Bbc 2 Hd

Comments

• DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problem here as I use a HTPC set up.

All channels go where I put them and get called anything I want to call them. They don't have numbers, just positions on a list that I can edit and change at will.

BBC1HD replaced BBC1SD in the first position a long time ago on my set up and the SD version is relegated to section at the very bottom. BBC2SD will be joining it next week as I move BBCHD into its second slot and rename it.
    I dunno what I'll do with the LCN 5 now. I could just bump up channels 6-20 to 5-19 but there isn't much point unless I need space for a new channel at some point.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll have to do something similar with my Samsung TV, move BBC TWO HD to channel 2 and put BBC TWO SD on 998 beside BBC ONE SD on 999. I have to keep the SD channels tuned in for the red button services to work on any BBC channel, but I never watch the SD versions.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one who leaves the channels where they were?

And I've just submitted to the pre-moderated (how convenient!) blog:
    "Any broadcasting bigwig who refers to the channel name change as a 'journey' really needs to have a word with themselves. What a song and dance about nothing. You've stripped BBC HD of all the good HD content from 3 and 4 for a long time. Word has it, those programmes will go straight to Iplayer, although, as has been suggested, there's no reason why you can't have a late night repeat for them on BBC2HD.

I only hope that the change from BBCHD to BBC2HD will mean that you drop the dumb DOG from the corner of the screen. And do that for all BBC channels too. We viewers know what channel we're watching. Unlike the marketing people, it appears(!)"
  • malcybmalcyb Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    According to the below link the BBC HD Channel will morph into the BBC-2 HD Channel from next Monday Night / Tuesday Morning 26th of March from closedown at around 01.20am till BBC-2 HD takes over at 06.05am with a "loop" of Testcards.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/posts/HD-Test-Card-Special
    and on sound? tone or music?
  • jazzfunksterjazzfunkster Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Could the vacated Sky EPG positions 168 and 169 be reserved for the launch of BBC Three HD and BBC Four HD?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could the vacated Sky EPG positions 168 and 169 be reserved for the launch of BBC Three HD and BBC Four HD?

Doubtful. AFAIK they have to duplicate their channels on all platforms, including Freeview, and both of those won't fit in the space.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Doubtful. AFAIK they have to duplicate their channels on all platforms, including Freeview, and both of those won't fit in the space.
    freeview will have two extra dvb-t2, so HD, muxs from the end of 2014, so Ive heard. So yes there will be space on freeview after then, so leaving two channel numbers free wouldnt be behond possibility. Although as some people pointed out earlier the BBC 1 and 2 NI SD channels are currently on 141 and 142 for people in Irelend, so they might move them to 168 and 169
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcyb wrote: »
    According to the below link the BBC HD Channel will morph into the BBC-2 HD Channel from next Monday Night / Tuesday Morning 26th of March from closedown at around 01.20am till BBC-2 HD takes over at 06.05am with a "loop" of Testcards.
    and on sound? tone or music?

The 5.1 Soundcheck, I should think.
  • Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    malcyb wrote: »
    If you're reading this, Andy Q, can I come in and run the BBC/BREMA Colour Television Receiver Film from TK24 one last time?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Andy lurks on here: ask nicely on his blog!
  • tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan's Dad wrote: »
    If you're reading this, Andy Q, can I come in and run the BBC/BREMA Colour Television Receiver Film from TK24 one last time?

... and all the trade test films that you must have run from there over the years.

Luckily one film that you didn't get to run continuously was the epic Home Office production : "Protect and survive".

Seriously though, Andy Quelstead is making a good point by having a test card event in the overnight interregnum between BBC-HD and BBC-2HD; an initiative does need to be in place to at least encourage consumer-end awareness around proper set-up.

The issue of the itv dog, starting right on the visible area border, and slowly drifting inwards was somewhat illuminating. Had ITV's system architects forgotten that most domestic displays are shipped with overscan=on, and most consumers won't change the defaults?

Do you remember Sky's instructional/test HD sequence with Myleen Class? The purpose was to ensure that the domestic 5.1 set-up was complete and correct. Should the BBC or the whole industry make a set of instructional material to demonstrate how to set-up and test HD and surround sound receivers.

The important thing to note was that in the days of the Colour Receiver Installation Film, there was considerable technical expertise in the domestic equipment distribution chain, now there is something between none and totally minimal. As TV's become internet connected smart devices, will future broadcasters distribute an app which checks for settings and their consistency with the broadcast environment?
    Forum Member
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    I don't think Andy lurks on here: ask nicely on his blog!
    He has posted here
    .... I would allow any 35mm programme well transferred to HD to carry an HD badge.
    and seems to agree with my view that 35mm is potentially the best ;)

and, anyway, the joke is better placed here than on his blog -

its a nod to those that deny the BBC ever used 35mm for their own productions and to those who allege I am paid £x.00 per post by the BBC.

{and TK24, which usually sourced Trade Test Transmissions, was taken out of service a quarter of a century ago!}
    Forum Member
    tedjrr wrote: »
    ... and all the trade test films that you must have run from there over the years.
    My, what a memory you have!
    Luckily one film that you didn't get to run continuously was the epic Home Office production : "Protect and survive".
    You've been reading this, then!
    F&E wrote: »
    I think the film was from the COI.
    Forum Member
    tedjrr wrote: »
    Should the BBC or the whole industry make a set of instructional material to demonstrate how to set-up and test HD and surround sound receivers.
    Yes, and transmit it at least weekly!
  • Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Protect and survive"

It might be prudent to start showing these again, what with tNorth Korean leader/nutter Kim Jong-uns` rants.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol we really would be in problems if a nuclear threat was that close! a bit off topic though
  • tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    lol we really would be in problems if a nuclear threat was that close! a bit off topic though

Digital Spy Forums would stage a heated debate over the continuous showing an aging 16mm print on all the HD channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    freeview will have two extra dvb-t2, so HD, muxs from the end of 2014, so Ive heard. So yes there will be space on freeview after then, so leaving two channel numbers free wouldnt be behond possibility. Although as some people pointed out earlier the BBC 1 and 2 NI SD channels are currently on 141 and 142 for people in Irelend, so they might move them to 168 and 169

Ta for the info. I'd like more variety on an HD channel than the endless repeated programmes, so one Freeview HD channel could more than sort out all the programmes on BBC3 and BBC4.
    Object Z wrote: »
    "Protect and survive"

It might be prudent to start showing these again, what with tNorth Korean leader/nutter Kim Jong-uns` rants.;)

The game Homefront had this pinned in for 2027. Might happen sooner than that, indeed :D
    http://dvdfever.co.uk/?p=48
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I have to record 4 hours 40 minutes of test cards?

Just as well I just installed a new 1TB Hard Drive in my HTPC that is relatively empty.

Just one question: Will she ever finish that bloody Crossword?!
  • AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just as well I just installed a new 1TB Hard Drive in my HTPC that is relatively empty.

Noughts and crosses?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

lol the x is there to mark the centre of the screen!

oh and the test card thing is on a 10min apx repeat loop so the advice from Andy Quested on his BBC blog page is:
    The loop is 10 minutes long so set your PVRs for about a 30 minute recording any time after the last programme (please check the EPGs just in case there are last minute schedule changes) until around 6.00am.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I already have the test 10 second card and a few of the idents saved. Will record the special test cards on the final morning and that'll be the end of that.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AxG wrote: »
    Noughts and crosses?

Yes! that as well! :p
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More news on the future of non BBC One/BBC Two HD content appearing on iPlayer.
    First of all, a few of you (@3, @4, @8, @12, @14) wrote about the scope to offer HD programmes on BBC iPlayer. I've confirmed with my iPlayer colleagues that the position is as follows. By the end of this year we hope that all programmes produced in HD will be available in HD on iPlayer, regardless of whether they have been broadcast on an HD channel. In the meantime, HD content on iPlayer has to have been broadcast on an HD channel, or else have been selected to be put through a separate process. There’s a limit to the number of hours of programming per week that can go through that process, but over the coming months we will be selecting those programmes carefully to try to minimise disappointment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/posts/BBC-Two-HD
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that the iPlayer team cannot offer Non broadcast HD content till the end of the year makes me feel they haven't thought everything through. It should of been ready for when the switch happened, not 8 months after.

Delivering Quality First my arse.