"over sensitive" smoke alarm

BerBer Posts: 24,562
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Driving me absolutely bonkers!!! Almost everytime I switch the cooker on the damn thing goes off and its "hard-wired" into the house so ALL of them go off :mad:

Is there anyway to adjust the sensitivity on them?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put a sock over it? Obviously removing if after cooking... ;)
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That could be a plan if it keeps on happening!!

That or a sledgehammer :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have the same problem, hard-wired and so sensitive i think the toaster sets them off!

unfortunately the only solution for me has been to flip the switch in the fuse box - so now i have none.

:(
  • sarky sparksarky spark Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where in relatation to the kitchen is the offending detector fitted?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ours it in the hall and the kitchen leads off it.
    I remember my daughter (about 9 then) talking to my sister on the phone when the burgers I was grilling set the alarm off.
    My daughter said,"Oh, I have to go. My tea is ready." :D
    Some dinner gong!
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've just got the battery-operated ones, and it's frying or grilling fish that sets them off - I have to take the battery out. Our next-door-neighbour had the same problem once, and some eejit passing by actually called the fire brigade when she heard the alarm - didn't think of knocking on the door or anything, and the car was in the driveway! Neighbours were not best pleased when two fire engines turned up!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a heat detector in my kitchen, detects the heat from a fire. Sounds good in theory does it not?

But it also detects the heat from the radiators, cups of tea if you are stood in the doorway chatting, and the oven when I am cooking a roast.

My solution No heat in the kitchen, no roasts, and to wake up my daughter in the morning, I waft my coffee.:)

Do you have the option to place a fan in the kitchen (a little one will do) and turn it on just as you start to cook, then turn it off again when dinner is cooked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^^^add to my post above, fan pointed towards the offending smoke alarm.

You dont want to de-activate it, maybe some day it could save your life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where in relatation to the kitchen is the offending detector fitted?

The smoke alarm is on the hallway ceiling right by the door to the kitchen. The cooker is dead ahead of you through the door. 0 is alarm, c is cooker :D

C
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Power Shower sets off my alarms upstairs and downstairs.....admittedly I shower with the bathroom door open about three inches, so that I can hear what my two children are up to!

And my window is also open!:confused:
  • robtuk06robtuk06 Posts: 4,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is it over sensitive too, and hard wired into the same circuit as the lights as well as having a battery backup.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had this problem with our smoke alarm, and we did unplug it eventually. Having two alarms wired in tandem was OK as the upstairs one was still working...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me the answer is to get rid of your existing one and install this one...

"Easy-Wire Smoke Alarm EZ-212"

Bottom of the page at:

http://www.fireangel.co.uk/index.asp?section=7&page=24

You control it via your light switch rather than prodding at the ceiling - it has to be worth the (minor) effort of installing it

And if the installation really does put you off then there is the "10 Year Plug-In Smoke Alarm, White PS-101 or Silver SPS-101"

Dont make the mistake of deactivating a smoke alarm - get a good one that you can control properly!
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Driving me absolutely bonkers!!! Almost everytime I switch the cooker on the damn thing goes off and its "hard-wired" into the house so ALL of them go off :mad:

Is there anyway to adjust the sensitivity on them?

Hello Ber,

I thoroughly recommend Bornslippy's link to the EZ-212, we have fitted a few now.

The problem however is poorly placed smoke alarms and the above product won't resolve this, just make it easier to silence the damn things.

As a landlord with some of our SH projects we have instead been allowed to fit heat alarms out side kitchens in conjunction with smoke alarms, works a treat.
  • timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We just close the kitchen door when cooking. On the occasions it does go off, I treat it as a periodic alarm test, so at least I know it is working.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is the same, its so annoying
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timey wrote: »
    We just close the kitchen door when cooking. On the occasions it does go off, I treat it as a periodic alarm test, so at least I know it is working.

I tried that but A) it was a bit boring hanging around in the kitchen waiting for my food to cook, and B) when I opened the door to take the food through the alarm would go off as whatever "smoke" there was had had time to accumulate in the kitchen. :D