Is Sam Strike (Johnny Carter) gay in real life? (Eastenders)

Comments

• Rick_PoppaRick_Poppa Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think as it's already been worked out and verified on Twitter that he is straight there really isn't any further need to discuss the matter further. It was a silly question anyway as who and what a person in the public limelight is is upto them, and not us.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rick_Poppa wrote: »
    No, just saying that threads questioning the sexuality of someone could be seen as slander, as could some of the posts in this thread...would you be able too afford court fee's IF an actor took DS or you personally to court over it?? people have been sent too prison for offensive Tweets remember, it could happen with posts.

Except asking if someone is gay isn't offensive in the slightest, and anybody that tried to sue for something so ridiculous would blatantly be laughed out of court. Nobody on here is saying that he IS gay. There's just a bit of speculation going on. It's not illegal and to say it is shows a very poor knowledge of the law.
  • SalomeSalome Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beaconboof wrote: »
    Actually, I think Sam Strike would be quite flattered by this thread. Clearly many viewers find him attractive, and not just in the superficial way either, but also by the fact that he is playing a very emotionally engaging character.

Sam certainly stirs the gay and straight imagination with his moving portrayal of budding gay desire and sensibility. Quite exceptional for a young soap actor. Can't wait to see more of him....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    _elly001 wrote: »
    Except asking if someone is gay isn't offensive in the slightest, and anybody that tried to sue for something so ridiculous would blatantly be laughed out of court. Nobody on here is saying that he IS gay. There's just a bit of speculation going on. It's not illegal and to say it is shows a very poor knowledge of the law.

:D:D

But some posters do post stuff like "I think he is gay, he shows the characteristics of it" and it's not nice. If a certain actor/actress is gay or lesbian, we are not one to gossip (as Dot Branning says) and it is also their private matter, not ours.
    Some actors/actresses wouldn't like people making threads about them and questioning their sexuality, they would feel really upset about it.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    :D:D

But some posters do post stuff like "I think he is gay, he shows the characteristics of it" and it's not nice. If a certain actor/actress is gay or lesbian, we are not one to gossip (as Dot Branning says) and it is also their private matter, not ours.
    Some actors/actresses wouldn't like people making threads about them and questioning their sexuality, they would feel really upset about it.

I would imagine that any young actor who takes on this sort of role will be aware that it comes with certain reactions from the public, and I'm sure that support has been put in place for Sam if he needs it. I remember reading an interview years ago with the actor who played Matthew (can't remember the character's surname but the one who was involved with Steve Owen in that Saskia murder storyline) and he said that him and Jack Ryder who played Jamie would regularly be yelled at by idiots on the tube etc. Unfortunately, I think Sam is going to have a great deal more to contend with than an innocent thread on DS asking about his sexuality. Not to mention some of the idiotic comments on Twitter which Danny Dyer has already highlighted.

Like it or not, sexuality is something that people are interested in. If you look at any actor message board on IMDB, there is 90% of the time a thread asking if they're gay. It's not something which is unique to DS. It's human nature to speculate, and as long as nobody is criticising him or saying 'yes, he definitely is' then I don't see what the issue is.
  • BeaconboofBeaconboof Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine that any young actor who takes on this sort of role will be aware that it comes with certain reactions from the public, and I'm sure that support has been put in place for Sam if he needs it. I remember reading an interview years ago with the actor who played Matthew (can't remember the character's surname but the one who was involved with Steve Owen in that Saskia murder storyline) and he said that him and Jack Ryder who played Jamie would regularly be yelled at by idiots on the tube etc. Unfortunately, I think Sam is going to have a great deal more to contend with than an innocent thread on DS asking about his sexuality. Not to mention some of the idiotic comments on Twitter which Danny Dyer has already highlighted.

Like it or not, sexuality is something that people are interested in. If you look at any actor message board on IMDB, there is 90% of the time a thread asking if they're gay. It's not something which is unique to DS. It's human nature to speculate, and as long as nobody is criticising him or saying 'yes, he definitely is' then I don't see what the issue is.

Very well said. If I was Sam, I'd get off twitter ASAP because it's a very disenchanting format. Some people just project impossible romantic ideals onto these gorgeous young actors and then before they know it, their every move is analyzed. It's scary as hell!
  • D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Why do people only wonder if real life reflects a soap role when the character is gay?!

Do they wonder if real life reflects the character they play when they play a

murderer
    rapist
    paedophile
    wife beater
    drug addict
    alcoholic

etc etc etc

No! Only if they are playing a gay character.

It's getting very boring!

Lol your post is funny cause it's so true at the same time! :D
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, I think Sam Strike would be quite flattered by this thread. Clearly many viewers find him attractive, and not just in the superficial way either, but also by the fact that he is playing a very emotionally engaging character.

This.

We're all bisexual anyway. ;)
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salome wrote: »
    Sam certainly stirs the gay and straight imagination with his moving portrayal of budding gay desire and sensibility. Quite exceptional for a young soap actor. Can't wait to see more of him....

Sam is that rare thing in soap, a young, good looking actor with real acting ability and potential. He has a real movie star name too doncha think??
    Cant see him staying more than a couple of years. I reckon he'll go onto bigger and better things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very well said. If I was Sam, I'd get off twitter ASAP because it's a very disenchanting format. Some people just project impossible romantic ideals onto these gorgeous young actors and then before they know it, their every move is analyzed. It's scary as hell!

I find him charming on Twitter.
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's approach on twitter is fine.

But there are some odd twitter followers begging for a follow though!
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have already seen a number of abusive tweets to him as well as countless tweets stating why did he have to play someone who was gay and others asking about his own sexuality.
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    I have already seen a number of abusive tweets to him as well as countless tweets stating why did he have to play someone who was gay and others asking about his own sexuality.
    It's all part of the general change, the oppressed will die out.
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    He's approach on twitter is fine.

But there are some odd twitter followers begging for a follow though!

I think all celebs get that ''please follow meeeee'', usually school kids isn't it?
  • SalomeSalome Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Sam is that rare thing in soap, a young, good looking actor with real acting ability and potential. He has a real movie star name too doncha think??
    Cant see him staying more than a couple of years. I reckon he'll go onto bigger and better things.

Sam's acting performance and looks do have an understated cinematic quality.
    As someone pointed out on another thread, he bears a striking resemblance to River Phoenix (My Own Private Idaho springs to mind) and evokes the romantic tradition of the sensitive (sad) young man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, he looks like the kind of kid you'd really feel sorry for, well that's what I think so far from Johnny in Eastenders, and it works. Particularly in this storyline.

I actually felt sorry for Johnny having to have kept a secret like that for so long and you could almost feel the relief when he'd finally told Mick.

It's all fine so far, I hope it stays that way! :)
  • corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    James J wrote: »
    This.

We're all bisexual anyway. ;)

Er . . . No, we are not.:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bearing in mind Sam Strike is straight (according that retweet etc) it is kind of baffling as to why certain twitter users are spamming Sam with basically, abuse.

There was one today that said "@samstrike GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY". Although I think the stupidity is obvious when the twitter user clearly can't differentiate between acting and reality.
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly would like to meet the trolls that waist there time in abusing actors and insulting them from a computer screen, I mean seriously are there own lives so sad and lonely that they have to resort to stuff like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah some trolls are scary, like, you just couldn't make it up.

Another odd one I saw was a recently opened account (since Friday's episode) of a boy saying thanks to Sam Strike & Danny Dyer for helping him come out etc but then there's tweets like "if I feel sad I just think of you and i'm okay again" and "please follow me to make my life easier".

There was about 20 tweets and the account was clearly opened to tweet Sam without others seeing, odd.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    The tweet in question:

Daran Little ‏@DaranLittle 1h
    Big kudos to the straight actors who've taken on gay roles I've written. @BrunoLangley @officialolivier @thejamessutton @SamStrike & others

Don't know why it annoyed me but it did a little bit. Why do straight actors playing gay characters need a special 'shout-out'? :confused: Also, Sam Strike is what... about 18? How on earth does this writer know if he's definitely straight? Is that a conversation they would have had? Just a weird tweet all round.

Well it must be quite challenging to play a character that is different to the actor's sexuality. Would be the same if a gay actor was playing a straight character.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    LilMissJen wrote: »
    Oh look another one of these threads. Its no one's business and doesn't affect how he acts on the show. Why is everyone so bloody obsessed with sexuality?

Cause humans have always been. Long before television.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam is getting bombarded on twitter again RE 'are you gay'
  • BeaconboofBeaconboof Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    Sam is getting bombarded on twitter again RE 'are you gay'

And he hasn't answered, he knows that retaining the mystery will make people want to watch his character. Good boy Sam.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sam is not dumb. Im sure not making a big pronouncement will keep the public interested in him.