Gazza back in rehab

Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2187616/Worried-friends-rush-Paul-Gascoigne-rehab-reports-downs-gin-breakfast-takes-Valium.html

Such a contrast after seeing the new sporting heros emerge at London 2012 to a former hero as a shell of a human.

Sadly, I think the top comment is right. He's going down the Best route and there doesn't seem to be a way back now. He won't make 50 :(

Comments

• FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sad.. he's a flawed genius.

Can't help but think if he had a stronger manager..
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad to see him in the clutches of his demons once more.:(

Hope he can find the strength to fight this again.
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He said recently he wasn't going to end up like George Best.

Sadly, I think he's going to. :(
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    So sad.. he's a flawed genius.

Can't help but think if he had a stronger manager..

My OH always said things could have been different if he'd signed for Man U.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    My OH always said things could have been different if he'd signed for Man U.

I agree with your OH, Fergie would have been a tougher disciplinarian than Venables.

This is so sad, but I'm not surprised - he was such a great talent too :(
  • Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid any sympathy I had for Gazza went west a long time ago.

How many chances does he think he'll have left before he kills himself?
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why should sympathy run out? I don't understand.

He is a troubled man and I would like him to be happy and successful. I hope that he can turn his life around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Gazza is an addict, sympathy would be of no use to him, only proper, sustained, professional help.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly don't think anyone can help Gazza.. Whatever his demons are ..
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the big problems Gazza has is that he doesn't appear to have any real back up from those who surround him.

He can have all the rehab in the world but, unless he has a support sytem when he comes out, he'll fall of the wagon time and time again.

I remember watching a programme about him before and, even after he announced he was an alcoholic, his family were still taking him down the pub. It's like they don't really understand or want to.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    I see him out and about in Boscombe now and then

always says hello
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    One of the big problems Gazza has is that he doesn't appear to have any real back up from those who surround him.

He can have all the rehab in the world but, unless he has a support sytem when he comes out, he'll fall of the wagon time and time again.

I remember watching a programme about him before and, even after he announced he was an alcoholic, his family were still taking him down the pub. It's like they don't really understand or want to.

Totally agree. It's a pretty desperate situation, poor old Gazza :(
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember when he turned up at Roaul Moat's siege, with some food to be taken in to him?
  • QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    I'm sick of reading his endless "i'm back on the wagon, honest this time" interviews (which I'll bet he was always well paid for). The man will go the same way George Best did. I've no doubt about it. Alcholism is not an illness. Cancer is an illness. Those who want to rid themselves of alcholism enough, do. You cannot willpower an illness away.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    QWERTYOP wrote: »
    I'm sick of reading his endless "i'm back on the wagon, honest this time" interviews (which I'll bet he was always well paid for). The man will go the same way George Best did. I've no doubt about it. Alcholism is not an illness. Cancer is an illness. Those who want to rid themselves of alcholism enough, do. You cannot willpower an illness away.

What branch of the medical profession are you in?
  • Louise_WoodLouise_Wood Posts: 289
    Forum Member

:( If only it was that simple, I lost my beloved cousin at 37 to alcohol.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In this case, ignorance is not bliss.:yawn:

Alcoholism is a chronic, lifelong disease. However, if managed properly, damage to the brain can be stopped and to some extent reversed. In addition to problem drinking, the disease is characterized by symptoms including an impaired control over alcohol, compulsive thoughts about alcohol, and distorted thinking. Alcoholism can also lead indirectly, through excess consumption, to physical dependence on alcohol, and diseases such as cirrhosis of the liver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disease_theory_of_alcoholism
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,461
    Forum Member
    Gazza is an addict, sympathy would be of no use to him, only proper, sustained, professional help.

No it wouldn't

I have worked on alcohol treatment units and was married to an alcoholic for 17 years. Professional help was sought so many times and given - it was however rejected by the addict because alcohol was all he wanted.

No amount of professional help can stop a person drinking - they have to want to do it. Some of them do not want to do it enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alcholism is not an illness. Cancer is an illness. Those who want to rid themselves of alcholism enough, do. You cannot willpower an illness away.

Addiction is an illness. It can be an addiction to sugar, booze or drugs, but it's extremely difficult to cure if you have an addictive personality.

Amy Winehouse is a case in point. After she'd been to rehab, she was seen buying and eating vast quantities of sweets, but drink killed her in the end, so it looks as if she needed some kind of addiction otherwise she couldn't get through her day or her life.

Gazza seems to have no support from his family, and if as others have said, they take him to the pub when he's with them, he doesn't need them either. He's had countless courses of rehab, but in the end nothing seems to benefit him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not at all surprised at this news.
    Osusana wrote: »

I have worked on alcohol treatment units and was married to an alcoholic for 17 years. Professional help was sought so many times and given - it was however rejected by the addict because alcohol was all he wanted.

No amount of professional help can stop a person drinking - they have to want to do it. Some of them do not want to do it enough.

You are right. He says he's an alcoholic, but has he actually admitted it to himself. It doesn't sound as if he has. Only he can stop drinking. It would be great if he had family/friends/doctors backing him up (and not the type who would take him to a pub), but at the end of the day it's down to him.
  • My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You've never had to see someone you love and care about battle alcohol addiction, have you?
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i cant stand gazza, i empathise with his addiction struggles but it's the way he's treated his family that's disgusting.
  • JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've never had to see someone you love and care about battle alcohol addiction, have you?

I have. My mother.
    She ****ed up 5 sons.
    I have no sympathy with any selfish alcoholic.
    So shove it!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoLuc wrote: »
    I have. My mother.
    She ****ed up 5 sons.
    I have no sympathy with any selfish alcoholic.
    So shove it!!!

Doesn't sound as though your mother wanted to give up the booze for either herself or her five sons.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,928
    Forum Member
    Alcoholism is a terrible disease, unless you experience it yourself either through being an alcoholic yourself or seeing a love one who is addicted to drink then it is impossible to know the impact the disease can have on an individual and there families. The next drink for an alcoholic is as important as the next breath for a 'normal' person. Yes a person can stop drinking if they really want to and they are really determined but the odds are against it long term. 80% of people who stop drinking, will of restarted Drinking within a year.

Alcoholism has no boundaries, as a Doctor or a lawyer can as easily become an Alcoholic as someone who is out of work and living on the streets. A common misconception is that an Alcoholic is a tramp who Drinks Vodka and Cider on a street corner at 9 o Clock in the morning, when the reality is more and more middle class people who go through 2 to 3 bottles of wine a night, have a big alcohol problem.

Also a major problem for an alcoholic who is trying to stop, is that if they are Drinking high levels of Alcohol daily then they can't stop just like that, as the person could end up having seizures or even in some cases die. It is not as easy as people say, they can't just stop. A person can only have a chance of stopping drinking if they want to, no doctor, family members, work colleagues or friends can stop an alcoholic drinking if they want to continue, just like Sir Alex Ferguson could not of stopped Gazza drinking, if he had joined Man. Utd instead of Spurs all them years ago, as alcoholics are fantastic liars when it comes to drinking.

Gazza is in the fight of his life and i think it will be one that he ultimately looses as he is not ready to stop drinking and i think he is beyond help, although i hope he proves me wrong. I hope Gazza can beat his demons but sadly i'd be surprised if he does as Alcoholism is a life long illness for an alcoholic.