Cancelling a National Trust membership...

CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it easy just to call up and tell them you do not wish to renew? I have already received the new membership cards so would I have to send these back? This years runs out at the end of May.

Comments

• toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can phone them or you could try emailing them, that is what I did. They will ask you to send back your cards with a letter stating that you wish to cancel your membership.
    If you have internet banking I would cancel the direct debit mandate as well so they do not take the membership fee by mistake.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they do it by a charge against your credit card once a year, if so it's pointless to involve the bank.

They should send you a renewal notice 3 or 4 weeks beforehand, telling you that you needn't do anything if you want to renew your membership. The notice should also tell you what to do if you don't want to rener membership.

That notice should come around 1st May (that's a pure guess); didn't they send you something like that before they sent your new card?

In any event, certainly no harm in sending an e-mail .

Oh - and don't forget to return your 2011 car park badge. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I think they do it by a charge against your credit card once a year, if so it's pointless to involve the bank.

You should never set-up a re-occurring charge on a credit card for this very reason. Pay for these things using a direct debit where you have some guarantees and control
    They should send you a renewal notice 3 or 4 weeks beforehand, telling you that you needn't do anything if you want to renew your membership. The notice should also tell you what to do if you don't want to rener membership.

They send out a membership pack at the same time each year irrespective of when you joined. They can also send a membership card out before you have paid. This is one organisation that deliberately clouds the issue when it comes to making it clear when which mailing is related to your renewal i.e. taking money from your account.
  • toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »

Oh - and don't forget to return your 2011 car park badge. :)

I would hang on to that :D

I used to pay mine by direct debit from my bank account and they sent a renewal notice with cards and so on about 2 months before it was due. This was when I sent them the email stating I wanted to cancel and they asked me to send back the cards which I did. I cancelled the DD mandate online just in case though this is in no way essential.