Is eating too much black pepper bad for you?

bubblepopbubblepop Posts: 82
Forum Member
I made my dad lunch. Fish finger, last couple bits of french fries left and green peas. I put some pepper on and I was clumsy, about half a tablespoon of pepper fell onto his plate:(. Too much pepper for the food on his plate. But didn't want to waste and make the food again so just gave it to him.

My dad is diabetic and takes Metmorfin, he says he finds food tastes weird, tasteless or bitter at times.

So in addition to the pepper, he took hot chilli sauce and salt with his food.

I am worried though, is too much pepper/heat bad for health?

Comments

• cartreecartree Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely "too much" of anything is bad for by definition, otherwise it isn't "too much"?

Hope this helps.
  • bubblepopbubblepop Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    I guess your right. I just hope he doesn't have bad stomach afterwards otherwise I will feel guilty:(.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard too much pepper makes your urine turn purple.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I heard too much pepper makes your urine turn purple.

Now where did you hear that ????
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't that beetroot?:confused:
  • BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    Too much pepper on a diabetic's dinner can actually make their bodies explode with sufficient force to destroy at least 3 houses. Your dad was lucky this time.
  • LeatherTrumpetLeatherTrumpet Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I poisoned a friend once when i put too much salt and a small duracell into his omelette

You can imagine the charge sheet..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Now where did you hear that ????

I didn't, I made it up
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    Isn't that beetroot?:confused:

That sounds plausible - she should definitely try that :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't, I made it up

That's sounds plausible - she should definitely try that :D
    You are very naughty!:D
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you google
    eating too much pepper
    -, the answers seem to suggest that black pepper is very good for you, s I wouldn't worry, OP.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just be glad it wasn't nutmeg, OP! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Why? What happens?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? What happens?

Someone once told me too much of it could get you high... :o
    Forum Member
    I didn't, I made it up

That sounds plausible - she should definitely try that :D
    You are very naughty!:D

Hobbit Feet is a pup surely !!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What sort of dosage are we talking?:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I hope not :eek:, I love it and put tonnes of it on almost everything, well apart from desserts, although I suppose there is always a 1st time for everything!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What sort of dosage are we talking?:eek:

:D I dunno! *off to google*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think you have to inhale it, don't you? :confused:

I found this: http://www.truthtree.com/Nutmeg.shtml You can eat or inhale to get high, but it is very dangerous.

Does nutmeg come with warnings on the packaging? I had no idea until now that there were any dangers associated with it.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Is black pepper good for you? In truth, there is no simple answer to this question. There have not been enough studies on black pepper to verify if it is overall healthful and beneficial, detrimental, or neither. There are, however, plenty of suggestions as to the benefits (and negatives) associated with black pepper. Here are a few of them:

Possible Benefits of Black Pepper:

· Alleviates hemorrhoids

· Alleviates gas

· Alleviates constipation

· Improves digestion - just think, by grinding or shaking black pepper onto your meal, you may actually be aiding yourself in the digestion of that meal. How? Black pepper stimulates the taste buds, alerting your stomach to increase its hydrochloric acid secretion which aids in digestion.

· Alleviates loss of appetite - again, black pepper wakes up and stimulates your taste buds.

· Promotes sweating

· Promotes urination

· Anti-bacterial effect

· Anti-oxidant effect

· Stimulates the breakdown of fat cells

· Inhaling vapor from black pepper extract may reduce withdrawal symptoms associated with quitting smoking - this theory is still being tested...

· Piperine - an alkaloid found in black pepper - could enhance the bioavailability of some nutritional substances and drugs. It also may have anti-carcinogenic properties and anticonvulsant

Possible Negative Effects of Black Pepper

· According to at least one study, black pepper may cause an increase in parietal secretion (of hydrochloric acid - the acid abovementioned as an aid to digestion) and pepsin secretion and a loss in potassium.

· Also, there is a chance of mucosal mircrobleeding and even gastric bleeding due black pepper (due, at least in part, to the above-stated secretions).

· Piperine may actually be carcinogenic (although some studies show that it is anti-carcinogenic...) and it might even have negative effects on sperm and interfere with reproductive processes.

All in all, it seems that more likely than not, black pepper has positive health benefits. But before you start loading black pepper onto every single meal, realize that there are possible negatives, as well (which can practically be said about most any food!)"

I don't think half a tablespoon is going to be life threatening however.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Hobbit Feet is a pup surely !!

a pup?

I might be, depending on context of course. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sofieellis wrote: »
    I think you have to inhale it, don't you? :confused:

I found this: http://www.truthtree.com/Nutmeg.shtml You can eat or inhale to get high, but it is very dangerous.

Does nutmeg come with warnings on the packaging? I had no idea until now that there were any dangers associated with it.

I don't think it does come with a warning-- though that might just encourage some if it did! Yeah, everything I've come across so far says it has some pretty bad/dangerous side effects and it takes about 4-8 teaspoons to have a hallucinogenic effect.

Don't do it, kids! (sorry I mentioned it now :o)
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? What happens?

Too much Nutmeg will make you ill.
    “Possible nausea during first hour; may cause vomiting or diarrhea in isolated cases. Takes anywhere from one to five hours for effects to set in. Then expect severe cottonmouth, flushing of skin, severely bloodshot eyes, dilated pupils. “Intense sedation”. Impaired speech and motor functions. Hallucinations uncommon in average (5-10 gm) doses. Generally followed by long, deep, almost coma-like sleep (expect 16 hours of sleep afterward) and feelings of lethargy after sleep.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

As a teenager I was once told that putting nutmeg into a joint gets you high, it didn't, it just made me a bit queasy :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it does come with a warning-- though that might just encourage some if it did! Yeah, everything I've come across so far says it has some pretty bad/dangerous side effects and it takes about 4-8 teaspoons to have a hallucinogenic effect.

Don't do it, kids! (sorry I mentioned it now :o)

I'm beginning to wonder if this is why I always crave egg custards with the nutmeg sprinkled on top :o:D
    Forum Member
    a pup?

I might be, depending on context of course. :(

You are a pup.

Urban dictionary deines you as
    a person who undertakes needless and comical troublemaking against a friend purely for their own and the people around them's amusement.
    :D:D:D