Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Do we think that was real footage of the, erm, 'mature' actors?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suddenly, I love it.

Victoria's salvation came a bit quickly and easily, but it still successfully tugged.

There were some laugh-out-loud moments, too.

And even Kev's character is beginning to make sense in the context of the show.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I really don't know what to make of this. I'm intrigued by Gervais' mannerisms and Karl Pilkingtons 'character' is funny. The rest though is very hit and miss. Kev is out of place, no need for him and the whole thing feels a bit preachy.

The community service girl going from a horror to humble in a couple of days was weak and predictable. The whole show just feels like a concept to me, rather than a properly written and executed series. The girls story arc was far too rushed and time was wasted on the party scenes. It just looked random.

Also, what style is it supposed to be? Mock-documentary or not? Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Feels very rushed and not fully rationalised to me.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another great episode
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Radiohead I think. Or Muse.

In answer to my own question, it was apparently indeed Radiohead, and a song called 'Bones'.

Edit: ...as has already been pointed out on the previous page.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,894
    Forum Member
    This is simply brilliant television.

I wasn't a fan of Life's Too Short (Gervais' last show) but this is a staggering return to form.
  • pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit too sickly sentimental for me, pulling all the right strings to elicit tears from the easily moved, like Nana croaking in The Royale Family it's a bit too overplayed.

Since seeing John Mills in Ryan's Daughter I have an aversion to " normal " actors playing simpletons [ for want of a more PC word ] all jutted jaws, affected walk , staring eyes and blank expressions, and Gervais is no actor of the calibre of John Mills.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I was one of the people that gave this a hard time after the pilot, and the first episode of the series.

But I have to say I thought tonight's episode was fabulous. And in some parts just beautiful. Well-observed, and thought provoking. This is exactly how the subject of aging and loneliness and our memories of the events and people that have helped create them, should be handled. A lovely mix of humour and sadness.

I absolutely loved it.

Not changing my mind about Gervais' limited acting range though. Sorry. This is a well-accomplished, poignant, ensemble piece.

I hope the rest of the series is half as good as this was tonight. Brilliant!!! :)
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Another great episode

I thought it was great, very heartwarming and Gervais is a clever man IMO. I have really warmed to all the main characters, especially the caretaker after last week. The sleazy man isn't nice but serves a purpose, astute Derek pretending not to get his jokes. I think it's beautifully written:)
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    I thought it was great, very heartwarming and Gervais is a clever man IMO. I have really warmed to all the main characters, especially the caretaker after last week. The sleazy man isn't nice but serves a purpose, astute Derek pretending not to get his jokes. I think it's beautifully written:)

Yeh Ricky knows exactly how to get viewers thinking and emotional about things. I was actually thinking while watching that the show isn't really about Derek at all, it is definately an ensemble show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit too sickly sentimental for me, pulling all the right strings to elicit tears from the easily moved, like Nana croaking in The Royale Family it's a bit too overplayed.

Since seeing John Mills in Ryan's Daughter I have an aversion to " normal " actors playing simpletons [ for want of a more PC word ] all jutted jaws, affected walk , staring eyes and blank expressions, and Gervais is no actor of the calibre of John Mills.

I agree I'm afraid. It's hardly subtle is it? :D. Also, the character of Derek is very inconsistently written. I know it's only a sit-com and most people won't realise or care about the inaccuracies but it's jarring to some of us.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show should not be named after Derek. He doesn't seem to be the focus of the piece. The situation is. Karl Pilkington is real the star of the show, in the same way that Stephen Merchant stole the show in Extras. The show should have been named after the home, perhaps?
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Yeh Ricky knows exactly how to get viewers thinking and emotional about things. I was actually thinking while watching that the show isn't really about Derek at all, it is definately an ensemble show.

is brilliant, Hannah does a fantastic job IMO. I think it's brilliant so far, wasn't so keen on Derek falling in the pond (earlier bits) as seemed a bit silly but probably helped set the scene. People say he is mocking learning difficulties, I think he is showing them in a bitter sweet way and highlighting the ignorance and reality of it all really. Nice to see the boyfriend tonight too, I like subtle things like that
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a great show in that you can't really pin it down and it's got plenty of genuine feeling about it. Ricky has played a blinder here.

People saying the young girl changing her attitude was too quick well, to me, that's preferable to the show being overlong and it was no less-effective. It's not 'preachy', more like refreshing.

Also, Radiohead at the end! Good to know Ricky is a fan.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    is brilliant, Hannah does a fantastic job IMO. I think it's brilliant so far, wasn't so keen on Derek falling in the pond (earlier bits) as seemed a bit silly but probably helped set the scene. People say he is mocking learning difficulties, I think he is showing them in a bitter sweet way and highlighting the ignorance and reality of it all really. Nice to see the boyfriend tonight too, I like subtle things like that

Agreed, I've never understood that criticism, is having a comedy character have learning difficulties (if indeed Derek has them, Derek, though as the last episode addressed, could be said to come across as having them but it was never something Ricky envisioned), mocking those with them?
    Forum Member
    mrcynical wrote: »
    The show should not be named after Derek. He doesn't seem to be the focus of the piece. The situation is. Karl Pilkington is real the star of the show, in the same way that Stephen Merchant stole the show in Extras. The show should have been named after the home, perhaps?

Ricky describes him as the heart of the show rather than the focus.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Seemed a bit directionless to me and the girl on community service storyline was utterly predictable, god knows how they're going to stretch this out for another four episodes as it seems it's already exhausted it's limited ideas.
    Forum Member
    Agreed, I've never understood that criticism, is having a comedy character have learning difficulties (if indeed Derek has them, Derek, though as the last episode addressed, could be said to come across as having them but it was never something Ricky envisioned), mocking those with them?

:confused: do you mean Derek?
    Similar to Roy Cropper in Corrie and the way his character is written. It doesn't need to be said and in Derek he seems to come out on top in my eyes, along with Hannah of course
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Urgh, this was even worse than the first episode. Zero nuance, crass relativism, just all-round poor writing.
    Forum Member
    :confused: do you mean Derek?
    Similar to Roy Cropper in Corrie and the way his character is written. It doesn't need to be said and in Derek he seems to come out on top in my eyes, along with Hannah of course

Sorry, worded that all wrong, I was saying that although Derek, as Ricky has acknowledged, could be argued to come across as someone with learning difficulties, Ricky never envisioned him as having any, the press just assumed it from the way he played him.
  • candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right of course. I'm just speaking hypothetically if they could start afresh. I wasn't really insisting that Ricky Gervais just suddenly change it all now. Too late. You're also right in that if the series itself was spawned by the idea of Derek as a character then it would never have existed in the first place without him.

It's as though it could have been very good indeed. But I wouldn't rate it anywhere near as high as The Office, or Extras, or my personal favourite The Ricky Gervais Show.

He says it's supposed to be a 'kind' show, but I find the sentimentality to be too clumsy, as if it's painted on with broad brush strokes. His comedy can be as brash and as bold as he likes, but I think he needs a much more subtle touch if he wants to try for something that's supposed to be emotionally touching.
    As has already been mentioned, the music is heavy handed and is used to crowbar sentiment into the drama, and he just seems to grab at the obvious. For example he knows that a lot of the public love puppies and cats. What better way to push people's emotional buttons by having these poor old people stroking cute little puppies with sentimental mawkish piano music playing over the top.

i can agree with a lot of that. However I've not seen the latest episode yet. Will watch on 4 od.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, worded that all wrong, I was saying that although Derek, as Ricky has acknowledged, could be argued to come across as someone with learning difficulties, Ricky never envisioned him as having any, the press just assumed it from the way he played him.
    Of course he did. He just wants to have his cake and eat it.
  • AA2009AA2009 Posts: 8,378
    Forum Member
    Episode seemed like a series of sketches stuck together.

First part was all the girl on community service and her predictable change.
    Then five minutes in the library with Kev being ridiculously over the top.
    Then lots of shots of old people and Derek dancing which seemed like filler.
    Then a montage to a Radiohead song. This was okay but could have been stuck on the end of any episode.

And far too much sad piano music and looks to camera as usual.

Not seeing how it's "great tv."
  • annwannw Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving the show.