best movie of a brit sit com

mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
Forum Member
id say porridge .also i quite liked the movie of ,the likely lads,not as good as the tv show but the magic between bolam and bews couldnt never be compleaty dimed i recall this great piece of diolgue"id give you a beer but iv only got 6 cans" :D

Comments

• JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    I think Porridge and The Likely Lads are generally considered to be two of the best "tv spin offs" as they called them back then. I quite liked the first Steptoe And Son film although it was actually quite sad in parts seeing Harolds marriage destroyed. Its been said on here many times that most of these films went wrong by taking the cast out of their usual environment and most of them involved the characters going on holiday. I think the biggest rip off was the Rising Damp film which used situations and storylnes already done in the series! Sill hard to believe that On The Buses was the biggest grossing film of 1971 beating Diamonds Are Forever! Mind you even last year The Inbetweeners was a huge hit. If it had beaten Harry Potter it would have been a modern equivalent of 1971.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,108
    Forum Member
    Porridge & The Likely Lads are the best IMO, too. Both written by Dick Clement & Ian La Frenais. Coincidence? I think not :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like everybody else, I think Porridge is the clear winner.

I've also got a sneaking admiration for the Alf Garnett films (Til death do us part + The Alf Garnett saga) because they tried to expand the character and give him some history.

I was never really a fan of the Likely Lads, but I can appreciate that the film was well done.

TBH though, I think it's easier to come up with the really bad films, as oppose to the good ones :o

Apart from the On the Buses trilogy, the others that come immediately to mind as being outstandingly appalling are;
    Are you being served?
    Love Thy Neighbour
    Please Sir
    Man about the House.

Stinkers! All of 'em. IMHO of course...
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wulfster wrote: »
    Are you being served?

Oh gawd! I can't believe I sat through that. The standard 'holiday to Spain' set up and ''ere aren't foreigners peculiar' humour if I remember rightly. Bloody awful.

The Rising Damp movie deserves special mention if only for the bizarre and awful disco theme song. Anyone remember that?
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the Steptoe and Son film that has them faking the Dad's death for the life insurance?

Love all those whole wake and funeral scenes. Harold throwing himeself on the coffin trying to wake his dad up, the drunk doctor examining the shop dummy.

And what a cast.

Yootha Joyce as the sympathetic aunt(?) in particular.:D
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steptoe & Son Ride Again

I like Porridge,Steptoe & Son Ride Again & Dad's Army.I don't mind the Are You Being Served film.
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    in ,please sir ,the fenn street gang looked ready for retirement peter cleall who played duffy was 27
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Up Pompeii
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked The Likely Lads.

I still can't believe there's a film version of George and Mildred. In a way, it's good that it was released some months after Yootha Joyce's death.

The worst? Has to be Guest House Paradiso with the guys from Bottom. But some friends really loved it. Odd. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Dads Army is a good film version, all the characters are just as they would be on TV, hate it when they take the situation and characters out of what we are used to. The Likely Lads, and Porridge are also very good. Loved that bit in Porridge, when Fletch and Godber are trying to get back to prison after accidentally escaping(!), and see a member of the opposite sex, "Look Fletch a woman!":D
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah. i 2nd dads army. its a good movie that works by itself. not dependent on tv version.

some good jokes. and quite cinematic. the narrative is "taken from" a few of the tv episodes but gets treated differently for the big screen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    The Rising Damp movie deserves special mention if only for the bizarre and awful disco theme song. Anyone remember that?

"Rising Damp ..
    It's rising up the wall.
    Rising Damp.
    It's gonna get us all!"

Something like that wasn't it :D:D :rolleyes:

I actually saw the film in a small local cinema in a double bill with Porridge. Double bills ... remember those?
    I don't actually mind it, but it terribly misses the presence of Richard Beckinsale.
    Love the Rigsby picnic scene though...

I'd quite forgotten about Dad's Army. That acts almost as an "origin" story! Good stuff.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    I liked The Likely Lads.

I still can't believe there's a film version of George and Mildred. In a way, it's good that it was released some months after Yootha Joyce's death.

The worst? Has to be Guest House Paradiso with the guys from Bottom. But some friends really loved it. Odd. :o

Guest House Paradiso was probably the best outside of the obvious On The Buses. Simply a movie that wasn't supposed to be taken too seriously, just like Bottom itself. Some brilliant laughs and as per usual a fantastic job from both Ade and Rik.
  • HowjoHowjo Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    another for up pompeii
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porridge and Dad's Army are very good, but Up Pompeii wins due to the presence of Julie Ege, Adrienne Posta and Madeline Smith.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Wulfster wrote: »
    I'd quite forgotten about Dad's Army. That acts almost as an "origin" story! Good stuff.

Dad's Army didn't need an 'origin story' - all of that was covered in the first television series, if anything the film is a remake/expansion in the same way that the Rising Damp film was.

The Likely Lads and Till Death... are the clear winners for me, in that the former is a proper continuation of the television series and the latter is much more ambitious than most films of this type. Porridge is ok but kind of works against the strengths of the television series which was at it's finest when played and written like theatre. The first Steptoe film is great until they go on the honeymoon when it falls apart completely.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a direct 'film of the show' but Shaun Of The Dead owes so much to Spaced I like to think of it as an 'alternative reality' version.
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love Thy Neighbour deserves a mention, only ever seen the film once and recall it was pretty good and on par with the series (assuming the dated racism tickles your funny bone).

Keep those fingers crossed for a daytime showing on ITV4.