BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    If you can't see that two women deceived into having relationships with former police officers isn't a story then I'm slightly worried. By all means if you don't want to listen to it then don't, but it's undoubtedly an important story.

I missed the criticism of Inverdale. It probably says a lot that I did, because it doesn't take up 75% of the posts on this thread.

My concern is that any criticisms of Derbyshire inevitably complain about her talking about women's issues and the outrageous comments about 'man-hating Victoria spinning the women as victims' earlier in the thread. What, you mean the women who were deceived into a relationship by an undercover cop. Yeah, they sound like they might just be victims to me, doesn't sound like much spin's required there.

The complaints regarding Derbyshire go on about her gender, or the gender of the people involved in the programme or the topic. That's why, while I normally dodge the words 'sexism' and 'misogny' as I believe they're overused, I fear some of the comments veer a bit close to those words.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Funny that when men get duped by women and there are plenty of male politicians who have had their pillow talk splashed all over the media they get shown no sympathy.

Vince Cable got caught out by a couple of giggling female hacks and the media just called him a sad old man for falling for a bit of female attention and I bet there have been plenty of female undercover officers who have had affairs with men, it's just men never run to the press to sell their story.

Well we live in a world of unfairness.

If a guy s***s around then he's a stud. If a girl does it she's seen as a slapper.

I should point out this is not an 'anti-men' comment, before anyone starts. (I am male for a start) Both genders do it. It has more to do with preconceptions as to how people should behave rather than misogyny.

I'd also suggest giving birth to an undercover cop's child is slightly worse than Vince saying stuff he shouldn't be saying in public when he's got a very important decision to make in which he should play an impartial role.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    Still droning on at 10.55.

'All people who have affairs with married people tell lies'

Silence from Derbyshire

Why is that so important? What do you expect her to say?

As long as someone's personal life doesn't affect their work then I don't see the need for the constant personal attacks that some people make towards certain presenters. I'm speaking generally btw and not at Lone drinker in particular.

I understand this is a radio forum so people are going to pass comment on the fact they find the programmes boring and repetative but why listen. I happen to find this forum boring and repetative and disagree with most criticism of VD but then I keep coming back (as a previous poster said).

Victoria is not there to give her personal views she's there to host a radio show and her job is to put both sides of an argument. I'm sure with most shows on 5 live if the presenter was to give their personal view on a debate the output would sound vastly different.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw some figures yesterday which were part of a report to Ofcom regarding listening figures, (not sure whether it was about DAB or FM) There were about 7 stations listed and 5live came bottom. Even Heart and some other rubbish commercial stations came above 5live. I can't find the link now but if I find it I'll post it. I rather think LBC was in the chart so they must have been above 5live as they were 7th out of 7

Latest RAJAR figures:

http://www.rajar.co.uk/listening/quarterly_listening.php

The Heart and Capital networks get more listeners than Five Live. Is that so suprising given the content of Five Live.

There is a load of whinging on here. Why do you listen to the bloody station if you don't like it. I love Five Live and Radio 4. Not all of it of course. But guess what - I don't listen to the stuff I don't like.
  • SJM978SJM978 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    If you can't see that two women deceived into having relationships with former police officers isn't a story then I'm slightly worried. By all means if you don't want to listen to it then don't, but it's undoubtedly an important story.

I missed the criticism of Inverdale. It probably says a lot that I did, because it doesn't take up 75% of the posts on this thread.

My concern is that any criticisms of Derbyshire inevitably complain about her talking about women's issues and the outrageous comments about 'man-hating Victoria spinning the women as victims' earlier in the thread. What, you mean the women who were deceived into a relationship by an undercover cop. Yeah, they sound like they might just be victims to me, doesn't sound like much spin's required there.

The complaints regarding Derbyshire go on about her gender, or the gender of the people involved in the programme or the topic. That's why, while I normally dodge the words 'sexism' and 'misogny' as I believe they're overused, I fear some of the comments veer a bit close to those words.

My main criticism of Victoria Derbyshire isn't that she discusses women's issues, but that men's issues (perhaps with the exception of false rape accusation) hardly ever get mentioned at all. But in fact I don't mind VD too much. Yes the programme can be downbeat at times, but I don't particularly mind her as a presenter, and I agree some of the flack she gets is too personal at times.

For me there are more irritating presenters on 5 Live, namely Colin Murray, John Inverdale, Ian Payne, Nicky Campbell and Anna Foster. Oh, and a dishonourable mention to John Hunt, who is possibly the worst sports commentator on radio.
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone described as a Radio 5 Luvvie, for the record the only daytime show on the station I listen to regularly is Drive Time. I am either at work, listening to Ken Bruce, Rob Cowan or my local BBC service.

This is why I say that if you find a particular presenter a pain in the proverbial you shouldn't listen.

If however you are on a daily basis going to listen across the output you should acknowledge when you hear items that do interest you. I mentioned two such instances in another post. One was the coverage of the spending review and the other was Fogarty's visit to Syrian Refugee camps on which from the usual suspects there was silence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or even Luvvie
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    As someone described as a Radio 5 Luvvie, for the record the only daytime show on the station I listen to regularly is Drive Time. I am either at work, listening to Ken Bruce, Rob Cowan or my local BBC service..

If you only listen to Drive why bother keep coming on here defending VD and criticising those who say anything negative about her if you haven’t even listened yourself?
    If however you are on a daily basis going to listen across the output you should acknowledge when you hear items that do interest you. I mentioned two such instances in another post. One was the coverage of the spending review and the other was Fogarty's visit to Syrian Refugee camps on which from the usual suspects there was silence.

As I said in my reply (which has for some reason been removed) to your post asking why nobody was complementing 5 live’s coverage of the spending review – what do you expect a running commentary of what we have been listening to? It was just a live feed and then 20 minutes or so of analysis after, just the basics of what a ‘news’ station should be doing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    Page 96 of the 5 Live forum - non-stop whining with a bit of casual sexism (at best) querying the motives of a woman who was conned by a bloke thrown into the mix. Lovely.

We'd have passed the 100 mark if a whole load of posts hadn't been deleted.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny that when men get duped by women and there are plenty of male politicians who have had their pillow talk splashed all over the media they get shown no sympathy.

Vince Cable got caught out by a couple of giggling female hacks and the media just called him a sad old man for falling for a bit of female attention and I bet there have been plenty of female undercover officers who have had affairs with men, it's just men never run to the press to sell their story.
    Really? Colin Stagg originally accused of the murder of Rachel Nickell in 1992 was honey-trapped by undercover cop 'Lizzie James' who tried to frame him. I seem to recall him 'running' to the press to tell his side of the story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Streaky

My defence of Victoria is based on the principle that just because she isn't my daily listen there are others who do tune in and appreciate the subjects she discusses. It's inevitable that a news and current affairs station will carry items that interest some more than others.

My most irritating presenter is Danny Baker but again there are I know loads of folk who disagree with me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you've been following Wimbledon it appears that George "@georgeyboy" Riley has become georgeytoyboy.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Really? Colin Stagg originally accused of the murder of Rachel Nickell in 1992 was honey-trapped by undercover cop 'Lizzie James' who tried to frame him. I seem to recall him 'running' to the press to tell his side of the story.

Stagg had good cause to go to the media there is a hell of a difference between what happened to him and these women who I maintain are just after a big pay out.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone described as a Radio 5 Luvvie, for the record the only daytime show on the station I listen to regularly is Drive Time. I am either at work, listening to Ken Bruce, Rob Cowan or my local BBC service.

This is why I say that if you find a particular presenter a pain in the proverbial you shouldn't listen.

Like streaky my posts were removed as I believe yours were too Phil & we did comment on your views on fogerty & the spending review but they disappeared......

I have no idea why still honestly :( _ but monitoring the thread I think you like me have been silent since as we were banned....ho hum.......

To other posters bemoaning the why listen and negative aspects here....you should try some of the others...LBC or talksport it's mild here....

However common ground between,us Phil _I cannot bear Danny baker either & linsey hipgrave even less....maybe as I don't like soccer at all but even so I really find it total drivel :)
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the first time in along while I tuned into 5live hoping to hear some build up to the days Wimbledon action and all I got was John Inverdale with some ' feature ' called ' What's in the Bag ? '.Even that Helen Skelton got in on the act asking spectators what was in their handbag ? Imagine my surprise when Helen Skelton revealed that she carries a hard boiled egg around in her bag.All extremely fascinating stuff I must say , being a fly on the wall in 5live editorial meetings one can only imagine..

Ed.....' Right chaps any good idea's for SW19 sports coverage ? '

Ambitious employee ......' Yes I have one sir , what about a feature asking spectators whats in their bag ? '

Ed......' Jolly good show whatsyourname.With input like that, you are born to be controller of 5live ! '
  • Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Foggitty's completely redundant at Wimbledon. She clearly knows damn all about tennis, so her conversations with commentators and players are very limited. All she does is sum up and cut to the travel and news which could easily be done by one of the other presenters. Paid to watch tennis - nice work if you can get it.

Yes totally agree - i think it is the case that if they have to cover a serious news story she is there. It is even crueller getting her to follow a master broadcaster like Inverdale as it makes her look even more out of her depth. I am afraid she has never been the same since finishing the Breakfast Show.
  • Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    SJM978 wrote: »
    My main criticism of Victoria Derbyshire isn't that she discusses women's issues, but that men's issues (perhaps with the exception of false rape accusation) hardly ever get mentioned at all. But in fact I don't mind VD too much. Yes the programme can be downbeat at times, but I don't particularly mind her as a presenter, and I agree some of the flack she gets is too personal at times.

For me there are more irritating presenters on 5 Live, namely Colin Murray, John Inverdale, Ian Payne, Nicky Campbell and Anna Foster. Oh, and a dishonourable mention to John Hunt, who is possibly the worst sports commentator on radio.

I think we all agree with your somewhat mild criticisms of the Derbyshire programme - most of us on this forum would be much harder though. Cannot agree with the comments on Inverdale, Payne and Campbell as they and their likes are carrying the station. I am no racing fan but for me Hunt does the job very well.
  • didasdidas Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Yes totally agree - i think it is the case that if they have to cover a serious news story she is there. It is even crueller getting her to follow a master broadcaster like Inverdale as it makes her look even more out of her depth. I am afraid she has never been the same since finishing the Breakfast Show.

Inverdale is annoying! Twee, fussy, scoop-searching with a lack of content, but all about "the event". I can barely listen.
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you've been following Wimbledon it appears that George "@georgeyboy" Riley has become georgeytoyboy.

I'm sick of seeing him on TV.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amusing Wimbledon coverage on Up All Night :D

Oops reporter re Nelson Mandela saying 27 years is nearly two decades! :o:D
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    For the first time in along while I tuned into 5live hoping to hear some build up to the days Wimbledon action and all I got was John Inverdale with some ' feature ' called ' What's in the Bag ? '.Even that Helen Skelton got in on the act asking spectators what was in their handbag ? Imagine my surprise when Helen Skelton revealed that she carries a hard boiled egg around in her bag.All extremely fascinating stuff I must say , being a fly on the wall in 5live editorial meetings one can only imagine..

Ed.....' Right chaps any good idea's for SW19 sports coverage ? '

Ambitious employee ......' Yes I have one sir , what about a feature asking spectators whats in their bag ? '

Ed......' Jolly good show whatsyourname.With input like that, you are born to be controller of 5live ! '

I disagree. I am not remotely interested in sport. This piece was intended as a light bit of fun and made Wimbledon approachable and gave an insight into the atmosphere. There is more that enough coverage of all the grunting and slipping if that is what floats your boat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member

My most irritating presenter is Danny Baker but again there are I know loads of folk who disagree with me.

Quite true, his dreadful local DJ banter just doesnt translate UK wide.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    franchise wrote: »
    I'm sick of seeing him on TV.

He must have something about him. Logan liked to keep him in the studio for the whole two hours and made him co-presenter.
    Of course, she was out of his league and married (but that doesn't matter in 5live).
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    chinchin wrote: »
    I disagree. I am not remotely interested in sport. This piece was intended as a light bit of fun and made Wimbledon approachable and gave an insight into the atmosphere. There is more that enough coverage of all the grunting and slipping if that is what floats your boat.

Inverdale is an excellent broadcaster and I agree about him making major sport events interesting and approachable. When he covers the golf and horses on 5 live it is always a good listen despite me not being a follower of these sports.

I agree the What's in Your Bag was just a short light hearted feature giving a break from the commentary, much like the Call my Bluff he does with horse names, harmless features making it more listenable for the non sport obsessive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice try 5live, putting a webcam in Derbyshire's alternative (i.e. usual) studio. You're not fooling anyone - we all know what the Salford studio looks like (plus the fact that Derbyshire left the ITV London studios not much more than an hour ago).
This discussion has been closed.