Sam Callahan's Absolutely Massive House

BobbyNoMatesBobbyNoMates Posts: 1,195
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did anyone else notice this? Made me think he was a bit of a prat for laying on the 'poor me, the bartender' lines as thick as he did. It's not like if he didn't get through he'd be packed off down to the workhouse!

I hate inverted snobbery as much as the next person, but it did seem to make his earlier statements a bit silly. Must be the first time that the xfactor mansion has actually been a downgrade for one of the contestants :D

Comments

• cezzycezzy Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't that his parent's house? Failing that he may have rented it aka Judges 'houses'?:D
  • sstephanie40sstephanie40 Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The lowdown on Sam.

Has current management that got him an invite to the show....

Attended Sylvia Young Theatre School - which isn't cheap!
    (Was in the same year as most of District 3/ Lydia Lucy!)

So the barman story simply isn't 100% true.

He's spent most of this year in Scotland - doing school tours and rehearsing his act with his manager/producer.
    This is so he's ready to be launched as a solo act in 2014.......
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the overs was stood facing their family who were sat on a large sofa. Behind the sofa was a wall, with a TV on it. I pray that they moved the TV there, because there was no sofa where the over was stood on the opposite side of the room.

Giles' family had a massive TV too.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All that and he's still one of the most mediocre boys ever. He doesn't stand a chance of making it as a solo artist.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it a rule that contestants can't be well-off?
  • BobbyNoMatesBobbyNoMates Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not at all, and I don't think I suggested it should be. My point was that it made his earlier 'all I've got waiting for me is bartending' lines seem quite silly in retrospect. Would rather he talked about his desire to win, said it was his greatest ambition and stop pretending that if he'd fluffed it at auditions he'd be heading to skid row.
  • rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't think any contestant has any say in how their background is put across tbh. The show always tries to suggest that they are all ordinary people living unremakable lives. It's done so since the show began.
  • EEAS1997EEAS1997 Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lowdown on Sam.

He's spent most of this year in Scotland - doing school tours and rehearsing his act with his manager/producer.

All of this and he's not half decent.

He has the look of a stereotypical popstar I suppose, and he's likely to gain a strong fanbase of hormonal tweens. He'll probably be in the competition for a bit, but I don't think he's the full package in terms of vocals. I can't imagine him having much of a career outside of the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not at all, and I don't think I suggested it should be. My point was that it made his earlier 'all I've got waiting for me is bartending' lines seem quite silly in retrospect. Would rather he talked about his desire to win, said it was his greatest ambition and stop pretending that if he'd fluffed it at auditions he'd be heading to skid row.

If its his parents' house, I don't see how the bartending lines don't still apply.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EddyEagal wrote: »
    All of this and he's not half decent.

He has the look of a stereotypical popstar I suppose, and he's likely to gain a strong fanbase of hormonal tweens. He'll probably be in the competition for a bit, but I don't think he's the full package in terms of vocals. I can't imagine him having much of a career outside of the show.

Agreed! He's in it because he can trust his "CallaFans" to buy tickets for the tour and vote online during the shows (remember the flash vote is in operation this year) and all this increases revenue for ITV/Syco!

This is why I think I'm right...

http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=047a9f598204d3bc3a0722cce&id=c87534e3a1
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member

I thought it was a rule that contestants must possess a modicum of talent - wait this is the X Factor isn't it:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    I thought it was a rule that contestants must possess a modicum of talent - wait this is the X Factor isn't it:rolleyes:

It is.

EDIT: "It is" the X Factor, rather than it is a rule.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly. With the financial advantages he's clearly had in life, there is no reason in the world he needs to be a bartender if he doesn't want to be. Assuming he has even one braincell, his parents could afford to send him to Uni where he could lay down the foundations for an actual career.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Satnavvy wrote: »

....And also the ability to sell merchandise at extortionate prices, tour tickets and get ITV revenue for votes cast....

That.....and the ability to hold a tune...

.....If not just get the autotune out!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Oh my goodness. I'm so shocked by how judgemental and ignorant people are.

What business is it of anybodies what any of the contestants background/financial status/parents' back accounts/education choices are??

And don't forget, things aren't always so black and white.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StageDive wrote: »
    Oh my goodness. I'm so shocked by how judgemental and ignorant people are.

What business is it of anybodies what any of the contestants background/financial status/parents' back accounts/education choices are??

And don't forget, things aren't always so black and white.

It becomes our business when XF forces easily disprovable sob stories down our throats.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's not just "a bartender". That's the issue here! He's a stage school graduate, with existing management!

He freely admits X Factor is part of his long term plan for wider exposure in order to become a recording artist.

Just as a doctor has training in order to become fully experienced so a future recording star should have training too.

That's not a problem - it's the covering it up that is!
    Forum Member
    But I don't think he's covering it up at all, is he??? As far as I can see, he's very open about it. Check out his website, it has all the details about what he's done, his stage school education and who he's working with now.

And if you look at his Twitter, he definitely does work in a local bar.

Again, another thing to bear in mind... the XF show you what they want you to see. It's them choosing what to feed the viewers, not the contestants.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    StageDive wrote: »
    But I don't think he's covering it up at all, is he??? As far as I can see, he's very open about it. Check out his website, it has all the details about what he's done, his stage school education and who he's working with now. And if you look at his Twitter, he definitely does work in a local bar.Again, another thing to bear in mind... the XF show you what they want you to see. It's them choosing what to feed the viewers, not the contestants.

Agreed. But if you're an average Sat night viewer, who doesn't check out backstories or Twitter......you will come to a different conclusion.

It's not rocket science that they would never tell viewers that he was invited to audition by producers (didn't queue for hours in the cold) and is being fast tracked to the live shows due to his management agreement with Syco?

See - one story for the informed, and a fairy story for the rest.
    Forum Member
    Absolutely and that is a shame, because I can completely see how that then makes the contestants out to be with holding truths.

How do you know that? Do you have inside information? I've done lots of research on him and even spoken to people who know him (he lives locally to me) and haven't heard that anywhere.

This is the first year I've really snooped online and also been on DS whilst watching the show and I can't decide whether I prefer not knowing things or not. I wonder what my opinion would have been had I not been forearmed with this knowledge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If people aren't interested enough to search online for his back story and more information on him, they're probably not likely to be bothered that he's been to stage school, invited by the producers, etc. Some people just treat it as a bit of Saturday night light entertainment, and are barely interested past the contestants' names let alone their life story.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The lowdown on Sam.

I swear that school is run by Cowell.:D
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member

I think it's a bit of a classist thing to say.

He may not live with his parents anymore and is trying to survive by himself. What's wrong with that? That way the story and everything matches up perfectly.
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    He's not just "a bartender". That's the issue here! He's a stage school graduate, with existing management!

He freely admits X Factor is part of his long term plan for wider exposure in order to become a recording artist.

Just as a doctor has training in order to become fully experienced so a future recording star should have training too.

That's not a problem - it's the covering it up that is!

How is he covering it up? He probably lives by himself, is trying to earn money himself instead of getting it from his rich parents. And he does this by bartendering and busking. I don't see anything conflict with this and the fact that his parents are rich/he has management/stage school graduate. Once you graduate - it's perfectly appropriate to start at the bottom and work your way somewhere.
    Forum Member
    How is he covering it up? He probably lives by himself, is trying to earn money himself instead of getting it from his rich parents. And he does this by bartendering and busking. I don't see anything conflict with this and the fact that his parents are rich/he has management/stage school graduate. Once you graduate - it's perfectly appropriate to start at the bottom and work your way somewhere.

Don't think he lives alone. I'm pretty sure he lives with parents, about half hour from me. However, even so, doesn't mean they do/should support him and he shouldn't pay his way. And I'd imagine, unless you make it big time, the career of a 'part time' popstar, who's trying to make it, really isn't all that lucrative, lol. It's certainly an all or nothing industry.