Anyone going to get a Surface Pro ?

BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
Forum Member
✭✭✭
They should be out in the UK very soon.

I need to get a Win 8 machine at some point to convert/test my software to runs in the new interface.

I'm not really interested in RT as, like all the tablets running on ARM processors, I don't believe they are powerful enough to run "real" software.

However the PRO is full windows machine and the pixel precise stylus input has got me quite interested. I can see quite a few interesting possibilities for this device as my software is very user interactive.

Has anyone used one of the other PRO tablets Like the Samsung ATIV and got feedback that they'd like to give?

Comments

• user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was interested but after reading quiet a few reviews I have had second thoughts.

I think the DPI set to 150% on a small 1920x1080 screen will make prolonged use uncomfortable, also the short battery life is a concern :(

I would love a tablet but I'm thinking for a few of £100 more I could get a device with a bigger touch screen, if I sacrifice portability, for me portability is not essential.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a summary of Paul Thurrot's articles describing his experiences in trying to use a Surface Pro to replace a laptop, with links to the individual articles: http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/going-pro
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    My dad said he'd love one if he won the lotto. I think he likes the concept of having a full laptop in a tablet-sized device and reckons it would be a great machine for travel. Even a self-confessed Machead like me thinks the concept is quite good :p
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have got Surface RT so that's my tablet urges covered. For the rest I have a Samsung S9 ultrabook :D But I may consider the Surface pro as well. Apparently it's very good for drawing. I read a review where the guy who draws comics professionally now uses it as his portable drawing device.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I have got Surface RT so that's my tablet urges covered. For the rest I have a Samsung S9 ultrabook :D But I may consider the Surface pro as well. Apparently it's very good for drawing. I read a review where the guy who draws comics professionally now uses it as his portable drawing device.

Is that the 15-inch Series 9? I'm surprised there haven't been more utra-thin PCs at the larger screen sizes.

The comic was Gabe of Penny Arcade.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Is that the 15-inch Series 9? I'm surprised there haven't been more utra-thin PCs at the larger screen sizes.

The comic was Gabe of Penny Arcade.

No, 13'', 1600x900 resolution, i7 processor.
  • Tinky-WinkyTinky-Winky Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Is the Surface's screen size limiting for people without 20:20 vision?

TW
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

Is the Surface's screen size limiting for people without 20:20 vision?

TW

It's not an issue on the "metro" (tiles) side of things as the tiles scale well and so do the app elements.

The only issue is on the desktop, but you can scale up the size of the icons (DPI scaling is set to 150% as default) which makes the text and icons bigger and more eye-friendly.

Personally, I think it was too soon for the RT version to come out and the Pro has some compromising foibles.

An Intel Atom Surface with 1366 x 768 resolution would have been a good first product - more power than the RT version but still good battery life and all the software compatibility that x86 brings.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that.

I have used DPI settings in windows in the past and have found that not all software plays fair, the only way to be sure that all your software displays OK is to use DPI @ 100%.

I had some trouble with the trail of windows 8 where is did not display everything correctly even at DPI set to 125%.

TW
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    This is a summary of Paul Thurrot's articles describing his experiences in trying to use a Surface Pro to replace a laptop, with links to the individual articles: http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/going-pro

Thanks for that link, quite interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that.

I have used DPI settings in windows in the past and have found that not all software plays fair, the only way to be sure that all your software displays OK is to use DPI @ 100%.

I had some trouble with the trail of windows 8 where is did not display everything correctly even at DPI set to 125%.

TW

I think it's important to think of the Surface Pro as a versatile machine and that in different scenarios you would use it differently. We know that the Surface Pro is not truly any one form factor but has a bit of all, but let's take each one in turn.

1) Tablet: I think in tablet mode, you would want to try and stick to metro-land as much as you can so the hi-DPI means you have great looking text and images and there's no tiny-icon issue.

2) As a laptop "on the go" - you probably want to make more use of the desktop - perhaps the odd metro app snap view too. Here, you may have some difficulties - your mileage varies very much on depending on what you want to do. If it's just OS stuff like file management then DPI scaling will help. Much of the Office suite has a slider so you can zoom in to things. On other software, you may have issues, I don't have personal experience of the Surface Pro, I can imagine things like photoshop will be a bit of eye-strain.

3) As a laptop on the desk - I would want to hook up to the larger monitor using displayport, I would want to use a real keyboard and mouse - probably bluetooth ones or connected to a USB hub. Here, I would be using the internal hardware of the Surface Pro but would not need to look at its screen - except maybe to act as a wacom pen tablet.

Most devices can only offer two of the above scenarios and only one really well. Historically, devices have focused on offering scenarios 2 and 3 with the tradeoff of 2 and 3 being portability (via weight, screen size, thickness) versus capability (performance, storage, screen size and resolution).

The Surface Pro I think can be a good machine for those who primarily want scenarios 1 and 3. Use it in tablet mode on the go where metro means everything's great visually and as a mac mini-type device on the desk. It can do scenario 2 poorly - it would be a netbook type experience but the option is at least there.

I travel a fair amount for business - using a Lenovo X220 on the go for scenarios 2 and 3 (business use) and an iPad for scenario 1 (consumer use).

My initial thought was having two devices (ultrabook + tablet) would offer more comfortable devices for each scenario and better battery life with the biggest compromise being extra weight and switching between devices. If I had a lot of tablet use in the business context, I would consider the Surface Pro: the smaller footprint definitely helps on the limited space on train tables and aeroplane seat trays. It would be a negative in hotels and client sites only if I couldn't plug in a decent keyboard, mouse and screen.
  • snuffle_-_uksnuffle_-_uk Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we know how much one is in the UK yet?
    Forum Member
    Thank you so much TheBigM for that very comprehensive reply, it was very useful.

TW