HD TV question for Nigel

Nigel,

Have had a browse at what's available in the way of 37"-42" plasma sets after my 37" Sharp LCD's screen some how got badly scratched.

I've noticed that in the main, non smart Panasonic and Samsung plasmas only go up to 720p, even the sets with Freeview HD built in. Is there a reason for this? Cost/corner cutting?

I have a 19" Panasonic LCD in my bedroom which is 1080p, so it's not like Panny have an aversion to full HD.

Comments

• grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    With a set that small (19") is full HD necessary? :)
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    With a set that small (19") is full HD necessary? :)

Probably not, but I needed a set that was a specific maximum height including the stand, and the Panasonic fitted the bill, as well as being a quality little telly. There was little else that fitted between the two shelves where I need to put the TV.
  • cornishpasty1cornishpasty1 Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    Nigel,

Have had a browse at what's available in the way of 37"-42" plasma sets after my 37" Sharp LCD's screen some how got badly scratched.

I've noticed that in the main, non smart Panasonic and Samsung plasmas only go up to 720p, even the sets with Freeview HD built in. Is there a reason for this? Cost/corner cutting?

I have a 19" Panasonic LCD in my bedroom which is 1080p, so it's not like Panny have an aversion to full HD.

Are you sure ?
    I've had Panasonic tv's for a good few years now and apart from the one I had about 7 years ago which was 720 all the rest have been 1080p even the non smart ones.
    Are these old models you're looking at ?

Richer Sounds do a 37" LED ( miles better than plasma if you want brighter pictures) 3D Smart tv for £499 including a free 5 year warranty.
    I suspect its a discontinued model as Panny are dumping 37" and switching to 39"
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The non smart models in all makers range are very much the poor relation in terms of screen and screen driver circuitry .

If you are looking at something like the current pana tx-p42x60 its intended to be there "supermarket" special that is circa one fifth of a proper TV .

Go and view it and make your own mind up -- bearing in mind that if you bought one you could end up having to watch it !!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was looking at this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-P42X60B-42-inch-Freeview-Plasma/dp/B00BMQA71S/ref=dp_ob_title_ce as an example. Seems to be a 2013 non smart model with built in HD freeview, so it's not old by any means. It's on the cheap side, but it's still a Panny.
    Forum Member
    Was looking at this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-P42X60B-42-inch-Freeview-Plasma/dp/B00BMQA71S/ref=dp_ob_title_ce as an example. Seems to be a 2013 non smart model with built in HD freeview, so it's not old by any means. It's on the cheap side, but it's still a Panny.
    Does seem cheap for a 42" plasma.
    I had a £1100 Panny 42" plasma for 7 days and it was awful as it was not possible to adjust the brightness and contrast to levels I was used to with my previous LCD.
    If you're switching from LCD please try it at home first before committing .
    I can't urge you strongly enough to try out the plasma in your regular viewing setup at home (not the shop) before going ahead .
    I would have been gutted if I'd been stuck with the plasma set I got .
    Their LED range is superb . I settled on 37" as they only do 3D over 37" on plasma. The plasma even gave my wife headaches - and that was without watching in 3D.

When my son got his LED from Richer Sounds they had a 50" plasma on the wall for only £600 and the picture was the worst in the shop - and thats even including the Samsung , Toshiba and LG sets they had.
    But I guess its down to whether you like bright colourful images as to whether plasma does the job for you.

Having enjoyed Toy Story 3 on Bluray with startling quality on LCD it was one of the first I tried with the plasma and the HD quality I'd seen before simply wasn't there ( and that was 1080p)

One of the two engineers who returned to swap the set over also agreed with me after he asked my reasons for sending it back ( if only he'd mentioned it before ) although his colleague didn't agree
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a 42" Pioneer plasma from 2007 which was £1800 full price (got it for £1000 when it was discontinued), and it's still the best TV I've ever seen in terms of picture and sound quality. It's true you get what you pay for.

It's disappointing see such a bad review of Panasonic plasmas.
  • robbrarobbra Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had the 42" Panasonic metioned above,
    At first I thought I'd made a mistake, the picture was lifeless and seemed grey even after tweeking. Now two weeks on it's bright and possibly the best I've seen with natural colours and no motion blur whatsoever although reflections in the sunny weather can be a pain.
    I got mine from John Lewis.
    Very happy and I now have extra heating for the front room in winter:)
    Can't understand the improvement so do plasmas bed in like a car?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    Nigel,

First off, no they don't - 720 resolution sets were extremely rare, and I'm not aware of any of any recent vintage?. Almost all HD Ready sets are 768 pixel, they just need to meet the minimum of 720 pixels.

The reason for plasma's is restrictions in technology (it took a LONG time for them to be able to make 1080 Plasma panels, early ones weren't even PAL SD resolution).

Because of the technological limitations it's more expensive to make 1080 panels, so they can make cheaper Plasma sets by limiting them to HD ready only, with 768 pixel panels.

Plasma is far more complicated than LCD, and I would imagine far more expensive to make? - it's hampered by so many limitations of the technology - like only a single brightness level of a pixel (so to alter brightness you have to fire each pixel multiple times) this limits the number of grey-scale levels you can have, and also limits the possible refresh rates. This is why Plasma sets don't exceed 100Hz refresh rates (the claimed 600Hz figures etc. aren't refresh rates, just an advertising con).
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    robbra wrote: »

Very much so - they 'burn in' over the first few weeks, and it's this that makes them prone to screen burn (which is why you need to keep brightness/contrast low initially).
    Forum Member
    robbra wrote: »
    I've had the 42" Panasonic metioned above,
    At first I thought I'd made a mistake, the picture was lifeless and seemed grey even after tweeking. Now two weeks on it's bright and possibly the best I've seen with natural colours and no motion blur whatsoever although reflections in the sunny weather can be a pain.
    I got mine from John Lewis.
    Very happy and I now have extra heating for the front room in winter:)
    Can it be that you've just got used to it . Lifeless and grey is a very accurate description . Mine was still like that after a week . I couldn't get shot of it fast enough
  • robbrarobbra Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it definitely improved.
    At first it was against a 5 yr Toshiba and I thought it dull then after 10 days I got the Tosh out again and the Pana was far superior in tone and colour. That's it, Tosh sold on and I'm very happy even as it's not 1080p.
    Maybe wish I'd gone for the 50" but it would have blocked my window:)
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Best TV you can get this year is a Plasma. Has been for a couple of years. Stay away from cheap ones with no light filters etc however and avoid use if you have a sunny room or kids. Plasmas are "enthusiasts" screens and picture for the £ is more superior.

As for performance the top plasmas from Panny and Samsung are virtually reference level. No LED can match that. Take a look at AVForums reviews of this years Panasonic's .. Some excellent results.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    what is your budget ?