O2 is Mercedes Benz & Three is a Hyundai says O2 CEO

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
O2 CEO Ronan Dunne doesn't think much of Three in an interview with Mobile Today.
While the auction outcome means O2 is only three percentage points ahead of Three in its total spectrum holding, despite having nearly three times as many customers, Dunne said ‘that’s like comparing a Mercedes Benz with a Hyundai’.

O2 is hardly a reliable network, plus they failed to invest in 3G so I fail to see the comparison with a Mercedes. Perhaps Delboy's Reliant Regal van is a better comparison to O2 :D

More funny quotes from Ronan Dunne here:

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/Feature/24543/Finally__4G_is_go.aspx

For those members who have never seen Only Fools and Horses:

http://www.daniellatto.co.uk/user/news/del-boys-van.jpg

A thread that my be of interest:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1805822&page=2

Comments

• Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't you post this last night in a different thread?
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    Didn't you post this last night in a different thread?

That is a thread about O2's 4G roll out. But this is quite a funny quote from a much larger article. It demonstrates how out of touch O2's CEO is.
  • legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starting to agree with Wonky, your child like obsession with O2 is becoming increasingly boring
  • exterraexterra Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    My experience of owning a Merc was that it was overpriced, did not match the claims made in the marketing and was extremely unreliable compared to the cheaper cars I've subsequently owned - o2's CEO is therefore pretty spot on in his analysis albeit I will never buy another Merc, would certainly consider a Hyundai and have no interest in ever re-joining o2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starting to agree with Wonky, your child like obsession with O2 is becoming increasingly boring

Well why did you bother to read the thread and post on it if its boring :D
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So obviously O2 is a gas guzzler that can make your average punter bankrupt.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that's good because I own a Hyundai and it's extremely reliable and I like it. Good price, and a nice car. You're not paying through the nose for a show off brand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have said O2 is more like the 'Twizy' (the electric car).

Expensive (for what you get), a small package with limited coverage and slow speeds.
  • Aldridge AndyAldridge Andy Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    After 12 years I moved from O2 to Three Mobile... Three beat O2 hands down in the two months that I've had access their network.

I just wish O2 would invest in their network and make it's deployment of current technologies as good as the legacy 2G network they have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    O2 is like Lada more like.Miles behind Three for fast internet connection..What a joke this guy is!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do wonder if he's made a mistake saying this as it might get picked up by the blogs.

What car do you think O2 is? expensive to run, breaks down once every 6 months, dated technology and not very impressive speeds.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,390
    Forum Member
    If O2 spent as much time on upgrading/developing their network as they do whingeing about other networks and the early launch of 4G, then they'd have the best network in the country.

If only, eh?
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with Hyundai. Massive company doing very well AFAIK.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    exterra wrote: »
    My experience of owning a Merc was that it was overpriced, did not match the claims made in the marketing and was extremely unreliable compared to the cheaper cars I've subsequently owned - o2's CEO is therefore pretty spot on in his analysis albeit I will never buy another Merc, would certainly consider a Hyundai and have no interest in ever re-joining o2.

That told him. :p
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha what an idiot. I would never join O2 because they don't offer what I want, where as Three do.......
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did not take long for the usual O2 hate brigade to expose themselves!

There is no denying that O2 is a premium mobile brand as is Vodafone and EE are trying hard to develop their brand into something similar.

Three have to sell on price as they still need to acquire customers to make their network viable in terms of cost per user. That is how Hyundai built their business but I'm not sure one could say that now as their cars are priced similarly to all mainstream brands. They do however offer enhanced warranties which probably equates to the 3 offer of 'all you can eat' data.

A kind of silly comparison as although both O2 and 3 sell the same basic communications services they both have very different marketing strategies. 3 is a value for money proposition where O2 is about 'added value' with lots of customer benefits on top of the basic communications offering (like priority moments etc).

Each to their own. It's good to have some variety and choice in the market as one size does not suit all and as the competition hot's up the CEOs will no doubt make many more bitching statements!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There is no denying that O2 is a premium mobile brand as is Vodafone and EE are trying hard to develop their brand into something similar.

Three have to sell on price as they still need to acquire customers to make their network viable in terms of cost per user. That is how Hyundai built their business but I'm not sure one could say that now as their cars are priced similarly to all mainstream brands. They do however offer enhanced warranties which probably equates to the 3 offer of 'all you can eat' data.

A kind of silly comparison as although both O2 and 3 sell the same basic communications services they both have very different marketing strategies. 3 is a value for money proposition where O2 is about 'added value' with lots of customer benefits on top of the basic communications offering (like priority moments etc).

Each to their own. It's good to have some variety and choice in the market as one size does not suit all and as the competition hot's up the CEOs will no doubt make many more bitching statements!

For the CEO to even make this kind of statement it shows they are seeing a real challenge from Three as they grew again by over 1 million customers, all 3G smartphone customers (which account for only 50% of O2 customers), and they grew by more than O2. The fact that the CEO is even commenting speaks volumes.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Well I've just moved today from O2 (Tesco) to 3 for AYCE data, however I've just taken a sim only one month contract in case it doesn't work out.

This was after I discovered my 'unlimited' data allowance with Tesco was 500MB. :D
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    HAHAHAHAHA!! <falls off chair>

Ronan must be drinking the silly juice!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The CEO may as well have said Three isn't a threat to us, honestly. No really, we're not worried, I promise.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

!

I agree and its weird how O2 is the only Mobile brand with a HATE BRIGADE. I guess customers are not stupid and they know what they are talking about.

Everyone now knows how O2 were incapable of rolling out 3G and tried delay tactics for the sale of 4G licences. It is now common knowledge O2 is the worst UK network and is selling assets where ever it can to survive.

Good bye O2, your 2013 results will be the worst of all mobile networks. The fact the O2 CEO specifically mentions Three UK is a vote of confidence in the Three network lol. He must be so desperate.

I can't remember a Mercedes advert saying ...............

MERCEDES
    ...We're better than Hyundai :D:D:D This smacks of desperation and from what I've seen Three are quite happy about it :D
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Mercedes has lost their reputation for reliability over the past few years?

That'd explain why O2 is just as bad, I don't think they were this bad in the Cellnet/BT Cellnet era. O2 does charge the earth for a unreliable, shoddy network, so the similarities are not too far apart.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I think we will all agree O2 is a joke of a network. Once Three was not so good, they invested and invested and invested and now they are starting to reap the rewards.

O2 are not so good, so they did nothing but try to attack a superior network............big mistake O2.

It was said before and I say it again, STOP MOANING O2 AND START INVESTING/COMPETING

It is also worth noting Three is getting a large portion of its new customers from O2,
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But this is quite a funny quote from a much larger article. It demonstrates how out of touch O2's CEO is.
    That's as maybe but then the inevitable happens and it's always much nicer here when it doesn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    That's as maybe but then the inevitable happens and it's always much nicer here when it doesn't.

Ronan Dunne didn't do himself any favours in the interview.

"The very fact that the auction took place in 2013 was because the people who didn’t have low frequency spectrum were agitating for it.’

Yes O2 delayed the 4G auction with threats of legal action against Ofcom (which had been going on for years). Then turn around and say it was delayed until 2013 because people were agitating for low frequency (800MHz) make him look like an utter idiot :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/aug/29/mobile-internet-4g-o2-delay?cat=technology&type=article

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/Feature/24543/Finally__4G_is_go.aspx