help with streaming music from PC to Panasonic BDT220 blu ray

DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just bought a Panny BDT220 and very happy with it, BD's look great, sound is great.

Set up the wifi - can get the catch up TV services like BBC iPlayer yet it cannot see the media on my PC.

I'm new to this so bear with me - I am using Media Player in my Win 7 PC for the actual streaming - have ticked the box to allow sharing/streaming and have allowed an external drive to be shared (that contains my music)

But nothing happens when I go into Network - the DVD player cannot see anything at all.

I think I am missing something really basic so if anyone can shed any light please do.

Comments

• mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought and maybe worth a try.....

No doubt you may have seen this and followed the guide
    http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/products/features/play-to

But, TBH, I never had a great deal of success streaming through WMP so this alternative is what works for me
    http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/desktops/how-to-stream-video-or-music-to-a-tv-xbox-or-ps3-using-dlna-50006196/

It takes very little configuration and virtually sets itself up
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't remember the "play to" bit, will try that when I get home and also look at the alternative software you linked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    an update if anyone is interested - still no luck. My PC does not see the DVD player as a media device to stream to on my home network and the DVD does not see a media player on the network to connect to.

Its strange as the DVD player can use the network to get internet services but not see anything else, also the DVD player shows up in my router as an attached device (I know this from its MAC address) but its not there as a device in Windows Network (my wife's laptop does though)
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is not that unusual for your PC to be unable to see the Panasonic. So I wouldn't be too worried about that for now.

I've looked in the manual online for this beastie and frankly it is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. About the only thing it mentions about streaming content off a PC is this
    When connected to other than DIGA,
    3 Add the contents and folder to the libraries of the Windows Media® Player or the smartphone, etc.
    ≥ Playlist of Windows Media® Player can play
    back only the contents that are stored in the
    libraries.

Which is not exactly the most informative set of instructions known to man. Not sure if this

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/Add-items-to-the-Windows-Media-Player-Library

will help work out if the problem is the WMP Libraries on your PC or something else entirely.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the blu-ray player capable of acting as a media streamer client ? Can't see anything in the spec or reviews that say's it is :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the blu-ray player capable of acting as a media streamer client ? Can't see anything in the spec or reviews that say's it is :confused:
    What specs are you looking at?

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/Home+Entertainment/Blu-ray+Players/DMP-BDT220/Specification/8904357/index.html?trackInfo=true

Says it has DLNA functions. Plus the manual, which can be downloaded from the Support tab on that page, does mention DLNA client a few times. But as I posted above only about ten words in total!
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    What specs are you looking at?

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/Home+Entertainment/Blu-ray+Players/DMP-BDT220/Specification/8904357/index.html?trackInfo=true

Says it has DLNA functions. Plus the manual, which can be downloaded from the Support tab on that page, does mention DLNA client a few times. But as I posted above only about ten words in total!

Try Twonky Media and/or PS3 Media Streamer on the PC. Never got anywhere with WMP on my Win 7 laptop.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A review here

http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-dmp-bdt220_Blu-ray-Player_review_features-and-operation_Page-2

which says:
    "The Wi-Fi connection also allows you to stream content from DLNA media servers running Windows 7 on your home network – as well as recordings stored on networked Panasonic DIGA recorders. Compatibility is limited to the file formats supported by Windows Media Player (including MP3, JPEG, DivX, AVCHD, MKV, WAV and FLAC) when using DLNA, but the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 also lets you connect to non-DLNA NAS drives and play a wider range of formats"

OP - out of interest did you try Serviio? As I said I had problems configuring WMP but Serviio found everything on the network automatically
    And, the user interface is better too IMHO
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes tried Servio, but the DVD still cannot see any media to connect to. Wondering now whether its a dud, its not the be all and all of it, its still does everything else brilliantly and I have used a local drive via its USB to play my media locally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update - now have streaming, and it was a strange thing to me, my main media library is on my PC is the spare room - it was hardwired to the router - everything else is wireless and I noticed everything wireless worked ok so I set up my main PC wirelessly and the Panasonic DVD/BD recognised the PC in the network.

Why would that make a difference?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    Update - now have streaming, and it was a strange thing to me, my main media library is on my PC is the spare room - it was hardwired to the router - everything else is wireless and I noticed everything wireless worked ok so I set up my main PC wirelessly and the Panasonic DVD/BD recognised the PC in the network.

Why would that make a difference?
    Shouldn't make a blind bit of difference. I have a number of different devices attached to my home network and it doesn't matter whether I use WiFi or a cable on my laptop I can still see everything.

The only things I can think of are different Network Groups between wired and wireless or (less likely) different IP subnets between the two.

When you set up a connection in Win 7 you can assign the connection to Home, Work or Public network. Having the computer in a different network to the other kit might stop them seeing each other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to try Servio as WMP just doesn't seem to work properly with lots of missing files, how do I tell the PC not to use WMP and use Servio instead, will there be conflicts otherwise?

Assuming I go into WMP and turn off streaming?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    what operating system are you using and have you allowed Media Sharing ?