Lady Gaga's letter to Kelly Osbourne.

tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Dear Kelly,
While I wish you had reached out to me personally, as the head of the Born This Way foundation with my mother Cynthia we would like to respond. Everyday, through my music and public voice I choose to be positive and work towards a kinder and braver world with our community of followers. I encourage them to ignore criticism, stand up to bullies, know their own value and see that we are all the same and no one person is worth more than another. I know I’m perceived as a wild child, but in reality I am woman that deeply cares for humanity. I have empathy for you Kelly, but I feel it culturally important to note that you have chosen a less compassionate path. Your work on E! with the Fashion Police is rooted in criticism, judgment, and rating people's beauty against one another. “Appearance” is the most used reason for bullying in the world. Your show breeds negativity, and over the years has even become comedic in nature. It glorifies you and Joan Rivers pointing in the camera, laughing, and making jokes about artists and celebrities as if we are zoo animals.
What about your body revolution? It used to make me truly sad when I would hear people talk about your weight when you were younger, as I was bullied too. To see you blossoming into a beautiful slender woman who makes fun of others for a living is astounding. Why not help others? Why not defend others who are bullied for their image and share your story?
I am pointing this out not to take a crack at your character, as we’ve met before and you’re lovely. However, I urge you to take responsibility and accountability for the example that you are setting for young people. They look up to you because you are famous, and if you treat others that way on TV, many adolescents at home on twitter assume your actions are acceptable: well if she does it, why can’t I? I cannot control my fans, and I discourage them from any negativity and violence, because that is wrong and hurtful -- and I do feel baldy that your feelings were hurt. However, we can all do our part in the media to set a standard of respect, compassion, and love. I wish for you to be treated with the kindness and respect that everyone deserves.
While some of my fans have learning to do, most of them share the same values as I, and it's what bonds us together. And that bond is strong.
Sincerely
Gaga and Cynthia
www.bornthiswayfoundation.org

I think Gaga is a very good role model (despite criticism). I too thought Kelly has had a bit of a mind block when it comes to her image previously and how she views herself/others now.

Comments

• DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaga has soared in my opinion.:D

The Osbourne nobody is a talentless media-**** who would be well suited to the abomination that is Andre.:yawn:
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just can't like Lady Gaga because she wears fur. I find it impossible to understand the absolute unnecessary cruelty.:(
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaga has soared in my opinion.:D

The Osbourne nobody is a talentless media-**** who would be well suited to the abomination that is Andre.:yawn:

What some will refuse to recognize is Gaga is a decent person and has come from "decent stock" (as it were). It's clear she was well brought up and with manners etc (admittedly performance wise this isn't always projected). However I have always admired her for never rising to the bait when other celebrities inparticular publicly slate her.

However in her open letter to Kelly, it pin-points not only the abuse she has been subjected to, but the abuse other celebrities have taken via those vile women on that TV show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just can't like Lady Gaga because she wears fur. I find it impossible to understand the absolute unnecessary cruelty.:(

She doesn't wear fur. It's fake. She's said so herself (LONG story but the famous meat dress was a statement of that).
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    Fashion Police is the most hypocritical show on television.

The very idea of Joan Rivers (who is basically made of plastic and carbon fibre at this point in her life), Kelly Osbourne (a world renowned fashion icon apparently) and Giuliana Ranic (who resembles an anorexic Ferengi) commenting on the appearance of other people and mocking those who don't live up to their standards is utterly ridiculous.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What some will refuse to recognize is Gaga is a decent person and has come from "decent stock" (as it were). It's clear she was well brought up and with manners etc (admittedly performance wise this isn't always projected). However I have always admired her for never rising to the bait when other celebrities inparticular publicly slate her.

However in her open letter to Kelly, it pin-points not only the abuse she has been subjected to, but the abuse other celebrities have taken via those vile women on that TV show.

Totally agree.:)

That Osbourne brat...............well just look at her parents.:yawn:
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    Kelly Osbourne is the epitome of celebrity nepotism

If she didn't have "Osbourne" in her name, no one would give her a second look, let alone jobs in the entertainment industry based on things she has no qualification for, such as singing (remember that?) and fashion critique
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Lady Gaga anyway, she has great character, a true showperson but you sense she does really like people too. She has her spats but I think her heart is in the right place.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've tried to like Kelly but she just can't seem to help herself, never failing to come across as spoiled and entitled with nothing in the way of talent to redeem her. Changing your hair colour and losing weight is not a substitute for talent. If she were competing on her own merits, and not her family's notoriety, well, no one would have heard of her.

Gaga's stance is valid enough in context and Kelly deserves every word of it. But wait, and it's surely coming, Kelly will see it as 'bullying' and do her usual 'poor me' victim act. Probably with Sharon hard on her heels.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    `fashion police` is hilarious and is not meant to be taken seriously.:rolleyes: this `open letter` is yet another example of gaga taking herself too seriously and not being able to take the criticism that comes along with her fame.

kylie was on that show recently and she has been on the receiving end of joan rivers`s acid tongue on the same show in the past. it didn't seem to bother her and she was able to laugh at herself. gaga however, seems to lack that level of professionalism and seems to think she is on some sort of tolerance crusade.:sleep:
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelly went down in my estimation when she launched an unprovoked attack on Dannii Minogue after she spoke out about how Sharon had bullied her when she first joined the X Factor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    `fashion police` is hilarious and is not meant to be taken seriously.:rolleyes: this `open letter` is yet another example of gaga taking herself too seriously and not being able to take the criticism that comes along with her fame.

kylie was on that show recently and she has been on the receiving end of joan rivers`s acid tongue on the same show in the past. it didn't seem to bother her and she was able to laugh at herself. gaga however, seems to lack that level of professionalism and seems to think she is on some sort of tolerance crusade.:sleep:

But that's the problem, it's not funny. It's a show based at making fun of people, REAL people. Just because these people happen to be artists/celebs doesn't make it acceptable. Admittedly even if this vile show was axed, it doesn't take away the negativity in the world but this show certainly contributes to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that's the problem, it's not funny. It's a show based at making fun of people, REAL people. Just because these people happen to be artists/celebs doesn't make it acceptable. Admittedly even if this vile show was axed, it doesn't take away the negativity in the world but this show certainly contributes to it.

i don't find some of fans behaviour amusing either and perhaps she should get her own house in order first. she says she cant control her fans, so why does she think this letter is going to achieve anything?:confused:
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She says this but herself promotes the smoking of cannabis, puts out overly sexualised videos which in some cases even trump Rihanna, Britney, Madonna etc. Her career has thrived on people having an opinion on her appearance and behaviour so I'm very bemused and slightly amused at this letter...

And as for 'breeding negativity', GaGa is as much a culprit of this as Kelly, if not more. Her crazed aptly named 'Monsters' have been responsible for vile and disgraceful tirades against other celebrities such as death threats, death rumours and all other kinds of nasty and debauched comments in her defence, yet she has not spoken out against this.

If anything she comes across hypocritical in this letter and as others have said, comes across as taking herself too seriously. It would have been better if she didn't say anything at all, as quite frankly she is not in a position to be calling out others celebrities on their influential behaviour.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »

Agree re Fashion Police. I love Joan Rivers, and I do think Fashion Police is a hoot, but Joan has the personality to carry it off, it's all part and parcel of who she is and her decades of self-deprecating comedy, and I think most celebs with a sense of perspective and humour understand her barbs. Kelly however doesn't have Joan's wit or personality to carry off the 'snark'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Gaga has exceeded the sexualization in comparison to Rihanna (S&M. Need I say anymore) and Madonna (Erotica and Justify My love videos!).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Agree re Fashion Police. I love Joan Rivers, and I do think Fashion Police is a hoot, but Joan has the personality to carry it off, it's all part and parcel of who she is and her decades of self-deprecating comedy. Kelly doesn't have Joan's wit or personality.

i am not ashamed to say i like the fashion police and i find joan hilarious. kelly i can take or leave, but joan is figurehead of that show. i bet gaga wouldn't dare send this sort of pretentious nonsense to joan, can you imagine joan`s reaction.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    She says this but herself promotes the smoking of cannabis, puts out overly sexualised videos which in some cases even trump Rihanna, Britney, Madonna etc. Her career has thrived on people having an opinion on her appearance and behaviour so I'm very bemused and slightly amused at this letter...

And as for 'breeding negativity', GaGa is as much a culprit of this as Kelly, if not more. Her crazed aptly named 'Monsters' have been responsible for vile and disgraceful tirades against other celebrities such as death threats, death rumours and all other kinds of nasty and debauched comments in her defence, yet she has not spoken out against this.

If anything she comes across hypocritical in this letter and as others have said, comes across as taking herself too seriously. It would have been better if she didn't say anything at all, as quite frankly she is not in a position to be calling out others celebrities on their influential behaviour.

She's not criticising being shallow and appearance obsessed, she's basically saying "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". Kelly is complaining about being insulted and "bullied", whilst making a living from a show which insults and "bullies" for entertainment.

She isn't responsible. She's a ****ing popstar, not a parent to these immature trolls and stans. She has spoken out SEVERAL times about this. I wish people would actually pay attention and/or do their research. Beyond making a statement there isn't much she can do.

How does she come across as hypocritical exactly?

She shouldn't say anything at all...yet you condemn her for not speaking out about this? Ok.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    I've watched a few clips of it online and it can be very funny. What really makes me laugh is when they make fun of the way people look (as opposed to the way they dress) - none of them are exactly great to look at.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not criticising being shallow and appearance obsessed, she's basically saying "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". Kelly is complaining about being insulted and "bullied", whilst making a living from a show which insults and "bullies" for entertainment.

She isn't responsible. She's a ****ing popstar, not a parent to these immature trolls and stans. She has spoken out SEVERAL times about this. I wish people would actually pay attention and/or do their research. Beyond making a statement there isn't much she can do.

She shouldn't say anything at all...yet you condemn her for not speaking out about this? Ok.

This!

Basically, over 10 years ago we all knew Kelly for being overweight because this was so heavily documented and shoved down our throats. NOW we all know Kelly because she's lost loads of weight and keeps banging on about it BUT is now criticizing the image of others.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She shouldn't say anything at all...yet you condemn her for not spoken out about this? Ok.

She's in a glass house herself so she should take her own advice before dishing it out to others. GaGa knows the industry she is in, and knows that she herself has thrived off people having an opinion on her, good or bad, so it just doesn't make sense for her to write these letters about how people shouldn't be judged on her appearance when that very thing is the reason why she rose to prominence so quickly.

If she isn't responsible why does she think she can write a letter to Kelly and expect her to change? She hasn't done anything of note to stop these fans of hers spreading negativity, a few hushed comments to the press isn't going to do much. She is much more responsible for spreading negativity than Kelly Osbourne is.

The reason I said she shouldn't say anything at all is because she is all to quick to keep her mouth shut when her fans are sending death threats, so she should choose a stance and stick to it.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Never ever assume that someone's fur clothing is real. It could easily be fake. The animal rights extremists are all too quick to judge people who could easily be wearing fake fur.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joan is the first person who rips herself apart.
    If she sat there like Kelly and took herself so serious then yes Gaga would have a point.
    I find it amazing gaga writes this but allows her "little monsters" to run riot all over the internet or rather a certain section of them who bully and insult others.Shes playing a bit of a dangerous game? im sure theres going to be sections of the media will be glad to point out her failings at easing situations down.

Im guessing whats hurt Gaga is the end of year show when Kelly suggested gaga needs to find a new look as the OTT outfits are getting boring.
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've never watched this show, but completely see your point about Gaga not being responsible for her fans behaviour. She's a star with a global following. How is she responsible for the behaviour of any and every fan who follows her? I don't doubt that the fans of many other stars have made death threats, but the star they follow is certainly not responsible for that.

Kelly's always been pretty good at whining when she sees herself as being 'bullied' but not so good at realising the self same bullying behaviour from her towards other people hurts them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If youve not watched fashion police please try
    its on E! on sundays at 21:00 then repeated on mondays I think either 21/22:00

Joan is utterly amazing on this show.courtney love without doubt and snooki have been the biggest targets on there.Its goto be the boring comments from George and Kelly have got her writing.