sound problems,

jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just had to reformat my PC to get it working properly as non of the installed programs would load, I reinstalled all the programmes again and updated all the drivers, but after doing all of this I cant get any sound through my speakers, especially through youtube, the speakers are powered up and connected properly, but all I can hear is a rumbling sound, the volume is turned up to maximum through the volume setting and after selecting a video, I click on the volume control to get sound, but still nothing, any one have any ideas what I can do next?

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Look in Device manager next to Sound, any ? marks or exclamations !! ??
  • jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have checked that and on the Control Panel, the Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices allows me to see what the settings are, when I click the prompt to adjust the volume, I am now getting told that there is "No Audio Device" which means that I cannot adjust the volume at all, It seems to me that the Sound Card is not working anymore after reformatting and installing Service Pack 3 for Windows XP, The PC is made by Packard Bell and has a Pentium 4 Processor.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have checked that and on the Control Panel, the Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices allows me to see what the settings are, when I click the prompt to adjust the volume, I am now getting told that there is "No Audio Device" which means that I cannot adjust the volume at all, It seems to me that the Sound Card is not working anymore after reformatting and installing Service Pack 3 for Windows XP, The PC is made by Packard Bell and has a Pentium 4 Processor.

It probably means you haven't installed the drivers for the sound card. What's the exact model number of the PC? It should be on the case somewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    It probably means you haven't installed the drivers for the sound card. What's the exact model number of the PC? It should be on the case somewhere.

IMEDIA MC 9094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMEDIA MC 9094
    No, that's not going to help. Try putting the serial number in the site below:
    http://www.packardbell.co.uk/pb/en/GB/content/download

If not, if you can identify the year of manufacture and the name of the specific soundcard you can download drivers here:
    ftp://ftp.download.packardbell.com/DESKTOP/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    No, that's not going to help. Try putting the serial number in the site below:
    http://www.packardbell.co.uk/pb/en/GB/content/download

If not, if you can identify the year of manufacture and the name of the specific soundcard you can download drivers here:

I jotted down the serial numbers carefully and inputed them in to the first link but the website says it cannot find the model. I don't really know what year it was manufactured because I bought the tower from a family member who buys computers cheap and reprogrammes them to modern browsers. I took the cover off the tower and found a selection of numbers on the mother board and various microchips, jotted them down too and also typed them in but with the same result. I checked the second link but my soundcard was not listed. it seems to be a RTL 8101L and there was a batch of numbers on it too. It is driving me nuts trying to sort it out and get the sound back. it is probably something that can be fixed easily and quickly.
  • chappiechappie Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    you can get a sound card for less than a fiver on E bay, you don't have to use the built in one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I jotted down the serial numbers carefully and inputed them in to the first link but the website says it cannot find the model. I don't really know what year it was manufactured because I bought the tower from a family member who buys computers cheap and reprogrammes them to modern browsers. I took the cover off the tower and found a selection of numbers on the mother board and various microchips, jotted them down too and also typed them in but with the same result. I checked the second link but my soundcard was not listed. it seems to be a RTL 8101L and there was a batch of numbers on it too. It is driving me nuts trying to sort it out and get the sound back. it is probably something that can be fixed easily and quickly.

All I can suggest is that you try and download the RTL drivers in the folders on this site and try them one by one.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chappie wrote: »
    you can get a sound card for less than a fiver on E bay, you don't have to use the built in one
    I was thinking the same thing, having looked at ebuyer. Plenty there too for £5 to £10 (making sure you chose a compatible one). OP just has to weigh up the hassle of a driver search v small amount on a new card (assuming available slots).
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit basic I know, but in control panel, click sound, and make sure that the default sound device is set to what you want (all that reinstalling will have changed the defaults).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Big Thank You to everyone who took the time to give me advice. I was able to get Drivers for the sound (on CD-Rom) and was able to restore the sound today. :), :D
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pardon? :D