Beckham to donate salary to charity

Comments

• The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    Because by doing this he's raising the awareness of the charity. Why else do charities try to have a famous face linked? Elton John doesn't get ripped to pieces for doing so much for AIDS awareness does he?

What charity is it in this instance? Not sure that's been made clear.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What charity is it in this instance? Not sure that's been made clear.

A few of us were saying the same thing last night. One suggestion was that it is PSG's own foundation charity, whoever they are. You'd have thought he could have least named exactly where this money is going, however that may have taken some of the limelight away from him :rolleyes:
  • JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because by doing this he's raising the awareness of the charity. Why else do charities try to have a famous face linked?

So charities don't advertise and raise awareness about themselves then? I don't know about France, but here I constantly see many various different types of charities advertised everywhere.
  • Becky SharpeBecky Sharpe Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this gesture allows Becks to get a knighthood, I bet a grin will be permanently plastered all over Victoria's face, which will be a change. :D
    B][I]bib[/I][/B Steady on, now, Salty :D:D:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    A few of us were saying the same thing last night. One suggestion was that it is PSG's own foundation charity, whoever they are. You'd have thought he could have least named exactly where this money is going, however that may have taken some of the limelight away from him :rolleyes:

We know it's a children's charity - but that's it. No other publicity has been forthcoming.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicola_T wrote: »

All Barcelona players donate 10% of their salaries. Don't hear them going on about it, do you?

I hope the likes of Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney etc. feel something when they read that :(

I has no idea they did that, so it doesn't get much publicity
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Jocolah wrote: »
    So charities don't advertise and raise awareness about themselves then? I don't know about France, but here I constantly see many various different types of charities advertised everywhere.

Exactly - charities need as much as exposure as they can so if someone like Beckham can raise your awareness then all good and well.

People are carrying on like's he stolen from them!!

Look at Joe Hart with the little boy with cancer on Sky Sports last month - Cancer Research were probably glad of the extra coverage they got from that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly - charities need as much as exposure as they can so if someone like Beckham can raise your awareness then all good and well.

Look at Joe Hart with the little boy with cancer on Sky Sports last month - Cancer Research were probably glad of the extra coverage they got from that.

So what is the identity of the charity that Beckham will be donating to please?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really despise the amount of cynicism some people give when someone actually does something good. Becks is a high profile sportsman and so it was inevitible the clauses of his contract would be made public in some way.

For all those saying that he's not actually parting with anything he has enough to retire and could just spend the time with his kids. The fact that he's not doing that plus giving the money to charity speaks measures about him. I think he's setting a fantastic example to his kids not to take anything for granted.

The people that are probably having a go at him were the same ones berating Gary Barlow despite all the Charity work publicised and unpublicised he's done. Stop being so damn cynical it's a shame more Celebrities can't be like this.

Yes, but how would you know if more celebrities are not like it? What, because they don't broadcast it? For all we know half or most prefer to give to charities anonymously without the fanfare or huge publicity.
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he wants to publicise it, so be it. It doesn't take away from the wonderful gesture he is making. Maybe he wants a Knighthood, I don't know. *Maybe* he wants to set a precadent.

The facts of the matter are that he's playing football presumably for the love of it and he's raising money for disadvantaged children.

Whatever your opinion of him, it's an incredibly generous gesture and he should be commended for it, not criticised for his motives.
  • Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe he wants a Knighthood

Are you serious, of course he wants a knighthood and I'll bet he thought he'd got one for all his Olympic work.

Now before anyone has a go at me, I think what he's doing is admirable, I certainly couldn't afford to donate any of my salary to a charity even if I wanted to. I think he should have at least split in 50/50 with a UK childrens charity but we'll have to wait and see.

I see it's clearly said that he has donated his salary, I'll bet he hangs onto any cash made from image and merchandise sales!!

Not as thick as people make him out to be!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I see it's clearly said that he has donated his salary, I'll bet he hangs onto any cash made from image and merchandise sales!!

Not as thick as people make him out to be!

The Beckhams may be academically challenged in many ways, but both should have PhDs in money-making ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm already well aware of the many charities, but I agree they need exposure. However, many are doing that pretty well by themselves without the celebrity involvement, for e.g, Cancer Research. They have their own charity shops in most high streets and many people go into them.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supposing he'd accepted his salary...........I wonder if he'd be slated like this.
    Actually I find this negativity offensive.:yawn::yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    So funny how people will look for the negative in any and everything
  • Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supposing he'd accepted his salary...........I wonder if he'd be slated like this.

Welcome to DS, home of negativity and celebrity-bashing. :D

I may disapprove of what is said, but I defend to the death the right to say it (paraphrasing the famous quote there).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to DS, home of negativity and celebrity-bashing. :D

I may disapprove of what is said, but I defend to the death the right to say it (paraphrasing the famous quote there).

Lol.....I do kinda agree but its relentless.;)
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who says you can't buy a knighthood, watch this space!
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't you stop criticising others for having a different opinion? I've said it's a nice gesture, and it is.

I'm not in the millionaire bracket and I'd daresay neither are you, and how do you know I don't donate to charity?

agree we all have our own opinions, and mine is although he wants everyone to see him as a nice guy, the donation money, he will not miss... but he is British. so he could have given some to his own country... so he wants the frogs to see him as a nice guy...:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who says you can't buy a knighthood, watch this space!

I sincerely hope he does get a knighthood but I'm 99.9999% convinced that donating his salary to charity has nothing to do with it.:yawn:

He deserves a knighthood imho.............so put that in your pipe and smoke it.:p
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sincerely hope he does get a knighthood but I'm 99.9999% convinced that donating his salary to charity has nothing to do with it.:yawn:

He deserves a knighthood imho.............so put that in your pipe and smoke it.:p

knighthood ???????? WHAT FOR.. sorry how much..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, it seems that although people are saying that it's great that he's raising awareness for this charity, no-one has actually said, or seems to know, who the charity are.

Great publicity, eh?
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd believe that if he'd just gone and quietly donated instead of making a big 'ooh look what I'm doing' anouncement, any one for a knighthood?
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member

Try not to be too offended/bored by people expressing a different opinion of a celebrity to the one you hold. I would imagine it makes enjoying your participation in a showbiz gossip forum a tad difficult! :p
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting a bit cheesed off with people saying they wished other well paid footballers did more, like Becks has done.

Well, a lot of them do, but they don't announce it to everyone in a press conference.

Didier Drogba has a Foundation and has built a hospital in his country of the Ivory Coast, for example.