Which Tablet to buy

Hi I'm thinking of buying a tablet either a Kindle Fire, Nexus 7 or a Samsung Galaxy 2.They are all about the same price,
Not sure what to buy as to which i would get the best value
Any ideas anyone :)

Comments

• Sandy AlessandroSandy Alessandro Posts: 13,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I looked at all three and choice the Nexus 7. The Kindle Fire is bigger than the Nexus and has Amazon´s own version of Android on it, making it less flexible.

The Galaxy is a very nice tablet, but I felt it was slower than the Nexus, even though it was a little cheaper, so in the end I went for the Nexus 7 at 200 euros, which is a bargain really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Many thanks Sandy for your reply
    Pete G:)
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sandy has pretty much nailed it.

Big issue I have with the KF is that it only gives you access to Amazon's much smaller app store rather than the massive Google Play store. Plus I have lots of stuff on google services anyway (email, calendar, docs/drive) so it made sense to skip the tablet with less Google integration.

Nexus 7 vs Samsung is a bit harder - Nexus 7 is regarded as faster but there are some very good Samsung deals on right now. Nexus 7 will also have the very latest Android software, whereas you might have to wait a bit longer on Samsung. However Samsung has an SD card slot which will mean you can extend the storage space.

Also if you really want to you can use your Samsung tab as a phone http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxytab2/7.0/features.html?type=find
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Nexus 7 vs Samsung is a bit harder - Nexus 7 is regarded as faster but there are some very good Samsung deals on right now. Nexus 7 will also have the very latest Android software, whereas you might have to wait a bit longer on Samsung. However Samsung has an SD card slot which will mean you can extend the storage space.
    In terms of the physical appearance of the Samsung, I preferred it to the Nexus. SD slot is definitely a plus.

I tried them all in a Spanish version of the Carphone Warehouse - do they have these tablets on display in the UK version? If so it would be well worth the OP getting a hands on try of them.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of heresy from me here I'm afraid!

In our house daughter has an Ipad mini, husband has a Nexus 7 and I have a Kindle Fire HD.

The Ipad mini seems to have become surgically attached to daughter's hand so I haven't had much chance to play myself. She's basically using it as a big Ipod Touch and it seems very nice, but probably not worth the extra cost apart from the fact that it fits in with her existing set up.

The Nexus 7 is very nice, but husband is a bit of a technophobe and doesn't seem to find it easy to work out how to do stuff. Consequently I've had plenty of opportunity to work out how to download apps, upload music etc. He doesn't really use Google services much and I think that he might have found the Kindle Fire HD a bit easier to cope with.

I am not a technophobe and am fairly ok with computer stuff. I'm finding the Kindle Fire HD very intuitive to use and haven't found any difficulty finding apps to do what I want from the Kindle apps store. I did follow some instructions on the Kindle discussions board to get Dolphin browser and flash for ics. A snow clearing app would come in quite handy atm as it's snowing hard again and I have to try to get the car out shortly!

The Kindle Fire HD is slightly wider than the Nexus 7, I think that makes it look better. Its speakers are much better than the Nexus's and I can use it to watch Lovefilm on the TV using the hdmi out slot.

So, a vote for the Kindle Fire HD from me.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sue_C wrote: »
    A snow clearing app would come in quite handy atm as it's snowing hard again and I have to try to get the car out shortly!

A 7" tablet might make a handy ice scraper :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sue_C wrote: »
    So, a vote for the Kindle Fire HD from me.
    I wouldn't argue with any of that - it all depends on what you want the tablet for, what sort of apps you are going to want and so on. The Kindle Fire HD is also a bargain price.
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of those three my vote would have to be with the Nexus 7. As others have said the Kindle Fire is not quite so flexible.
  • StilianStilian Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    I'd probably go with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 or the Nexus 7 as a second choice but I definitely wouldn't buy the Kindle.