DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I still use MSN and have done since 2003, annoyed about this :(

Comments

• barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surprised msn was still going as the microsoft services that replaced it, windows 'live', are dead &/or dying
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't find any articles about this happening but I suppose it makes sense. I still use the web-app whenever I'm signed into Hotmail if anyone is around but that's about it.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    I gave up on Live Messenger about 6 years ago after many years of use. I then signed in about a year or 2 later out of curiosity and I think there was only like 5 or so people out of the 40odd on my list actually online. Presumably people have moved on to other services or just use Facebook etc.

I guess it does make logical sense from Microsoft's point of view as it must be costing them a fortune to keep running despite it essentially doing the same thing as Skype.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the chat seems to be blended into the new online outlook replacement for live (hot)mail ... so skype isn't necessary perhaps
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new "Messaging" app on Windows 8 negates the need to even have separate apps - it draws from Facebook/MSN/Skype etc. It works really well and looks great. Just needs the ability to send files, but then I guess they want you to use "Mail" for that.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nooooooooooooo, we use MSN to communicate at work!
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dynopia wrote: »
    I still use MSN and have done since 2003, annoyed about this
    :(
    barky99 wrote: »
    surprised msn was still going as the microsoft services that replaced it, windows 'live', are dead &/or dying
    :rolleyes:
    MSN is a content portal website. MSN branded Messenger was discontinued almost 7 years ago !

If it's true that messenger is being folded into Skype, there'll be no more (wrongly) calling it MSN!
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    The new "Messaging" app on Windows 8 negates the need to even have separate apps - it draws from Facebook/MSN/Skype etc. It works really well and looks great. Just needs the ability to send files, but then I guess they want you to use "Mail" for that.

There will be many people for may years who will not have Windows 8 and even then, they may not want to use a full screen app.

I use Digsby, which allows me to access Microsoft messenger, aim and Yahoo and it is nice to have it on the same screen I am working on, so if any one do leave a message I can see it.

I have used and still do use skype, but not as often as I used to, but I never really seen what the fuss is about it, because sound quality is to be honest awful on it.

Also after seeing that skype gave private info of a 16 year old to a security firm, I am not sure if I want to use it again.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know anyone who still uses MSN/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    I don't know anyone who still uses MSN/

i know a few, even if it is not via the MSN software itself.
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope not, I use it everyday and have done for about 10 years.
    DJGM wrote: »
    MSN is a content portal website. MSN branded Messenger was discontinued almost 7 years ago !

Who cares? Everyone knows what you mean when you say MSN.
  • morskimorski Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Seems to be official now rather than just a rumour. BBC News

Mentioned it to my daughter that this could be closing down as such earlier this evening, she's 17 years old and her answer was "oh no one uses that anymore, they're all on Facebook, whatsapp or Blackberry now". As I had mentioned it, she decided to log in for the first time in about 3 years, out of 104 contacts on her list not one was showing as online, even she was surprised that not one person was showing as online. Looks like it might be the right decision from MS based on that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i posted the story on facebook yesterday, it upset a few people and some people got confused and thought their hotmail address would be going.

so I put them right and said their address will still be staying.
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,845
    Forum Member
    msn does so much more than chat. theres loads of good games that you can't get anywhere on the web. you can print screen photos and paste them to share without having to send. you can have multi chats with loads of people. does skype do any of this?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Switch to Skype then. Easy.

Personally, I don't think I've use MSN/Live messenger in about 5 years.
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read it's more they are merging the two and will move Skype IM on the MSN infrastructure and keep the Skype brand. Whatever they do I hope they keep the XMPP support as Pigdin/Adium don't support Skype and the Skype client sucks balls.
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    Everyone knows what you mean when you say MSN.

Guess its successful branding for those who have been round a long time in the web world. I still call it MSN only because of when I used it all those years ago and the name has stuck with me. The same with Hotmail. Even though its been rebranded and shifted over to Outlook, I still check my Hotmail despite its not called that no more.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're all close to the truth but not exactly there. The Windows Live messaging network has already been moved to Skype (which is also capable doing FB chat). All that is happening now is that the Windows Live Messenger application is being discontinued and Skype will be their only desktop application for instant messaging.
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    You're all close to the truth but not exactly there. The Windows Live messaging network has already been moved to Skype (which is also capable doing FB chat). All that is happening now is that the Windows Live Messenger application is being discontinued and Skype will be their only desktop application for instant messaging.

Skype doesnt have games
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    I've read it's more they are merging the two and will move Skype IM on the MSN infrastructure and keep the Skype brand. Whatever they do I hope they keep the XMPP support as Pigdin/Adium don't support Skype and the Skype client sucks balls.
    I remember having the big 3 (AIM, YIM and MSN) and MSN was notorouisly bad as an application. It had major stability problems with it randomly signing you out, performing file transfers etc and to make it any good you had to use stuff like messpatch and the plus addon. Microsoft would then release a new version and it would be a battle to get it all working again so that was one of the reasons I got fed up with it. When I got my Mac I was using Adium which was so much better in comparison...nice clean interface and much more stable. From then on in Windows I only ever bothered with Pidgin. Sure it lacked the eyecandy and some of the toys but it was a much better app.
  • excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I can't find any articles about this happening but I suppose it makes sense. I still use the web-app whenever I'm signed into Hotmail if anyone is around but that's about it.

Microsoft and Skype to axe world's most popular IM client early 2013
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »

If it's true that messenger is being folded into Skype, there'll be no more (wrongly) calling it MSN!

There is reason to be pendantic when people are trying to determine if you mean Megabyte or bit, but everyone knows what people mean when you say MSN.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    MSN really does show how quickly things can go out fashion on the web, 10 years or so ago everyone was on...I was on it all night during my school/college days.

Changing its name to Windows Live really was the beginning of the end though, it just never felt the same with the new name
    Forum Member
    MSN really does show how quickly things can go out fashion on the web, 10 years or so ago everyone was on...I was on it all night during my school/college days.

Changing its name to Windows Live really was the beginning of the end though, it just never felt the same with the new name

its the same software though:confused: