Can i install purchased software on both my computers

clycly Posts: 1,393
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just purchased a second computer that is obviously superior to my 6 year-old-one. The older one is still working perfectly so i intend to use both at once for as long as i am able to.

I have over time purchased many software programmes such as video editing, photo manipulation and audio editing suites. As a general rule will i be able to use my installation disk for these programmes to install and use on my second PC?

I'm ok with my anti-virus protection as that specifically states that one can use it on up to 3 computers.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be the same with all your software as with your AV. It all depends on what the licence says. It may restrict you to only one installation or it may allow installation on several machines as long as only one is in use at any one time.

If the software requires some sort of on-line authentication to run fully then that process may fail if you install it a second time on a single use licence.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    Generally speaking, no. The licence is normally for a single computer. You would need to check the documentation that comes with the product to see if there are any exceptions...for example recent copies of MS Office permit a 2nd installation on a laptop providing it belongs to the same person and only 1 is in use at a time.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of my (commercial) software will allow you to transfer from one PC to another, you may have to uninstall from the first one. As the others said it all depends.
  • clycly Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been a while since i installed some of them but ouch i think at least two of them could possibly 'ask' you to register or check for update at time of installation. The most expensive ones as well.

So this means that if at any time one's computer fails you then have to go re-purchasing expensive software programmes???

So what about when you are advised to reinstall in the event of faults how does the software know it's not a different ocmputer etc.?

The 'only one in use at a time' scenario would avoid that but not sure if any of them ever referred to that. I really struggle to think of anyone ever mentioning to me that they had to go out and buy new copies of all the software they use when upgrading computers.

Or is it that one could uninstall from the old computer and then install afresh in the new one? And in some way the disc marks that it has been uninstalled so can be installe don to a new computer?

Thanks for all input so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Most of my (commercial) software will allow you to transfer from one PC to another, you may have to uninstall from the first one. As the others said it all depends.

Didn't see that reply we posted at the same time, yes i am a slow typer lol.

But i would be interested as to the situation i mention, if one's computer crashes and can't be resucitated (lol am i too emotionally attached to my old computer using words like that?) does one then lose a fortune in software as well????? Surely that can't be right?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cly wrote: »
    Didn't see that reply we posted at the same time, yes i am a slow typer lol.

But i would be interested as to the situation i mention, if one's computer crashes and can't be resucitated (lol am i too emotionally attached to my old computer using words like that?) does one then lose a fortune in software as well????? Surely that can't be right?

I only really have experience of commercial software (expensive) but I've always been allowed to transfer to another computer even if it needs a key, I just tell them that the old one is broken and they send me a new key for the new machine, they don't check but I'm always honest anyway (I have to be since it's work). Cheap software I've used at home always transfers anyway with the key, I've not got any expensive personal software.

If you do get a crash and have to use a new machine and it won't transfer automatically most definitely get in contact with the company and I'd expect them to sort it out - if not you know where not to put your money next time.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just purchased a second computer that is obviously superior to my 6 year-old-one. The older one is still working perfectly so i intend to use both at once for as long as i am able to.

I have over time purchased many software programmes such as video editing, photo manipulation and audio editing suites. As a general rule will i be able to use my installation disk for these programmes to install and use on my second PC?

I'm ok with my anti-virus protection as that specifically states that one can use it on up to 3 computers.
    As I used to say in my Microsoft training courses: "If you think you might need a license, you do."
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    As I used to say in my Microsoft training courses: "If you think you might need a license, you do."

Not sure if I'd want to be trained by you. Supposing I thought I did need a licence but actually didn't . Your 'training', could cost me quite a lot of money if I shelled out for unnecessary licence fees. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    Not sure if I'd want to be trained by you. Supposing I thought I did need a licence but actually didn't . Your 'training', could cost me quite a lot of money if I shelled out for unnecessary licence fees. :eek:

Some consumer products allow multiple installations, but business software (which is what I was training IT professionals on) almost certainly does not.

The OP doesn't specify exactly what software he has, but most 'video editing, photo manipulation and audio editing suites' would most likely be one installation per licence.

Is that clear enough?
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    If its the Adobe stuff I seem to recall its just a case of deactivating it on the old PC (there will be an option in the software to do this) to free up the licence for use on the new PC. In the event the old machine doesnt work anymore you can call them up and get them to clear your activation count.

Unfortunately since each bit of software has its own licence terms its hard for anyone to give a precise answer. The only way to be sure is to read the licence agreement.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some consumer products allow multiple installations, but business software (which is what I was training IT professionals on) almost certainly does not.

The OP doesn't specify exactly what software he has, but most 'video editing, photo manipulation and audio editing suites' would most likely be one installation per licence.

Is that clear enough?

The reply above is clear, your original post wasn't.
    Is that clear enough ? :D
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the one advantage of the App Store (or even cloud based apps) model. Purchases tend to be tied to an account rather then a particular machine. Of course they do occasionally still put limits on the number of allowed installs. eg the standard Office 365 is allowed to be installed on 5 I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes that's one installation but you can usually move it to another PC as long as it's uninstalled from the first one. Some of the software I use allows the key to be on a memory card that you can then move between PCs as you wish, this is much better than the software key that you have to uninstall then rei-install though the licence for that is usually a bit more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Yes that's one installation but you can usually move it to another PC as long as it's uninstalled from the first one. Some of the software I use allows the key to be on a memory card that you can then move between PCs as you wish, this is much better than the software key that you have to uninstall then rei-install though the licence for that is usually a bit more.

The OP is asking if he can run the software on his old PC and the new one at the same time, so the answer is still 'probably not'.

The idea of installing software on a memory card (USB stick?) is a poor one. The read performance of such cards is slow, and a most software requires that is be properly installed in order to make changes to the registry etc.
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP is asking if he can run the software on his old PC and the new one at the same time, so the answer is still 'probably not'.

Depends on how you defend 'run', most software allows you to install it on more than one machine but you're only licensed for one use at a time, where use if the app running.

Most software licensing is based on usage which is not the same as installing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The idea of installing software on a memory card (USB stick?) is a poor one. The read performance of such cards is slow, and a most software requires that is be properly installed in order to make changes to the registry etc.

Who said anything about installing software on a memory card? The memory card is is just used as a dongle to authenticate the software so that it can only run on the machine that the card is plugged into even though it can be installed on many.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    once you run your video editing software on your new computer you wont want to use it on your 6 year old computer anyway.

your new computer is going to be literally 10x faster.

installing the software on a memory card is ridiculous, though i don't think that is what was meant.

on the wider issue there are a couple of categories.

1 - things that can be installed on more than one computer eg some versions of office
    2 - things that can not be installed on more than one computer technically or legally.
    3 - things that can't be legally installed on more than one computer but will work technically.

if the software is older there may be more of it in section 3 than you think. even with current adobe stuff if you enter a valid key and block the app with your firewall it will work just fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah that was the original question, however, i'm shocked at it not neccessarily being a 'given' that one can use it solely on a new computer when one's current one reaches the end of it's days.

So every time one purchases a new computer you also have to throw away and re-purchase tons of expensive software programs?

Ones i can think of off the top of my head i have are

Magix Movie Edit Pro 15
    Magix Music Studio 12 Deluxe
    Guitar Pro 5
    Paint Shop Pro

Guess i'm going to have to track down the installation cd's and booklets etc. I might check out the FAQ's on their sites first, but they aren't the current editions of these programs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    3 - things that can't be legally installed on more than one computer but will work technically.

if the software is older there may be more of it in section 3 than you think. even with current adobe stuff if you enter a valid key and block the app with your firewall it will work just fine.

Yeah i'm not fussed about uploading any extra fluffy bits and pieces that have been added over the years. So i have no need for it to contact their website.

It then depends if they have some sort of block coded in to prevent the programme if it can't do an E.T> (yep call home lol).

My video, audio and photo editing suites all perform to my needs as they stand. Therefore, as i say i wouldn't be fussed if they can't call home, so long as they still operate.
    Forum Member
    Yeah i'm not fussed about uploading any extra fluffy bits and pieces that have been added over the years. So i have no need for it to contact their website.

It then depends if they have some sort of block coded in to prevent the programme if it can't do an E.T> (yep call home lol).

My video, audio and photo editing suites all perform to my needs as they stand. Therefore, as i say i wouldn't be fussed if they can't call home, so long as they still operate.

it really depends on the software. a lot of commercial software does not need to contact an activation server, a lot does.

even less needs to be deactivated.
    Forum Member
    Yeah that was the original question, however, i'm shocked at it not neccessarily being a 'given' that one can use it solely on a new computer when one's current one reaches the end of it's days.

So every time one purchases a new computer you also have to throw away and re-purchase tons of expensive software programs?

Ones i can think of off the top of my head i have are

Magix Movie Edit Pro 15
    Magix Music Studio 12 Deluxe
    Guitar Pro 5
    Paint Shop Pro

Guess i'm going to have to track down the installation cd's and booklets etc. I might check out the FAQ's on their sites first, but they aren't the current editions of these programs.

most if not all software can be installed on more than one computer. just not at the same time. it's not clear to me why you think there is anything wrong with that. you do not have to repurchase everytime you buy a new computer.

installation cds will probably not be necessary. you can download the installer.

paintshop pro as an example. when you put in your key it validates it online. but after that it does not need to check. so i would imagine that being an example of something you could firewall block on the old computer and reinstall on the other. if it wont activate because the key is already in use you have the option to do it by phone, you would have to explain that your old computer died.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, you misunderstand. The issue is that you can't run software on two PCs at the same time.

You should be able to move software from one PC to another legitimately. The only exception is some 'OEM' licensed software which is tied to the PC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should be able to move software from one PC to another legitimately. The only exception is some 'OEM' licensed software which is tied to the PC.

Bunch of thanks to everyone so far i've been able to pick up the likely variances and i guess there's only one way to find out..............FIGHT!.......oops that a tv show solution. Ok i mean by looking up any original info i can find on the licensing conditions and simply trying to installl on the new computer.

Mention of OEM reminds me that on my original computer it came installed with CyberLink PowerDVD etc, i guess that's the sort of valuable application i am sorely going to miss as i'm guessing that is OEM linked?

Incidentally, whilst copying my documents and everything else to an external hard drive (and then on to the new computer - yes i know not the speediest way to go about it, but i want a back-up in place away from my failing PC and not just on my new one) i notice i have the folder 'Program Files' which is many Gigabytes in size. Why can't i just copy and transfer that to the new computer? would that not make every program runnable???.

Can i at least with something free, like Open Office, copy the program file folder and plonk it on to my new computer? I have many spreadsheets and documents that i value and are important and i'd like to confirm that Open Office works on my new computer (which is 64 Bit compared to my present 32 Bit)

I prefer to install programs afresh using the installation disk so as to weed out any little faults that may have formed over time in their running. Albeit a little annoying with the odd programme as ones favoured customized settings can be many.

One programme/application (i never know the difference) is DigiGuide a massive tv guide. Within their FAQ they mention that one has to uninstall and install anew in the new computer, and it IS IMPOSSIBLE to run in both.

Some programs i would like to run in both until my present computer does 'suddenly' die.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't just copy your program files folder across for a few reasons. When installing, many programs dump info in more than one place as well as affect registry settings, for instance. That's as technical as I get at this time of night.

Your Open Office stuff is safe. Open Office will be available for your new machine. But you should probably be using Libre Office, anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    You can't just copy your program files folder across for a few reasons. When installing, many programs dump info in more than one place as well as affect registry settings, for instance. That's as technical as I get at this time of night.

Your Open Office stuff is safe. Open Office will be available for your new machine. But you should probably be using Libre Office, anyway.

Ouch possible danger alerted, glad i popped back for one last check. I was just about to think about testing a programme or two by copy and pasting into the new computer. Any talk of Registry changes spooks me lol. The most i'll do then is see what happens when i insert the installation discs.

Yeah i forgot all about Libre, i've only held back from switching up to now because of the amount of important spreadsheets and documents i have written and coded/formulated in Open Office. I didn't want to risk corruptng them by transferring them to Libre.

Thank you sincerly for both points you mentioned.