Liz Jones - YOU magazine (Part 4)

Comments

• sunstonesunstone Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she really loved animals she wouldn't have kept poor old Squeaky in terrible pain for weeks before having him put down, just because she'd have been bereft without him.

Selfish and cruel woman. :mad:

I know I always agree with you about LJ.However when my cat was at the end of her life the two vets in the surgery disagreed.
    She had her front paw amputated and was recovering well,then lost control of her back legs but seemed happy.One vet taught me how to empty her bladder and bowels and she was still super purry.I found after a while she was struggling to eat and losing weight so I made that decision.Perhaps I should have done it before but the vet seemed so confident that she was happy.
    In the meantime ( while she had been indoors for about 6 months) ,my neighbour accused me of her pooing in his garden .Needless to say we do not speak now:mad:

( cor, I can sound just like LJ sometimes,but it's true.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a whining misery. Going on about how her social life is not the same as it was when she was 16. And listing each and every person in her wedding photo and what they said last time she met them.

Liz at yor age all your friends are dead.

The few the are hanging on in High Dependency Units in geriatric hospitals probably don't want every minute detail of their social interactions appearing in some downmarket paper.

But still, can't complain, getting paid good money for vacuous twaddle about just existing.
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sunstone wrote: »
    I know I always agree with you about LJ.However when my cat was at the end of her life the two vets in the surgery disagreed.
    She had her front paw amputated and was recovering well,then lost control of her back legs but seemed happy.One vet taught me how to empty her bladder and bowels and she was still super purry.I found after a while she was struggling to eat and losing weight so I made that decision.Perhaps I should have done it before but the vet seemed so confident that she was happy.
    In the meantime ( while she had been indoors for about 6 months) ,my neighbour accused me of her pooing in his garden .Needless to say we do not speak now:mad:

( cor, I can sound just like LJ sometimes,but it's true.)

My own cat had cancer with a growth the size of a grapefruit and not really able to be saved, much like poor old Squeaky Jones. There's a deal of difference between a cat with three paws that can still have a reasonable quality of life and one who has a terminal illness and is in immense pain.

Circumstances alter cases and all that. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My own cat had cancer with a growth the size of a grapefruit and not really able to be saved, much like poor old Squeaky Jones. There's a deal of difference between a cat with three paws that can still have a reasonable quality of life and one who has a terminal illness and is in immense pain.

Circumstances alter cases and all that. :)

I know sorry,I have terminal guilt that I didn't listen to the other vet,They were in the same practice so I went with the hopeful one.I am sorry for your cat too,we love them so much.:cry:
    I wanted her to pass away gently of old age,but really I was being cruel when she could only drink from my hand.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The saddest thing was when she was in my arms and peed.Then the vet took her away and husband and I walked home in tears carrying her basket.
    I want to adopt another cat but not an elderly one or kitten.
    I had her for 19 years,so she was with me most of my adult life.and judged all my boyfriends before I married!;)
  • LilaethLilaeth Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fairness wrote: »
    What a whining misery. Going on about how her social life is not the same as it was when she was 16. And listing each and every person in her wedding photo and what they said last time she met them.

Liz at yor age all your friends are dead.

The few the are hanging on in High Dependency Units in geriatric hospitals probably don't want every minute detail of their social interactions appearing in some downmarket paper.

But still, can't complain, getting paid good money for vacuous twaddle about just existing.

No they're all pretending they're dead in the hope that she'll stop txting and emailing them! ;)
  • FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's very telling that she is one of ?seven or eight? children, and not one of them even sent her a Christmas card, or rang to say hi. Blood is supposed to be thicker than water, I have family members I'm not too fond of but at least I send them a card. I find it really difficult to get my head around how she can't possibly consider herself to blame for her lack of friendships or people who give a toss about her - even having sat and listed all the reasons why she's totally unlikeable.
  • coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fatsia wrote: »
    I think it's very telling that she is one of ?seven or eight? children, and not one of them even sent her a Christmas card, or rang to say hi. Blood is supposed to be thicker than water, I have family members I'm not too fond of but at least I send them a card. I find it really difficult to get my head around how she can't possibly consider herself to blame for her lack of friendships or people who give a toss about her - even having sat and listed all the reasons why she's totally unlikeable.

The trouble with people like her is that she's never at fault but everyone else is, like those people who gleefully dish out the insults but can't take them themselves. Tiresome, vacuous individuals.
    On the subject of pet cats, I had one 30 odd years ago, called Fred. He was only a couple of years old when he contracted cat leukaemia and the vet told us the kindest thing would be to have him put down. Poor little Fred, even on his last day with us, he was going to his cat litter to be sick and then coming to me for a cuddle; I still weep when I remember this. I cried solidly for two days after he went, but as I was standing at the sink, washing up, I saw him running across the room towards me in the kitchen, then he vanished. I know lots of people don't believe in ghosts, but I think he came to say goodbye to me properly, as he looked as fit and well as he had done before his illness. I have much treasured photos of him.
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getting paid good money for vacuous twaddle about just existing.

Well said! That phrase perfectly sums up the current trend for people like LJ who simply serve up (repeatedly) this awful, self-indulgent self-obsessing about mundane stuff that the rest of us simply get on with! It's becoming more and more widespread, and it all feeds off anything that happens to be going on in the world. ....So, the newspapers report a story about, say, the importance of aunts, and the next day you can be sure the usual suspects will pop up with a couple of thousand words about "my life as an aunt" or whatever. It's just so dull and repetitive!
    The trouble with people like her is that she's never at fault but everyone else is, like those people who gleefully dish out the insults but can't take them themselves. Tiresome, vacuous individuals.

It's breathtaking, isn't it? Even when she's pouring out the self-pitying whingeing about all these friends who have deserted her, it never once occurs to her to stop and wonder whether the common denominator might, actually, be right there in the mirror. Instead, she just blames everyone else and adds them to her grievance list, to be endlessly slagged off in print and have their private business made public, along with a regular inventory of the expensive presents she's bought them. Almost every whinge she writes includes the phrase "...even though I bought him/her a handbag/a cottage/a record deck/knitwear//an iPod/etc", which speaks volumes about her priorities.

But it's the stuff about her family that is the most offensive. Both the overt insensitive references and the snide, subtle digs. (Does anyone remember that time she said something like "As you all enjoy your weekends with your non-greedy families"....anyone else think that sounded like a veiled dig there?) I can't help wondering how her sisters feel, especially the sister she's been writing about recently in more and more detail (name, age, illnesses, alcohol problems) and giving away more and more personal stuff.

How can someone be so high in self-importance and self-obsession, yet totally lacking in self-awareness? How can anyone swan through life hurting and upsetting people, shouting at receptionists, offending shop assistants, alienating neighbours and antagonising motorists, yet remained absolutely convinced that if anyone dislikes her it's their problem, not hers?

ETA: I just found the "non-greedy family" comment I was thinking of above. It was the first line of a column: "I am feeling a bit stressed. ‘No change there!!’ I hear you chorusing over your uncomplicated Sunday brunch with your loving, non-greedy family."
    From this column: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2232264/Liz-Jones-In-I-snoop-ex.html Did anyone else get that feeling about the "greedy" reference? It seemed an odd phrase to use unless there was something loaded behind it, especially as this first paragraph goes on to refer to no less than THREE things* she has bought for her family members (*iPod, laptop and cottage!) A perfect example of exactly what we've all been talking about: the usual "buy expensive presents for people and then go on and on about it in print" routine.
  • coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After wading through LJ's tripe my reward is reading the posts that follow it, as most of them are much more amusing than the drivel she thinks passes for Columnist of the Year material. However, it's alarming that some posters offer her sage advice and give it the 'You go, girl' guff. They also get on high horses and tell others off for rightfully pointing out her many blatant lies and inconsistencies. Are these people for real? One even suggested that everything she 'writes' is tongue in cheek and we should get over ourselves. So that person must be suggesting that it's just light-hearted banter she spews about her ailing mother, alcoholic sister, grasping nephews, fat, bloated ex-husband, etc.; the list could go on and on. Yeah, let's all laugh along at her stories of death and illness. Or are they saying, 'Oh, you sillies. You know none of it's true.' Her supporters seem to want it all ways. Whilst LJ is busy biting her thumb at all us deeply jealous people (her words), raking in obscene amounts of money for nothing, there seem to be others who think this 'nice, generous, hard-working paragon of virtue' deserves symphathy. B*****ks!
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sunstone wrote: »
    The saddest thing was when she was in my arms and peed.Then the vet took her away and husband and I walked home in tears carrying her basket.
    I want to adopt another cat but not an elderly one or kitten.
    I had her for 19 years,so she was with me most of my adult life.and judged all my boyfriends before I married!;)

Oh do please consider adopting one again when you feel ready - there are so many cats at our local shelter, and also at the Cat Action Trust (and I'm sure in the UK too) but as you know, often the first thing people think of is getting a 'sweet' kitten rather than an adult cat. However, I didn't want the 'kitten stage' thing (who needs all that litter training?!) but we did want a cat... and ended up adopting two 6 year old brothers (whose owner had had to give them up when she was put in sheltered housing). And then last year, two years after the boys, we adopted a young female stray they guessed was about a year old (we wanted a young female so our two boys didn't feel threatened). So we went from no cats to three cats in three years, but have no regrets, and if my children had their way we'd have another one! (But insurance and vets fees do have to be considered otherwise it's not fair on the cat :()

But I draw the line at the cats being on the bed during 'intimate moments', much less bowls of cat food on the bed - and more than that, prawns? - at the same time! As, I'm sure, most right-thinking people would! (I don't even like the children taking cat treats upstairs to feed them in case they end up not being eaten and festering somewhere!) And yet LJ feels sorry for herself and confused and wonders why she 'didn't get any'? I read it in complete and utter disbelief!

Ok, if it's entirely fictional I can accept that, but it's not even sanely fictional - it's completely and utterly devoid of any sanity or clarity of thought whatsoever... and that, rather worryingly, makes me wonder if there is actually some basis in fact in there somewhere (with the animals on the bed, if not with the FRS in it with her ;))

The woman is bonkers - she asks questions that anyone with one brain cell could answer when it comes to why no one likes her or why she has no friends or family who will speak to her... although I notice we do go from "I've got no friends" to "my friend x, y or z came to stay/went out for a meal with me/had coffee with me" etc in the blink of an eye, so who knows what the real truth is? Certainly if only half of it is true LJ is not someone you'd be rushing to entertain as a busom buddy!

No one's saying people can't be kind to animals or rescue them, but unless you can care for them adequately and afford the vet bills etc then you are just as guilty of abusing them as those who didn't look after them to start with. A lesson LJ, if she's even telling half the truth about her struggles to provide what her menagerie needs, would do well to learn before she inflicts herself on any more waifs and strays!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, if it's entirely fictional I can accept that, but it's not even sanely fictional - it's completely and utterly devoid of any sanity or clarity of thought whatsoever... and that, rather worryingly, makes me wonder if there is actually some basis in fact in there somewhere (with the animals on the bed, if not with the FRS in it with her ;))

QUOTE]

I always get the feeling there are certain things which are definitely true--the stories she tells over and over again, literally dozens of times, with all the details exactly intact every time. .....And then there are the stories that she retells over and over again, but with details wildly varying from one telling to the other. And then there are the things she writes that completely contradict each other (like being simultaneously single and attached, sometimes within the same issue, or revelling in the freedom of being single at Christmas while at the same time bemoaning the desperate loneliness and misery of being alone at Christmas, while somehow also being in a relationship with a rock star!)

...And don't get me started on the frankly laughable and ludicrously unconvincing dialogue of the RS, the only rock star in the universe who speaks in the quaint antiquated style of an elderly maiden aunt and uses phrases like "Darling girl" and cuckold"! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    double post, sorry!
  • Becky SharpeBecky Sharpe Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, we've been discussing vile journos who persist in using friends and family as column fodder? Well....In this case, a girl's best friend most certainly isn't her mother...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2259878/My-14-year-old-shouldnt-dress-like-But-doesnt-online-bullies-right-torment-SHONA-SIBARY-alarming-new-trend-****-shaming.html The DM's fee may cover about thirty mins of the kids' public school fees, but imho the real cost to this family is somewhat higher :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, we've been discussing vile journos who persist in using friends and family as column fodder? Well....In this case, a girl's best friend most certainly isn't her mother...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2259878/My-14-year-old-shouldnt-dress-like-But-doesnt-online-bullies-right-torment-SHONA-SIBARY-alarming-new-trend-****-shaming.html The DM's fee may cover about thirty mins of the kids' public school fees, but imho the real cost to this family is somewhat higher :(

Vile! Vile! Vile!

Facebook entries will fade, but in 5, 10, 20 years time anyone in the world will be able to google her daughters name and still find the story. This Daily Fail has even published a photo of the 14 years old daughter in skimpy clothing.

What the moron mother fails to understand is that while comments like ‘****’, ‘tart with no self-respect’, and "that her parents must be ashamed to have a daughter who ‘looked like a prostitute’" are strong and offensive, there is a difference between posting them once in relation to a single incident, and abusive comments day in day out.

Thanks to her mother those comments are being seen by thousands of readers, and will be returned by search engines when pervs search for years to come. Thanks Mum.
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    cathrin wrote: »
    Well said! That phrase perfectly sums up the current trend for people like LJ who simply serve up (repeatedly) this awful, self-indulgent self-obsessing about mundane stuff that the rest of us simply get on with! It's becoming more and more widespread, and it all feeds off anything that happens to be going on in the world. ....So, the newspapers report a story about, say, the importance of aunts, and the next day you can be sure the usual suspects will pop up with a couple of thousand words about "my life as an aunt" or whatever. It's just so dull and repetitive!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2258786/Amanda-Platell-children--helping-niece-cope-pressures-growing-greatest-joy.html

:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ha so predictable as usual :D ( well done Catrin).
    DM editors sit around wondering which femele childless columnist they can pass off as a caring loving Auntie.
    Of course LJ and JSP were out,I suspect Sam Brick may have been a possible,but if she has nieces they may be too much competition beautywise. So the buck stopped at Plattell.:p

As for Sibary,that article is appalling.I don't care if her daughter said it was OK ,she is 14 fgs.The woman is sick:mad::mad:

One thing about LJ and the 16 cats.
    Didn't she minesweep the feral cats from Somerset and take them with her? ( cruel )
    These cats would be neither house trained or neutered surely? So she has the in her bedroom? WTF:eek::eek:

Maybe I got that wrong ,but I thought only a couple were actual pets?:confused:

eta. I am not getting how Aunt Mandy gets to be godmother without attending the christening?odd if possible:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She rounded up feral cats and took them with her? How could she be sure they really were feral? Cats are notorious for going walkabout and coming home 6 months later. Am I right in thinking she is London based? So she took country cats to a built up city.
  • Sarah SoreenSarah Soreen Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member

I was appalled by that article. Notice the Mail wimped out of having comments on it. Stupid woman. What kind of parent whines about a daughter being bullied whilst having her scantily clad photo on an International News website? Breathtaking stupidity. She should hang her head in shame.

Some of these gormless women journalists need to give their heads a shake :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She rounded up feral cats and took them with her? How could she be sure they really were feral? Cats are notorious for going walkabout and coming home 6 months later. Am I right in thinking she is London based? So she took country cats to a built up city.

That was how I read the article where she was moving house.I forget now but I think she put them all in a cage or something.:confused:She Is apparently renting another rural retreat now but in N.Yorks.so I think they are there.
    It never occurred to me that any of the feral farm cats might be someone's family pet caught up in the masses though!:eek::cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need more to be a TV role model than bad clothes, Clare

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2261582/LIZ-JONES-You-need-TV-role-model-bad-clothes-Clare.html

She dislikes her because of horse racing.
  • Sarah SoreenSarah Soreen Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    RacerWelsh wrote: »
    You need more to be a TV role model than bad clothes, Clare

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2261582/LIZ-JONES-You-need-TV-role-model-bad-clothes-Clare.html

She dislikes her because of horse racing.

Dreadful article. Not surprisingly my comments havent been published on it, nor on her Batshit diary entry today either. On a positive note, she is getting a good kicking on Twitter for that spiteful, disgraceful diatribe.
  • elven62elven62 Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    It's been a while since I visited this thread - I just can't summon up the energy to comment on LJ's drivel much these days. I dont buy the DM and nowadays only the MoS occasionally so I'm rarely exposed to her insane ramblings anyway.

However this piece about Claire Balding is just unbelievable and makes me mad. CB comes across as a thoroughly decent person with talent who endears herself to viewers because she is enthusiastic, knowledgable and personable. Liz wouldn't appreciate any of those attributes as she displays none of them herself. And I see she is still pedalling all her rock star fantasies in the Diary and rehashing the same tired old stories. Isn't the MoS editor bored by now?

And then I read above she got Columnist of Year!! Who were her competitors? I feel sorry for decent journalists out there if this bitter twisted pathetic excuse for a writer got an award ahead of them. I'd give up writing if I thought LJ's standard was what you had to aspire to!

I think this probably means I'm giving up the Mail completely so she has probably done me a favour...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I saw this last week and to say my jaw hit the floor would be an understatement. My daughter's only 3 and a half but I can tell you right now there is no way in hell she'd be leaving my house dressed that like. How the stupid mother thought that outfit was in any appropriate defies belief. Had no sympathy for mum but plenty for daughter who isn't be given moral guidance in self respect!!
  • Becky SharpeBecky Sharpe Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stella McCartney:
    Now, don’t feel this critique is sour grapes because she relegated me to a balcony for her gala show prior to last summer’s Olympics, with six almonds to chew on while the rest of the world’s fashion press joined her and the likes of Rihanna for a slap-up dinner and dancing.
    Claire Balding:
    Anyhow, I set off to interview La Balding, having read her wretched tome. However, on the way to meet her I was informed that she had banned me from doing the interview because I had once criticised her in print over an item she presented on The One Show about horses that served in the First World War.
    NB: not a peep about fellow racing reporter John McCririck, but then he would probably retaliate in gratifyingly rude fashion :p