Inexplicably popular "celebs"?

BatanyaBatanya Posts: 378
Forum Member
Some celebs are just inexplicably popular, no-one knows why and no-one admits to being a fan.

Keith Lemon is an obvious one to start with, ITV have obviously invested heavily in him and he pops up everywhere. Yet I have never met anyone (apart from a couple of 12 year olds who think he is hilarious) who actually likes him or his act.

Jonathan Ross: A terrible interviewer, and not funny at all, despite his desperate ambition to be Britain's answer to David Letterman. And there's only so many times that we can watch Jack Dee, Ricky Gervais or Keith Lemon being "interviewed" by him. (Do they have the same manager, by any chance??)

Ferne Cotton: A fast-approaching middle-age mother who still thinks she's "down with the kids"

Paddy McGuinness: Talentless, shouty moron.

Anyone else????

Comments

• cantelpitcantelpit Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Jeremy Clarkson has no apparent appeal to me, would love to know why he is popular
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a bit harsh on Fearne Cotton, she's only 33, is now a married mother and has a more mature persona these days.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe Swash - completely inexplicable
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Noel Edmonds
  • dirty dingusdirty dingus Posts: 2,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biggins, Miranda, Olly, Corden, the usual suspects.
  • Gail forceGail force Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Kylie Minogue. She cant sing cant dance seems void of any personality,yet the nations sweetheart.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Batanya wrote: »
    Some celebs are just inexplicably popular, no-one knows why and no-one admits to being a fan.

Keith Lemon is an obvious one to start with, ITV have obviously invested heavily in him and he pops up everywhere. Yet I have never met anyone (apart from a couple of 12 year olds who think he is hilarious) who actually likes him or his act.

Jonathan Ross: A terrible interviewer, and not funny at all, despite his desperate ambition to be Britain's answer to David Letterman. And there's only so many times that we can watch Jack Dee, Ricky Gervais or Keith Lemon being "interviewed" by him. (Do they have the same manager, by any chance??)

Ferne Cotton: A fast-approaching middle-age mother who still thinks she's "down with the kids"

Anyone else????

I don't get Keith Lemon either and Paddy McGuinness looks like a Butlins reject.
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyonce.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Price, Andre, Katona, Mark Wright, Olly Murs, Amy Childs, Joey Essex

All appear to have fans despite being void of any charm, charisma, likeability or talent
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ryland Clark - His popularity absolutely astounds me.
  • Badabing1966Badabing1966 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Myleene Klass, a woman who thinks she is the only woman on the planet to have ever given birth to children! Get's by on her looks and sob story marriage breaking up.

Also have to agree with Kylie, Can't sing, never written or produced a song in her life, has a lingerie and bedding line she doesn't design but quite happy to pretend it's all down to her ingenuity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Cheryl Cole (or whatever she goes by these days)

Can't sing, dance or act, yet seems to be inexplicably popular. Oh right, she's attractive. Shallow or what.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The TOWIE cast, past and present - a bunch of morons who are perpetuating the ridiculous 'Essex Boy/Girl' stereotype!

Katie Price - Talentless, monumentally thick and deeply unpleasant.

David Walliams - Mediocre actor who seems to play the same character in everything he does.

Mel Sykes - Pretty face, unpleasant personality.
  • J-StarJ-Star Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    I know middle age is a bit of a grey area in terms of where it begins but I don't think Fearne Cotton is 'fast approaching', she's in her early 30's!!!!
    She's hardly falling out of nightclubs with no underwear on either so im not entirely sure how you think she should be behaving?
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank goodness! I thought I was the only one who felt like this.

Someone mentioned Olly Murs - another choice I agree with.
  • eveningstareveningstar Posts: 19,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie Williams, I can never understand what people see in him, his looks, voice and personality don't appeal to me at all.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GracieL wrote: »
    Beyonce.

This. Lousy singer (anyone remember at the Grammys a couple of years back, a 71 year old Tina Turner completely sang her off the stage, it was hilarious) , can't dance, so far up herself she's coming out of her own mouth, and is held up as some sort of woman warrior when she essentially takes off her clothes and shakes her arse for a living.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batanya wrote: »

What may be inexplicable to you may be fully known and understood by others.

Since when can one person state that they know what ALL other folks think?
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    What may be inexplicable to you may be fully known and understood by others.

Since when can one person state that they know what ALL other folks think?

Great point, that'll teach the OP for trying to start a discussion.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »

I honestly am left completely mystified by his success, especially music wise :confused::confused::confused:
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    This. Lousy singer (anyone remember at the Grammys a couple of years back, a 71 year old Tina Turner completely sang her off the stage, it was hilarious) , can't dance, so far up herself she's coming out of her own mouth, and is held up as some sort of woman warrior when she essentially takes off her clothes and shakes her arse for a living.

I'm not a Beyonce fan at all, but that is just plain insulting. Lousy singer? Thanks for the laugh.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »

Yep, that was me. Everything about him makes me cringe. From his mockney wide boy act to his terrible drunk dad at a wedding dancing to his karaoke vocals and his absolutely shockingly poor songs. Just a no for me *shudders*
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly off tangent, but Ed Sheeran for me. I mean as a person he seems absolutely ace, but his music is just dirge to me.

Mockney twunt Olly Murs - both personality and music wise.

Adele - for the same reason as Ed Sheeran - seems lovely - but the music is foul.

Clarkson is an objectionable beast.
  • aero63aero63 Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    Also have to agree with Kylie, Can't sing, never written or produced a song in her life, has a lingerie and bedding line she doesn't design but quite happy to pretend it's all down to her ingenuity.

Think you'll find she has written a fair few songs, including some of her hits. Fair enough if you don't like her but at least bother to get it right.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, what a novel idea for a thread.....