Not Happy With Virgin Mobile.

seasidedazseasidedaz Posts: 213
Forum Member
More problem's with virgin using a Samsung s3 handset. all week no proper, signal,even using 3g page's take a long time to load,losing signal even today no service. phone said no virgin service could not ring,text,or use data. had the same problem's off and on since i got the phone 9 day's ago.rang virgin yesterday told me to change network's, which we did and made no difference at all. has anybody had the same problem at all, if so what you do to sort it out.

Comments

• thebennyboythebennyboy Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    You mentioned you were with Virgin Mobile then changed network, which carrier did you try next?
  • seasidedazseasidedaz Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    we went from the Virgin(t mobile) to the virgin (orange) and when trying to change it back myself the handset could not find any mobile network's until after 4 pm today. virgin told me i could select any one of the above,as they were for virgin.
    Forum Member
    Are you currently in a long contract or are you able to change to another carrier?
    Forum Member
    I have a 14 day trial which is up next Tuesday after then will be locked into a 2 year contract.
    Forum Member
    Did you try out o2, vodafone or three? Might be worth seeing if the signal is good on any of them. I'd recommend three personally but it will be down to whichever gives you the best service and signal.
    Forum Member
    I have not tried them because virgin told me i could not use them as they were not the t mobile/orange one. the one's the virgin use.
    Forum Member
    seasidedaz wrote: »
    I have not tried them because virgin told me i could not use them as they were not the t mobile/orange one. the one's the virgin use.

I mean quite literally changing network as in cancelling Virgin and trying out another network. You can pick up free sims in most supermarkets. That would allow you to see if signal is any good.
    Forum Member
    thank you for your'e quick response i suppose i could give that a go thank you.
    Forum Member
    thank you for your'e quick response i suppose i could give that a go thank you.

You're welcome. The networks you should pick up free sims for are o2, vodafone and three. Their signals will be different to that of Virgin mobile, who use EE (Orange and T-Mobile). Those may be able to give you a better signal where you need it, such as at home or at work.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More problem's with virgin using a Samsung s3 handset. all week no proper, signal,even using 3g page's take a long time to load,losing signal even today no service. phone said no virgin service could not ring,text,or use data. had the same problem's off and on since i got the phone 9 day's ago.rang virgin yesterday told me to change network's, which we did and made no difference at all. has anybody had the same problem at all, if so what you do to sort it out.

Can we assume that these problems occur in the same place (ie, Home or Work?) rather than everywhere you go?

If the former, it would seem that Virgin (and indeed, EE, Orange, T-Mobile) would have bad coverage in your area. I would also stay away from Three in this instance. As they use the same masts as T-Mobile under the guise of MBNL, they will have a very similar footprint for their 3g coverage as T-Mobile does.

When I changed phones from an HTC to a Galaxy Note II 6 months ago using EE the signal in my home was atrocious where it was quite good before. Turned out that the SIM somehow got its knickers in a twist and wouldnt latch onto the TMobile signal that was stronger and 500m away but would retain the Orange Signal that was weaker and from a mast some 2 miles away. Cleaning the SIM and putting into an old phone for a few hours kicked it into action though (as recommended by TMO customer service). There is a small chance you are experiencing the same.

So, personally, I would go to Voda or O2 (or one of the providers who use their network, Tesco use o2 for instance), maybe get a PAYG sim and try that in your house first. Or ask some mates to come round who have o2/voda phones.

Remember that all the networks now do signal boosters, but Vodafone are the easiest network to get them from. The others you have to jump over lots of hurdles to get one, or at least that used to be the case.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as im a virgin customer [tv internet, phon line] thhey keep offering me good contract handsets, shouold iget one?
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as im a virgin customer [tv internet, phon line] thhey keep offering me good contract handsets, shouold iget one?

My phone is with EE (well Tmobile) but the daughters phone is now with VM as we are customers.

As well as getting a discount on the monthly prices, they give free insurance to customers too (on the condition you install their Mobile Rescue App)

Not had any issues so far with them.

Were now paying £27 a month for unlimited texts, calls and data, with the insurance.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My phone is with EE (well Tmobile) but the daughters phone is now with VM as we are customers.

As well as getting a discount on the monthly prices, they give free insurance to customers too (on the condition you install their Mobile Rescue App)

Not had any issues so far with them.

Were now paying £27 a month for unlimited texts, calls and data, with the insurance.

There's better deals if you go for the 1000's of minutes and texts, rather that looking at unlimited, which will have a Fair use policy on calls and texts anyway - it has to in order to stop small businesses from sending 1000s of texts a day.

The insurance has an excess, also you must have the app installed at the time the event happened otherwise they won't payout. They don't pay out for things where your fault lead to the damage, such as leaving it on top of a car, leaving it unattended.

They don't payout for you leaving it anywhere except somewhere locked securely where there's clear evidence of a break in, and it doesn't cover calls made on your account after theft either.

It's one of those cases where it looks like a good deal until you look into the detail.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

Virgin's contract deals aren't particularly attractive. Personally, I don't change handsets very often do it makes far more sense to buy a SIM-free handset and get a SIM-only deal. No 2-year lock-in and if you threaten to leave Virgin, you can get 250 minutes and unlimited texts and data for £5/month. 30-day rolling contract. With a Nexus 4, my total cost for mobile telephony will be only £460 for 3 years (£280 for handset + 3 * £60 annual bills).

Virgin's contract deals start from c£20 / month. Stay for 3 years and you'll have shelled out £720 and got far fewer minutes, texts and data into the bargain.
    Forum Member
    Can we assume that these problems occur in the same place (ie, Home or Work?) rather than everywhere you go?

If the former, it would seem that Virgin (and indeed, EE, Orange, T-Mobile) would have bad coverage in your area. I would also stay away from Three in this instance. As they use the same masts as T-Mobile under the guise of MBNL, they will have a very similar footprint for their 3g coverage as T-Mobile does.

When I changed phones from an HTC to a Galaxy Note II 6 months ago using EE the signal in my home was atrocious where it was quite good before. Turned out that the SIM somehow got its knickers in a twist and wouldnt latch onto the TMobile signal that was stronger and 500m away but would retain the Orange Signal that was weaker and from a mast some 2 miles away. Cleaning the SIM and putting into an old phone for a few hours kicked it into action though (as recommended by TMO customer service). There is a small chance you are experiencing the same.

So, personally, I would go to Voda or O2 (or one of the providers who use their network, Tesco use o2 for instance), maybe get a PAYG sim and try that in your house first. Or ask some mates to come round who have o2/voda phones.

Remember that all the networks now do signal boosters, but Vodafone are the easiest network to get them from. The others you have to jump over lots of hurdles to get one, or at least that used to be the case.
    It happen's nearly all the time signal loss at home,outside no matter where i go sometime's will work properly for a couple of hour's then nothing decided to ring and return.
    Forum Member
    Thank you to all that gave me some help.rang virgin this morning,they were not really interested and are sending me a jiffy bag for phone to be returned. glad i was on a 14 day trial will be sending back.will not bother for a while.