Why I would not get an Xbox One or PS4

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
The reason is the GPUs on mobile phones are developing at a scary rate.

Tegra 5 out next year, with have more power than an Xbox 360 / PS3.

Tegra 6 (2015) will be a similar level to the Xbox One/PS4.

I think consoles are dead, and soon people will be using their mobile phones for everything.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    And yet people keep buying tablets and pc's and consoles etc... Don't think there's anything to worry about. How much will that Tegra 7 phone be, maybe £8/900?
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are growing at a very fast rate I agree, but I just can't take gaming on my phone or on a tablet seriously.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With all the preorders, launch parties world wide and millions of console gamers consoles are far from dead.
  • SteptoeSteptoe Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Phone or tablets for gaming?
    No thanks!
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think consoles are dead, and soon people will be using their mobile phones for everything.

2 big problems with that -

Firstly, storage. It's fine tablets / phones having super-duper graphics, but where are the console-killer games going to be stored?

Secondly, control. Touchscreens are OK for certain games, but they simply do not offer the the control versatility or subtlety of a joypad, not to mention the plethora of other peripherals available.

Tablet / phone games are fine as a distraction, but as a serious gaming device? Not a chance.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    ff -
    games could be stored on micro sd cards.

Joypads could connect wirelessly to the phones via bluetooth, tegra 5 out next year, will be 50% faster than ps3/xbox
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cant wait to play gta7 or call of duty 19 on a 3.5 inch screen and 30 minute battery life
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ff -

Joypads could connect wirelessly to the phones via bluetooth, tegra 5 out next year, will be 50% faster than ps3/xbox

What's the biggest Micro SD card out at the moment? 128 GB, which would hold 2 - 3 next gen games at a cost of £65 plus the price of the games. Even as SD Card prices come down and storage improves you'd have to have multiple cards for your games library. Fiddly, messy, expensive and easy to loose.

OK, so I pair a joypad with a phone. What then? You play haunched over the table, squinting at a 3 - 5 inch screen, with sound coming through tinny speakers. I'd rather lay back on the couch and gaze at my 50 inch TV while listening to surround sound thanks,

(And before you say plug the phone into the TV, what's the point when you can just buy a console and leave it there)
  • SteptoeSteptoe Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    So, for that reason, I'm out!
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    The technology may be advancing but mobile gaming has a looong way to go. Besides 46 > 4.3
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol, no thanks.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you listen to the BBC news, they both only have 8mb Ram :D
  • sparky07sparky07 Posts: 1,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ff -

Are you for real or is this some sort of wind up?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ff -

lol, not a chance will it be 50% faster than ps3/xbox.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    you are laughing now but just wait until next year and you'll see what phones are capable of
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you are laughing now but just wait until next year and you'll see what phones are capable of

My car is capable of doing 150mph..... Why would I want a Ferrari?

Capable is not comparable.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no way I'd want to play battlefield on a phone. Commander on a tablet is about as far as I'd want to go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While technology is accelerating at break neck speed but to say that big leaps in mobile phone power will dwarf console games is laughable.
    You have to consider that game developers have to create games according to what is available, not what may be available.
    Mobile gaming has come along way but can't see it ever replacing console game releases due to battery power usage and discomfort in playing for long times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah whatever, sounds to me like you just can't afford one and are one of those types who go around making negatives up.

Mobile phones NOW with all the cores, touch screens and top selling games can not compete with the entertainment that the 6-8 year old Xbox or Playstation provides and you think they'll match the new gen consoles which are out tomorrow? :eek:

Android smartphones, tablets and what not are big yes but they are what they've also been in the Nokia and snake days, something to play whilst you're having a log a work or waiting on the train. Its never going to compare with PS4 or Xbone. Just like a tablet is ok when watching tv and flicking through a few sites but is awful compared to a desktop or even laptop.

Think it'll be a long way before desktops and consoles are gone. I mean by your logic why aren't desktops which are ancient by design long gone which laptops and tablets around? ipad and what not. Exactly.

No way anyone in their right mind who wants a gaming would choose a £500+ new phone out over an Xbox/PS4. Have you actually ever tried to play Street fighter, fifa or similar with that touch screen dpad or tilt? :D:D:D How can that rubbish compare to a nice new controller and Killer Instinct or Fifa 14. No way those silly racers will compare to Forza either.

Nice story though, more of a day dream I'd say.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can already play games using my android phone on my big LG TV over wifi. But i dont, not since playing with it as a gimmick, because playing on a touch screen is crap compared to a console pad.
  • Hairy_CaramelHairy_Caramel Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    What kind of dullard would want to play a video game on a mobile phone?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you have something against consoles? Something out next year is faster then things made almost 10 years ago? Well I'll be damned.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The millions of people who preordered the PS4 and XBO combined disagree with this.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not the power, it's the screen sizes. even 'phablets' are too small for decent gaming and the prices of some of these phones/phablets are :eek: I sometimes game on my wife's 'iPad' and it can be fun but gimme a 50"+ screen any day. Also, for some people, it not just about screen resolution and size, lot's of gamer's have their consoles connected to their cinema for surround sound. no phones are ever going to compete with that. So 'no' consoles/gaming, has nothing to worry about from next gen phones/phablets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're obviously not going to replace consoles but I can see that tablets could offer more serious gaming in future and be some sort of alternative. What would be good is if there was a powered dock next to the TV which covered the HDMI connection to save you messing about with plugging cables in. Then turn on your Bluetooth wireless controller and away you go. Maybe there could even be a way of connecting an external hard drive to the dock to cover storage space for the games. None of this sounds very difficult to me. Tablets are popular and as they get more powerful they could be promoted as more serious gaming devices for the living room rather than simply portable devices for more basic touchscreen games.