• hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving Katherine Kelly in this.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Mr Selfridge is boring, dull and overacted.:yawn: What a mistake Piven has made doing this mess of a series.

What a surprise seeing you slate an ITV show, Samuel. :p:D

I'm enjoying it so far, the story is being told at a far better pace than Downton Abbey and I think the acting is decent.
  • hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Selfridge is boring, dull and overacted. What a mistake Piven has made doing this mess of a series.

Yes yes we know, you hate ITV and everything on it. Boring.
  • ElectricBoy171ElectricBoy171 Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Selfridge is boring, dull and overacted :yawn:. What a mistake Piven has made doing this mess of a series.

If it was on the BBC, you'd be loving it. :yawn:
  • ElectricBoy171ElectricBoy171 Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving Katherine Kelly in this.

Me too. She's a fantastic actress. :)
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got 2 say haven't enjoyed this Ill try catch the end of ripper street
  • Caro07Caro07 Posts: 1,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    The only thing I have seen him in was Serendipity where he played a supporting role as John Cusack's friend.

He was also in "Entourage" and "Ellen" the old sit-com of Ellen DeGeneres. Gossip (which I know cannot be trusted, but in his case is multitude) says that he is something of a ......... (fill in at your pleasure!).

P.S. Strangely enough he had less hair in "Ellen" in the mid 1990's. Wonder how that happened!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't help but think they are marketing this more for the American audience.
  • PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There doesn't seem to be any dramatic tension. So far everything turns out fine and everyone is nice as pie (but acting very badly).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plant wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be any dramatic tension. So far everything turns out fine and everyone is nice as pie (but acting very badly).

Well, it has to tun out alright; we all know what happens in the end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame it isn't "Selfridges" rather than "Mr Selfridge".
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,141
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying it so far but I am not particularly warming to Mr Selfridge himself as a character, he certainly does not have the charisma of the lovely John Moray!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't see Miss. Towler being accepted very easily by the rest of the staff after getting fast-tracked like that.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Strict wrote: »
    It's a shame it isn't "Selfridges" rather than "Mr Selfridge".

Nail on the head imho.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Nail on the head imho.

Thanks. I am starting to enjoy it more now that it hasn't been focused on Mr S for the past 4 minutes. I hope we aren't going to be watching Mr S havign a string of women chasing after him.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    What a surprise seeing you slate an ITV show, Samuel. :p:D

I'm enjoying it so far, the story is being told at a far better pace than Downton Abbey and I think the acting is decent.

While I agree that it's unsurprising to see him criticise ITV, and it is tedious, there are certain people who do the same for BBC, and wouldn't be liking this if it was on BBC ;)

I think it's alright, but I feel I've seen it all before and done much better in The Paradise. I'm glad the BBC got that out first because it would have been a shame if a show 4 years in the making, and something Bill Gallagher had wanted to do long before he did Lark Rise, was accused of being a copy of the inferior Mr Selfridge.
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,685
    Forum Member
    Plant wrote: »
    This is weird, I don't know if it's the acting, the script or the editing but none of it hangs together. It's a lot of separate scenes trying to tell a story and failing.

Somehow I have to agree with you.

Why was he so agressive at first with Miss Towler when she went to his house? Is he a bit of a grump and a tyrant under that charming outerfacade?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strict wrote: »
    Thanks. I am starting to enjoy it more now that it hasn't been focused on Mr S for the past 4 minutes. I hope we aren't going to be watching Mr S havign a string of women chasing after him.

I agree; I think the supporting cast holds the interest more than Mr. Selfridge; mind you, they haven't completely fleshed him out yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying it so far but I am not particularly warming to Mr Selfridge himself as a character, he certainly does not have the charisma of the lovely John Moray!

This :D
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    Good cast but it is only a slightly superior version of The Paradise - and that was dire beyond belief
    Forum Member
    My goodness, Miss Towler is doing a Denise...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My goodness, Miss Toler is doing a Denise...

Denise Royle? :D
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Denise Royle? :D

Denise from The Paradise....it was meant as a joke..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So are we to expect an affair between these two?

EDIT: Oh he's the brother; it won't be an affair then. :o:D
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    My goodness, Miss Towler is doing a Denise...

Yes, and I'm guessing the waiter is Sam.