Putting Windows 7 on to a Windows 8 laptop

Hi all,

Any advice would be appreciated. I haven't actually owned a windows laptop in a couple of years but the OH got a new laptop for work there and it has Windows 8 on it. He can't stand it and is used to Windows 7 with all his software he uses for work etc.

Suppose it's not a major big deal like .. he could get used to it, but is it possible to put Windows 7 on to the new laptop without a disk? Or does it Need the disk.

One of the guys at his work has said he has Windows 7 Home Premium on USB.. not sure if I trust it though ...

Would he not have to buy the disk?

What's the best solution here? The old OH is a stubborn one and is doing my head in with his complaining about Windows 8

Comments

• call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    You don't need to put Windows 7 on it.......Although I personally think he should take the time to learn how to use W8, there will be the usual suspects on here just telling him to.....download 'Classic Sell'This will make W8 look like W7 and feel more familiar for him.....So give that a go first....
    W8 is actually a better OS than W7.......;)
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Easiest thing is to install something like Classic Shell

http://www.classicshell.net/

which makes it look like W7 and he can ignore the Metro interface.
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    You don't need to put Windows 7 on it.......Although I personally think he should take the time to learn how to use W8, there will be the usual suspects on here just telling him to.....download 'Classic Shell' This will make W8 look like W7 and feel more familiar for him.....So give that a go first....
    W8 is actually a better OS than W7.......;)

I'm a 'usual suspect'. :p
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never ever touch some dodgy copy of an operating system from who knows where. You don't know what other carp comes with it. And you may have problems activating it.

And it might be unnecessary anyway. There are ways and means to make Windows 8 look a bit like Windows 7. There are a number of add ons to Windows 8 that can be used to make it look more like earlier versions of Windows.

A few options to investigate

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=windows+8+classic+look

As I don't use Windows 8 I can't comment on how good bad or indifferent any of these are.
    Forum Member
    Once you become predictable, no one's interested anymore.....:);)
    Forum Member
    Once you become predictable, no one's interested anymore.....:);)

I predicted you would say that...
    Forum Member
    I predicted you would say that...

I knew you would......:cool:
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote to use a third party utility such as start8.
    Does all the work software run correctly under w8 ?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    He should put Classic Shell on his W8 laptop or he could reformat and put Windows 7 on it. You can buy Windows 7 disks online. I bought one in May for my Mac :D And Windows 8 is indeed dire. I had to set it up for my aunt two weeks ago and it was a nightmare! All the "apps" are basic and cloud-based and the tiles are cartoonish. Fisher Price for adults :p
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a 'usual suspect'. :p

Me too.

But yes, stick something like Classic shell on and it will act more like windows7/Xp.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Another vote to use a third party utility such as start8.
    Does all the work software run correctly under w8 ?

Virtually all modern packages run ok. I have found a couple of old things that don't work but that happnes at every upgrade.

I use the start8 package which you can disable most of the annoying track pad swipes that jump you to Modern (formerly known as Prince:D). Also if you look at your mouse/trackpad options, on many pcs you can disable virtually all the swipes not stopped by Start8 as well.

I now control the PC not the other way round!
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am in the same position as the OP
    I hate Windows 8 (which I have said many times in the past !)
    People have mentioned Classic Shell to me, which apparently makes Windows 8 LOOK LIKE Windows 7.

I don't want it to LOOK LIKE Windows 7.

I WANT WINDOWS SEVEN !!
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People have mentioned Classic Shell to me, which apparently makes Windows 8 LOOK LIKE Windows 7.

I WANT WINDOWS SEVEN !!

Just buy Windows 7 then. Backup all your data etc. Then clean install and restore data.
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your machine shipped with Windows 8 Pro then Microsoft do, supposedly, allow you to downgrade to Windows 7 Pro.

It involves calling Microsoft and giving them your Windows 8 Pro key. They will then generate a Windows 7 Pro key for you. Of course you'll need Windows 7 Pro installation media too.

I've never tried this, and the people that have had varying degrees of success. There are details scattered over the web (pretty sure i saw it on the Lenovo forums).
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How to replace Windows 8 with Windows 7:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417359,00.asp

How to add Windows 7 as a dual boot option on a Windows 8 computer:
    http://www.pagestart.com/win8dbwin701181301.html

I can't vouch for the accuracy of either of the above articles. Replacing Windows 8.1 might require different procedures.

Here is a list of utilities for Windows 8 which can replace the Start button and its menu, enable booting in desktop mode, and disable the charm icons:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Start_Menu_replacements_for_Windows_8

Microsoft have a free downloadable manual for Metro here (strangely they call it a "training brochure"):
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39055
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I WANT WINDOWS SEVEN !!

Dont know why, Windows 8 with classic shell is much better than 7 which in itself was pretty dam good.
  • TheDisneyMagicTheDisneyMagic Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    I am another person to vote try and get used to it first, things definitely are different but the Computer industry is changing and by resisting it now, you will only find yourself behind even more in the future.

Besides he will get the free upgrade to 8.1 within the next couple of months which fine tune it even more.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I WANT WINDOWS SEVEN !!
    Why? Why did you buy a machine with w8?
    W8 is a better os. I use start8, boots up into the desktop and works the same as if it were w7. What's the problem?
    Forum Member
    People hate change and can't get their heads around it. Some just think it's the 'in' thing to knock something. Some can't be ar$ed to try and use whatever is new so just take the easy route.
    With W8, there is probably an age group that are the mainstay of the haters society.
    I have no problem with anyone using Classic Shell etc, but, I don't think it should be an automatic choice or suggestion for someone new to W8. I see a lot of people just repeating what they have read somewhere else, without really having tried it for themselves.
    It's not perfect, then again it's not as bad as some would have others believe....

Looking forward to next months 8.1 and the changes that will bring.....Plenty will have something to say about them, but, going by W8 few will try them...;):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    People hate change and can't get their heads around it. Some just think it's the 'in' thing to knock something. Some can't be ar$ed to try and use whatever is new so just take the easy route.
    With W8, there is probably an age group that are the mainstay of the haters society.
    I have no problem with anyone using Classic Shell etc, but, I don't think it should be an automatic choice or suggestion for someone new to W8. I see a lot of people just repeating what they have read somewhere else, without really having tried it for themselves.
    It's not perfect, then again it's not as bad as some would have others believe....

Looking forward to next months 8.1 and the changes that will bring.....Plenty will have something to say about them, but, going by W8 few will try them...;):)

I agree with what you are saying and I Myself have no problems with W8, but do not really make any use of the Metro UI and store apps (with my home user hat on). Like many on here, I am constantly having to help fiends or family through the W8 UI to get them their traditional Windows back.

I recently observed many users at a consumer trade show recently, on an adjacent stand of laptops running W8.
    The majority of users did not get far with the W8 Metro UI using either a mouse or touch screen themselves. I was amazed really how many had not seen or experienced W8.
    When some were introduced to the desktop by the stand staff, the first question was always 'where is the start menu', I smiled. Everyone I noticed grabbed a mouse and pointed straight to the left bottom corner.
    They were then shown the new UI and told you can install Classic Shell etc, on which they were taken to a laptop that had that installed.
    Of course, there were questions, why is it missing? Does it run XP and W7 programs?
    Why does it have those apps? Can I use the Google play store or iTunes store. Their reaction was not positive at all.

The amount of Marketing that MS have done, it does amaze me how many consumers are still very confused/muddled by what W8 is.
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Just finished my first week with Windows 8 and have to say I don't find it that bad , I'd read all the moans and groans about it and wasn't thrilled at the thought of using it but after installing Start Menu from IObit (Which is free) it acts just like Windows 7 the only gripe is not having Media Center and not being able to find any TV Tuner software that works with my USB dongle
    Forum Member
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Just finished my first week with Windows 8 and have to say I don't find it that bad , I'd read all the moans and groans about it and wasn't thrilled at the thought of using it but after installing Start Menu from IObit (Which is free) it acts just like Windows 7 the only gripe is not having Media Center and not being able to find any TV Tuner software that works with my USB dongle

Dont want to hijack the thread, but what is your usb dongle, plenty of other software out there as an alternative to media center?
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Dont want to hijack the thread, but what is your usb dongle, plenty of other software out there as an alternative to media center?

Its an Aldi special under their brand name of Tevion
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

I WANT WINDOWS SEVEN !!

But why? The Windows 8 underneath is better than 7 so why not just use what you have and install something like classic shell and have the best of both world?

Or are you expecting Windows 7 to come with MS Office? :D
    Forum Member
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Its an Aldi special under their brand name of Tevion

Thats old, I remember those, it was a Kworld dvb-t 100 under the hood. Should work with the kworld dvb-t plus software.
    I thought that they came with Arcsoft theatre software which would run ok on W8.
    Suppose you have tried it with other pvr software like media portal and next pvr
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_PVR_software_packages