BBC Four World Cinema Awards

dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm glad to see the beeb raising the profile of foreign language cinema, but these awards have a fatal flaw. By the time they are held, most of the films have been out for some time. Indeed, the last five winners have been two years old by the time they won it. I realise there's usually a delay between a foreign film's domestic release and its arrival in Britain, but these awards are so badly timed they're out of date before they're even screened, in much the same way the BAFTA's used to be before they were moved ahead of the Oscars.

Going by domestic release, none of this year's nominees are actually 2010 films, 3 are from 2009 and 2 from 2008. I still think the awards are a good idea but they should be honouring this year's films, not those released so long ago even those who have seen them have probably forgotten half the plot!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looked at the shortlist and I cant believe Let The Right One In is on there. I mean .. Whats the point in putting a 2008 film in 2010 awards. Especially as LTROI had its UK Theatrical release in early 2009.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looked at the shortlist and I cant believe Let The Right One In is on there. I mean .. Whats the point in putting a 2008 film in 2010 awards. Especially as LTROI had its UK Theatrical release in early 2009.

Another problem is that the awards have been moved from January to October, so it has been 21 months since the last awards, perhaps December would be better.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was no award given last year, is it the victim of BBC cutbacks?