RIP Ray Cusick

Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
Forum Member
Designer of the Daleks has died, breaking news on BBC News 24.

Comments

• king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have got to be joking, oh my, this is so terribly sad, RIP Ray :(
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    How sad. His most famous design are going to feature large this year. A shame he didn't get to see the tributes broadcast.

I've enjoyed his contributions to DVD extras. His commitment to getting the very best out of a limited budget was palpable. The success of the show is in no small part down to Ray Cusick.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news :(
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RIP Ray
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's so sad! R.I.P. Ray. :(

We've had a few people from the world's of Doctor Who die this year. Bernard Horsefall in January, plus Richard Briers and Elspet Gray last week. Rest in peace all of you.

I read on DS sometime last year of someone who wanted to know who created the Daleks. Someone else posted that it was Davros, then someone else said, ''No, it was actually Ray Cusick, cos he designed them. Davros created them in the show, but Ray designed them for the show back in early 1963.''
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad, very sad indeed.

His legacy will truly live on.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's so sad, and just months before the 50th anniversary of a show that owes so much of it's success to his designs - not just the Daleks but all sorts of stuff in the early days. They are as iconic as the TARDIS, and a crucial part of Doctor Who.

Davros, pah... Ray was the the real creator of the Daleks. And it's a testament to his brilliance that the design of the Daleks has barely altered since 1963 - and when they did try to 'update' the designs recently virtually no-one thought they were any good, which just proves how good the originals were.

Sleep well Ray,
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R.I.P. but what a legacy he leaves behind. Iconic design that is universally recognised and even after all these years still stirring the emotions.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible news in the 50th Anniversary year. He should have been there on 23rd November.

Thank you Ray. Without you, Doctor Who may not have lasted as long as it did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    That's so sad! R.I.P. Ray. :(

We've had a few people from the world's of Doctor Who die this year. Bernard Horsefall in January, plus Richard Briers and Elspet Gray last week. Rest in peace all of you.

I read on DS sometime last year of someone who wanted to know who created the Daleks. Someone else posted that it was Davros, then someone else said, ''No, it was actually Ray Cusick, cos he designed them. Davros created them in the show, but Ray designed them for the show back in early 1963.''

Pertwee stuck up for Cusick as the true creator over Nation on a competition results slot on a daytime show with Anne and Nick back in the 90s I believe - clip should be on the More than 30 years docu dvd out now.

Seemingly nice guy Cusick and too bad that he didn't get more royalties for his brilliant design - just the way life goes. RIP
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Such a shame he didn't see through the anniversary. RIP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a shame he didn't see through the anniversary. RIP.

The Daleks, such a unique and simple design that even today, nearly fifty years later, has it remained almost entirely unchanged. Sure, there have been slight changes in detail, and some paint jobs, but the Dalek are virtually unchanged from how they appeared all those years.

Only the TARDIS itself could rivial them in such a manner.

RIP Ray Cusick, your creations will always be around, exterminating all life simply because they're evil little buggers in tanks.
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sad that he won't be around for the 50th anniversary not only of the good Doctor but also of his iconic design.

RIP
  • ChapwithwingsChapwithwings Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pertwee stuck up for Cusick as the true creator over Nation on a competition results slot on a daytime show with Anne and Nick back in the 90s I believe - clip should be on the More than 30 years docu dvd out now.

Seemingly nice guy Cusick and too bad that he didn't get more royalties for his brilliant design - just the way life goes. RIP

He was a BBC employee so his design belonged to them. He was never going to get any royalties. However, I think it's fabulous that his passing is being recognised so publicly after years and years of being ignored and the importance of his part in the show being generally dismissed.

RIP Dalek daddy
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    How sad. His most famous design are going to feature large this year. A shame he didn't get to see the tributes broadcast.

I've enjoyed his contributions to DVD extras. His commitment to getting the very best out of a limited budget was palpable. The success of the show is in no small part down to Ray Cusick.

I was watching The Daleks on DVD last night (coincedentally) and the productions notes said that before the Daleks were introduced BBC execs were having doubts about the show.
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 200,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad news ............ RIP Ray Cusick. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh that's sad.:(
    Shame he didn't make it to the anniversary, to receive the richly deserved kudos that would undoubtedly have come his way for his iconic design.
  • hornbeamhornbeam Posts: 9,483
    Forum Member
    RIP Ray - those daleks were terrifying :(
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP thanks for the scares.

Must be wonderful to know that one of your designs has lasted 50 years and become iconic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Ray.

The timings so sad but I'm sure An Adventure in Space and Time will be a fitting tribute to your work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    He was a BBC employee so his design belonged to them. He was never going to get any royalties. However, I think it's fabulous that his passing is being recognised so publicly after years and years of being ignored and the importance of his part in the show being generally dismissed.

RIP Dalek daddy

Yeah no one could tell just how much of a (particularly 1960s) phenomenon they would turn out to be. But I am not exactly knocking Nation either as he came up with Survivors and Blake's 7 which are amazing shows as well.

I will do a little looking around for pertinent obituaries - if you are saying that that was the ';recognition'?
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC News obit report on Ray Cusick's death...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21563484
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guardian has a nice obituary which throws up a lot of what ifs. But I think as fans we did very well.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2013/feb/24/raymond-cusick
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :cry: