Fibre Broadband without Calls and Line Rental

Hello. I am someone who uses their broadband a lot, and would need an unlimited package. I am currently on O2, but am looking to switch as O2's service in my area (Plymouth) is slow and unreliable. I am looking at getting fibre optic broadband.

Although, I very rarely use my landline phone, as most calls go through my mobile, so I am wasting money if I purchase a calls package with my fibre optic broadband. I also have to pay 'line rental' to BT.

I have been looking at two fibre optic broadband packages, Virgin Media's 60/100Mb broadband only and Plusnet's Unlimited 80Mb fibre broadband. As far as I am aware, Virgin has no up-front costs/line rental to pay, and is just a flat fee of £22.50 for the 60Mb and £30 for the 100Mb. Plusnet is cheaper at £20 for their 80Mb broadband, although I am wondering if I would still need to pay line rental to BT if I got Plusnet broadband. As well as that, there is a £50 activation fee for Plusnet's service.

Any help would be appreciated, and I am open to any suggestions of other Internet Service Providers.

Comments

• Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any internet service that is done over the BT network you still have to pay line rental (plusnet is included in this).
  • robertcrowtherrobertcrowther Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Although this is a side issue, I think you will find that it is cheaper if you had your calls go through the land line rather than your mobile. People do forget that it's more expensive for people to call you on a mobile than a land line.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although this is a side issue, I think you will find that it is cheaper if you had your calls go through the land line rather than your mobile. People do forget that it's more expensive for people to call you on a mobile than a land line.

That is why when I got rid of my landline and went for wireless broadband, i got a local number on sipgate and connected my home phone that way.
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    That is why when I got rid of my landline and went for wireless broadband, i got a local number on sipgate and connected my home phone that way.

I would rather have fibre broadband than wireless, as my fibre connection is 160mb and I only pay £20 per month plus £10 for line rental with unlimited calls.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most packages will include a telephone service so just don't us the phone. I'm on Talk Talk FTTC, very fast unlimited, I pay £5 a month extra which gives me 1000 minutes landline to any mobile network but local and national calls are inclusive to the deal.

I'd never be without a land line, they still work even in power failures and the way the weather is these days I think power outages will become more common in the coming years.
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,056
    Forum Member
    I would rather have fibre broadband than wireless, as my fibre connection is 160mb and I only pay £20 per month plus £10 for line rental with unlimited calls.

You on FTTP?

I assumed from the other thread you worked for BT? Surely then your FTTP connection is £6 per month?
    Forum Member
    Icaraa wrote: »
    You on FTTP?

I assumed from the other thread you worked for BT? Surely then your FTTP connection is £6 per month?

I don't work for BT, but I have worked closely with them, and been on some of their training courses and I do know a lot of people that work for both BT and Openreach.
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,056
    Forum Member
    Ok great, well I thought you did so I'll take what you said in the other thread with a massive pinch of salt then.
    Forum Member
    Icaraa wrote: »
    Ok great, well I thought you did so I'll take what you said in the other thread with a massive pinch of salt then.

Up to you, all I can do is pass on the information from the documents I have read from Openreach. That's better than the guess work by others.