BBC/Sky Golf Coverage 2013

F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
Forum Member
✭✭✭
New thread for 2013 Golf coverage discussion here. Pretty much the same as the 2012 thread.

BBC really have very little from now on and it's all mostly sky. Feel free to post coverage details and opinions.

Take it away!:D

Ken

Comments

• DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure BBC have six days of live mens golf in 2013.

Last two days of masters of 4 days of the open
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Yes, 6 live days. Not too bad I guess compared to the number of live days football or cricket they have this year. I think they also have highlights of the Scottish Open and PGA Championship.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to The Masters this year as I now have a 3D tv and this event is being shown in 3D.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thedrewser wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to The Masters this year as I now have a 3D tv and this event is being shown in 3D.

http://www-pre.masters.com/3D/index.html
    Patrons around the globe will be able to enjoy 3D coverage of the Masters Tournament on television and across the internet through Masters.com.
    The Masters 3D experience will be available to viewers with the required hardware and software as described below.

Live 3D coverage will be available on Masters.com and ESPN 3D during the following windows:

Wednesday 10 April 2013:3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.Thursday 11 April 2013:4:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.Friday 12 April 2013:4:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.Saturday 13 April 2013:4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.Sunday 14 April 2013:4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very interesting and good news:

Live 3rd round coverage of The Masters is starting 30 minutes earlier than previously this year.

There doesn't appear to have been any announcement by Augusta National but the CBS schedule clearly shows Round 3 coverage from 3pm to 7pm (ET) whereas it was previously 3.30pm to 7pm (ET). See link:

http://www.cbssports.com/cbssports/schedules/page/golf

This was raised on someone's blog which states: "Saturday’s coverage is listed as 3-7pm ET. I have confirmed through CBS Sports spokeswoman Jennifer Sabatelle that that is indeed correct". See link:

http://jschil.wordpress.com/2013/01/23/golf-is-the-masters-on-cbs-expanding/

No doubt BBC and Sky will be taking this as they always match the US live coverage in full (though Sky sometimes goes on air earlier for discussion / clips).

This will mean very nearly full live coverage of all 18 holes in the 3rd round. The final group tees off at 2.45pm ET (7.45pm UK) so the final group should be on the 2nd tee when live coverage starts. I'd expect CBS to show clips of the 1st hole on delay and I imagine the first shots of the "continuous" live CBS coverage will be of the final group on the 2nd fairway.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,824
    Forum Member
    Have the beeb got highlights of any tour events?
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    Have the beeb got highlights of any tour events?

BMW PGA and the Scottish open. It's better than nothing.

I will really miss the live coverage.

Ken
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,824
    Forum Member
    F1Ken wrote: »
    BMW PGA and the Scottish open. It's better than nothing.

I will really miss the live coverage.

Ken

Yes me too, though I have vowed to play more this year so that will have to compensate :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Very interesting and good news:

Live 3rd round coverage of The Masters is starting 30 minutes earlier than previously this year.

There doesn't appear to have been any announcement by Augusta National but the CBS schedule clearly shows Round 3 coverage from 3pm to 7pm (ET) whereas it was previously 3.30pm to 7pm (ET). See link:

http://www.cbssports.com/cbssports/schedules/page/golf

This was raised on someone's blog which states: "Saturday’s coverage is listed as 3-7pm ET. I have confirmed through CBS Sports spokeswoman Jennifer Sabatelle that that is indeed correct". See link:

http://jschil.wordpress.com/2013/01/23/golf-is-the-masters-on-cbs-expanding/

No doubt BBC and Sky will be taking this as they always match the US live coverage in full (though Sky sometimes goes on air earlier for discussion / clips).

This will mean very nearly full live coverage of all 18 holes in the 3rd round. The final group tees off at 2.45pm ET (7.45pm UK) so the final group should be on the 2nd tee when live coverage starts. I'd expect CBS to show clips of the 1st hole on delay and I imagine the first shots of the "continuous" live CBS coverage will be of the final group on the 2nd fairway.

Thanks mlt11 for this. Great work! and very good news. That would mean and 8 o'clock start. Cant wait for the masters. It's one of the very few chances I get to watch live golf.

Ken
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    Yes me too, though I have vowed to play more this year so that will have to compensate :)

Yes I have to. I usually walk down the fairway with my mates and we all impersonate a member of the BBC's commentary team. I'm Peter Alliss. One of my mates does a hilarious Ken Brown running around the green randomly throwing golf balls in the ditch!

If we can't have real BBC coverage we can have pretend coverage!:D

Oh dear we are a funny bunch. It's a good laugh though. Can't say I'm very good.

Ken
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Besides the above lest we forget the BBC still have the Women's Open,
    I worry post 2016.
    Al lot of people like sport, but the BBC has less sport due (in part) to the Licence Fee freeze. But when the LF is reviewed, could see it being frozen or paltry rise, and more sport goimg to Sky :(

Mind you the BBC might show some Olympic Gold in 2016 :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Besides the above lest we forget the BBC still have the Women's Open,
    I worry post 2016.
    Al lot of people like sport, but the BBC has less sport due (in part) to the Licence Fee freeze. But when the LF is reviewed, could see it being frozen or paltry rise, and more sport goimg to Sky :(

Mind you the BBC might show some Olympic Gold in 2016 :D

I don't usually watch that but because we really don't have much at all I shall give it a go.

As for the licence Fee. God knows. I hope it doesn't get another freeze. I would pay double if I was allowed.

And they will be showing Olympic golf so there's a small consolation. I would love Alliss to be able to commentate on that. It would be a great event to bow out on even though it's unlikely. I will miss Alliss when he decides to hang up the mic.

Sad day that will be. It would be as sad as Murray Walker retiring.

Ken
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And they will be showing Olympic golf so there's a small cancellation. I would love Alliss to be able to commentate on that. It would be a great event to bow out on even though it's unlikely. I will miss Alliss when he decides to hang up the mic.

That's a very good shout indeed. Alliss will be 85 at the Olympics - making that his final event would be the perfect way to go out after all these years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a very good shout indeed. Alliss will be 85 at the Olympics - making that his final event would be the perfect way to go out after all these years.

David Coleman bowed out after the 2000 Olympic games so I see no reason why Alliss couldn't.

Alliss is a Marmite commentator and I am on the love side. I don't know how many times he has made me cry with laughter over the years. What a great bloke. I met him at Wentworth a few years ago for the PGA and he walked passed and I saw him so I said hello expecting him to just simply say hello and walk on.

Well we ended up having a rather lengthy chat about the days play! So much so my wife moaned at me for taking ages to get back to the car! A true gent.

Ken
  • nicktrownicktrow Posts: 869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, BBC Wales had highlights of the Wales Open in 2012, BBC Northern Ireland had highlights of the Irish Open in 2012. So keep an eye out for these too.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We will also have BT competing now against Sky over the new few years, and they will be looking to provide a diverse range of sports to its portfolio - stuff like golf is good as it fills a lot of airtime.

Competition and therefore the demand between Sky and BT for such events will increase the prices, which the BBC will not be able to justify, and also leave fewer scraps for them to pick up.
  • redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    We will also have BT competing now against Sky over the new few years, and they will be looking to provide a diverse range of sports to its portfolio - stuff like golf is good as it fills a lot of airtime.

Competition and therefore the demand between Sky and BT for such events will increase the prices, which the BBC will not be able to justify, and also leave fewer scraps for them to pick up.

Pretty sure Sky have a have lot of things tied up for a few year yet before BT can even think of bidding for stuff
  • redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if we get Sky at the WGC this week or presenting for the studio. Reckon we might see them commentating from Arizona but David Livingston and couple of guests presenting from the studio
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nicktrow wrote: »
    Also, BBC Wales had highlights of the Wales Open in 2012, BBC Northern Ireland had highlights of the Irish Open in 2012. So keep an eye out for these too.

With Irish Open back south of the Border (Carton House) will be interesting to see if BBC NI have anyhighlights though I have my doubts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure Sky have a have lot of things tied up for a few year yet before BT can even think of bidding for stuff

BT would surely have a go when there is an opening. Sky have long term contracts though.

Ken
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky have long term contracts though.

Hope so. I went four years without the US PGA when it went to Setanta.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky have long term contracts though.

For the record, Sky has:

- European Tour (inc WGCs and Ryder Cup) to end of 2018
    - US Tour to end of 2017

- Masters up to and including 2014
    - US Open up to and including 2014
    - US PGA Championship up to and including 2016

So there's nothing really for BT to go for in the foreseeable future. They could go for the Masters and US Open in 2015 but would they want to pay top money just for one off events (however big) when they wouldn't have any other golf throughout the year? Probably not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Hope so. I went four years without the US PGA when it went to Setanta.

The Masters is the next one up. I would expect a continuation of the current deal as it was worked well. Current it to 2014 I think.

ET is tied as for the US PGA id don't know. BT have two channels to fill and golf is very useful for doing that.

Ken
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    I went four years without the US PGA when it went to Setanta.

Three I think - 2007, 2008 and 2009.

Started back on Sky in 2010 (and end of 2009 was on Eurosport???)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the record, Sky has:

- European Tour (inc WGCs and Ryder Cup) to end of 2018
    - US Tour to end of 2017

- Masters up to and including 2014
    - US Open up to and including 2014
    - US PGA Championship up to and including 2016

So there's nothing really for BT to go for in the foreseeable future. They could go for the Masters and US Open in 2015 but would they want to pay top money just for one off events (however big) when they wouldn't have any other golf throughout the year? Probably not.

Thanks. I knew you would tie it up for us mlt11. :)

So it's all long term but I don't get the feeling BT are in this for a short splash and dash. They are players now I reckon and if you think about it they are a bigger company than sky. Not that I am saying they are going to be destroying sky but I think they could be effective.

Ken