Google virus?

Scrufox86Scrufox86 Posts: 838
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello all. I am not sure but i think i may have a google virus. In the default homepage it has this link: http://www.google.com/ig/redirectdomain?brand=TSEH&bmod=TSEH

Is that normal or do i have a virus?

Comments

• barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iGoogle is in process of being shut down, will be totally gone by November .... presume as bits go you'll get redirected or see error pages
  • Scrufox86Scrufox86 Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So i don't have the google virus then?

I can't figure out how to change my homepage to just google.

Edit - figured out how to change homepage.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look here for some iGoogle alternatives
    http://www.digitizd.com/2012/08/10/5-great-replacements-for-igoogle/
    Protopage is about the closet you'll get I think

But, ATM iGoogle is working for me as it always has
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just checked, igoogle still there for me ... works so long as i'm signed into a google account ... just use the short link www.google.co.uk/ig
  • Scrufox86Scrufox86 Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I do have some other questions though.

Is norton 360 any good? I have it on my laptop and it has got green ticks on things it has scanned and backed up. I have heard that norton 360 can be bad and i'd like to know why? I recently did a full system scan and it found no threats and i try to do quick scans every day. The quick scans find tracking cookies which norton says are low threats. What exactly are tracking cookies? And can they cause problems?

Also if when first turning the laptop on, is it normal for the NTFS scan to start on its own? This happened when i turned it on and although it did the scan and found nothing wrong i thought it was odd that it did it without me starting it. Is this indicating a virus?

I would really appreciate any replies as i don't know much about computers. Thanks in advance for any replies.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrufox86 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I do have some other questions though.

Is norton 360 any good? I have it on my laptop and it has got green ticks on things it has scanned and backed up. I have heard that norton 360 can be bad and i'd like to know why? I recently did a full system scan and it found no threats and i try to do quick scans every day. The quick scans find tracking cookies which norton says are low threats. What exactly are tracking cookies? And can they cause problems?

Also if when first turning the laptop on, is it normal for the NTFS scan to start on its own? This happened when i turned it on and although it did the scan and found nothing wrong i thought it was odd that it did it without me starting it. Is this indicating a virus?

I would really appreciate any replies as i don't know much about computers. Thanks in advance for any replies.

This has nothing to do with 'Google virus' so it's off topic.

However to answer your questions:
    Most people feel Norton 360 is a poor product, especially older versions.
    No, your PC shouldn't be doing a disk scan at startup. That means it thinks it wasn't shut down properly, nothing to do with a virus.

I suggest you ask these questions individually in separate threads and we'll try and help.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    life hacker alternative to igoogle:http://lifehacker.com/5952191/ighome-totally-looks-and-works-like-igoogle

norton
    most of the complaints I've heard about norton are it slowing down the PC, and the fact that it costs when there are free versions out there. If it works don't worry about it.

tracking cookieswebsites being nosey about what other websites you visit. if you're worried install a blocker
    http://lifehacker.com/5886976/do-not-track-plus-stops-ad-companies-and-others-from-tracking-you-online