Small scratch on Tablet. How do I fix it?

Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
Forum Member
Any suggestions on what I can do?

It happened yesterday and I thought I could just put up with it, but its annoying me now.

Its under an inch and it's just a scratch on the surface not a crack.

On websites with brighter colours it becomes a lot more predominant .

Is there a simple solution?

Nexus 7.

Comments

• Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put a screen protector on it.

I have some small scratches on my iPad mini. You can only see them in certain lighting but it bugged me. I don't know how they got there. I was very careful with it. I had it in a smart case which protects both the screen and back and I kept that inside a zipped pouch when in my bag for extra protection. Anyway after a few weeks I noticed these very fine scratches on the screen, when viewed at certain angles under certain lights. I quickly put a screen protector on there to prevent it from getting anymore scratches. Now I can't see any of the scratches anymore. It's just a regular screen protector. Not a matte one.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,474
    Forum Member
    Toothpaste and kitchen paper towel.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Toothpaste and kitchen paper towel.

Toothpaste on the tip of your little finger with gentle circular motions. Toothpaste works with mobile phone screens also.
    Forum Member
    And watches.
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toothpaste and kitchen towel? Who's pulling who's here? As far as I know and in my experience once glass is scratched, it's scratched isn't it. There are no wonder recipes except new glass surely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    Happened to me, too. Annoying, as the marketing hype for many of these things is 'scratchproof', they should accept that the need for a screen protector is strong, but surely you cannot tap through a screen protector? Or does the tablet still detect touch?
    Forum Member
    Toothpaste and kitchen towel? Who's pulling who's here? As far as I know and in my experience once glass is scratched, it's scratched isn't it. There are no wonder recipes except new glass surely.

Who mentioned glass? Surely we are talking plastic?

I also used toothpaste on a Sharp MiniDisk Player and a Sony MP3 Player. Both I got secondhard off eBay. The Sony looks a hell of a lot better and the Sharp looks brand new.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    I also used toothpaste on a Sharp MiniDisk Player and a Sony MP3 Player. Both I got secondhard off eBay. The Sony looks a hell of a lot better and the Sharp looks brand new.

Hmm. Sorry I'm sceptical. Can't see what toothpaste does. How does it work?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    heiker wrote: »
    Who mentioned glass? Surely we are talking plastic?

Most modern tablets and phones have glass screens.
    Forum Member
    Happened to me, too. Annoying, as the marketing hype for many of these things is 'scratchproof', they should accept that the need for a screen protector is strong, but surely you cannot tap through a screen protector? Or does the tablet still detect touch?

The glass is incredibly tough. But it's not impossible to scratch them.

Watches are a good candidate. The glass is just as hard.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Hmm. Sorry I'm sceptical. Can't see what toothpaste does. How does it work?

Abrasives in the tootpaste grind down the glass and smooth out the scratch - same as what you do with a scratch on a car.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Abrasives in the tootpaste grind down the glass and smooth out the scratch - same as what you do with a scratch on a car.

Surely abrasives cause further scratching?
    Forum Member
    Yes. They scratch away the edges of the original scratch so that it is no longer a scratch. How do you think they polish diamonds to be all sparkly? Same principle.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Surely abrasives cause further scratching?

As gomezz said above - and another example would be sandpaper on wood. The sandpaper is abrasive but makes the wood smooth.
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »

I use "Arm & Hammer Advance White" as it contains Baking Soda which acts as the abrasive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T-Cut will do it as well, as above at the end of the day polishing is just using abrasives on a surface, it all depends on the size of the abrasive particles in the polish
    Forum Member
    tcut is a good choice, especially metallic tcut. because it's so fine.

but nothing will give you perfect results.

diamond paste is best but it's expensive.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nothing is sold as scratch proof, always scratch resistant.