Tesco Direct New Ipad ???

rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just looking on the Tesco Direct Website for pre ordering of new ipad and they are still calling the ipad 3 the new ipad

Its all very confusing....

http://www.tesco.com/direct/the-new-ipad/?icid=search_spons_newipad

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    rottweiler wrote: »
    Just looking on the Tesco Direct Website for pre ordering of new ipad and they are still calling the ipad 3 the new ipad

That's what Apple called it...no idea why
  • m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not really helped by the iPad 3 just vanishing into thin air on the apple site. It now goes iPad 2, iPad mini and new iPad (with no number)
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    m4tt24 wrote: »
    It now goes iPad 2, iPad mini and new iPad (with no number)

not true.
    it is now...

iPad Mini
    iPad 2
    iPad with Retina Display.

all clearly marked as to which is which.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1499080/Screen%20Shot%202012-10-25%20at%2013.09.44.png
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    want to use the £10 voucher but cant order yet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    not true.
    it is now...

iPad Mini
    iPad 2
    iPad with Retina Display.

all clearly marked as to which is which.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1499080/Screen%20Shot%202012-10-25%20at%2013.09.44.png

You put to much effort into repeating my list of products in a different order. Im not entirely sure what your point it. :confused: The removal of the number is bound to confuse consumers if they're buying from other sources and looking for the latest and it's just advertised as 'with retina display' when the iPad3 already had retina display.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You put to much effort into repeating my list of products in a different order. Im not entirely sure what your point it. :confused: The removal of the number is bound to confuse consumers if they're buying from other sources and looking for the latest and it's just advertised as 'with retina display' when the iPad3 already had retina display.

there never was an "iPad 3" though.
    it was only ever called the "new" iPad, and now called "iPad with Retina Display".

the number 3 has not been removed as it never existed in the first place.

in fact, the only iPad ever to have a number after it was the 2nd gen iPad. the first iPad wasn't called the iPad 1. there have been more iPads with no numbers than those that had a number.
    It's not really helped by the iPad 3 just vanishing into thin air on the apple site. It now goes iPad 2, iPad mini and new iPad (with no number)

my point being, the "iPad 3" didn't vanish into thin air, as it never existed in the first place.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there never was an "iPad 3" though.
    it was only ever called the "new" iPad, and now called "iPad with Retina Display".

the number 3 has not been removed as it never existed in the first place.

in fact, the only iPad ever to have a number after it was the 2nd gen iPad. the first iPad wasn't called the iPad 1. there have been more iPads with no numbers than those that had a number.

my point being, the "iPad 3" didn't vanish into thin air, as it never existed in the first place.
    Technically yes, you're correct, but, in Joe Public's mind there was and still is, an iPad "3".

Everyone I know calls it the iPad 3. There are probably 100's of thousands, even millions of people World wide who call it the iPad 3.

Most people call the 1st iPad the iPad 1, then the iPad 2 and the iPad 3.

The confusion is well and truly caused by Apple on this one. They shouold have simply called it the iPad 3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    Everyone I know calls it the iPad 3. There are probably 100's of thousands, even millions of people World wide who call it the iPad 3.

any statistics to back up that? or is just a number plucked out of the air?
    Most people call the 1st iPad the iPad 1

i very much doubt that. did they also call it the iPad1 when that was the only iPad?
    The confusion is well and truly caused by Apple on this one. They shouold have simply called it the iPad 3.

no, the confusion is caused by "Joe Public" calling it something that is isn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks please don't be pedantic about this -

JOE PUBLIC call it the iPad 3. You know them. The plebs who know nowt about tech stuff.

YOU being a techie( more technically minded?) wouldn't call it that, just like myself. I wouldn't. Why? Because being more of a tech head, I "know" it isn't called the iPad3.

But normal everyday Joe Public call it iPad3. That was my point. A point which you seem to just brush over.

Ny the way. Below is a print screen of a local "things for sale" Facebook I'm subscribed to, and just out of interest I looked for ipad 3 sales/references.
    I think THIS probably shows what Joe Public calls the iPad Retina! (I mean, the iPad3) ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks please don't be pedantic about this -

JOE PUBLIC call it the iPad 3. You know them. The plebs who know nowt about tech stuff.

YOU being a techie( more technically minded?) wouldn't call it that, just like myself. I wouldn't. Why? Because being more of a tech head, I "know" it isn't called the iPad3.

But normal everyday Joe Public call it iPad3. That was my point. A point which you seem to just brush over.

i saw your point, but i just don't accept that just because some people decide to call something by the wrong name that it makes it acceptable.

anyway, technically, shouldn't the "plebs" be calling it the iPad 4? seeing as the previous "new" iPad has been replaced with a spec bump.
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i saw your point, but i just don't accept that just because some people decide to call something by the wrong name that it makes it acceptable.

anyway, technically, shouldn't the "plebs" be calling it the iPad 4? seeing as the previous "new" iPad has been replaced with a spec bump.
    Technically, it should be "iPad with Retina Display (4th generation)". The new iPad was referred to by Apple in their tech specs etc as iPad (3rd generation), but that doesn't go well for marketing purposes!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Technically, it should be "iPad with Retina Display (4th generation)". The new iPad was referred to by Apple in their tech specs etc as iPad (3rd generation), but that doesn't go well for marketing purposes!

not to throw a spanner in the works, but it's the 2nd generation of iPads with a retina display, so not "iPad with Retina Display (2nd generation)" ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now I see what your point is earlier , however it's not Joe public that used the term iPad 3 it's most review sites, newspapers, retailers and pretty much most sites including 'techie' sites have used the term iPad 3 except apple as it is an easier way of recognisng which is the latest model in numerical order.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now I see what your point is earlier , however it's not Joe public that used the term iPad 3 it's most review sites, newspapers, retailers and pretty much most sites including 'techie' sites have used the term iPad 3 except apple as it is an easier way of recognisng which is the latest model in numerical order.

seeing as it was Apple that make the iPad, they can call it whatever they like.

those sites that use the wrong name are the ones causing the confusion, as they imply that it's called the "iPad 3" and when joe public goes somewhere to buy it they see no reference to an "iPad 3" anywhere.

let's keep it simple and call it by the correct name.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon you're a secret fanboi chenks :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon you're a secret fanboi chenks :)

it just makes sense to call things by their actual name.

it would be silly if i decided to call you by a different name because it made sense to "me".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I own one. I call it the iPad 3 or the third generation iPad. I know that isn't technically its name, but it makes things easier if people ask which one it is.

I think the general point being made is that, because the model has been refreshed mid-cycle, how do you know whether you're getting an updated one, or old stock, if you buy through a third-party retailer?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the general point being made is that, because the model has been refreshed mid-cycle, how do you know whether you're getting an updated one, or old stock, if you buy through a third-party retailer?

very easily.
    the new one has the lightning port, the old one has the big port.

also, if you're buying right now then it'll be the old one as they new one isn't available yet.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    rottweiler wrote: »

Do not worry because on Friday the 26 October 2012, tomorrow, the new new Ipad is coming out called Ipad 4
    Take a look here http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a432911/ipad-mini-and-4th-gen-ipad-announced-by-apple.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do not worry because on Friday the 26 October 2012 the new new Ipad is coming out called Ipad 4
    Take a look here http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a432911/ipad-mini-and-4th-gen-ipad-announced-by-apple.html

Joe Public speaks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    very easily.
    the new one has the lightning port, the old one has the big port.

also, if you're buying right now then it'll be the old one as they new one isn't available yet.

No, I understand that. I can also see the point though, that if you're not a particularly techy person but have heard there's a new iPad, you would probably assume that the model being sold as 'the new iPad' is indeed the 'new' iPad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I understand that. I can also see the point though, that if you're not a particularly techy person but have heard there's a new iPad, you would probably assume that the model being sold as 'the new iPad' is indeed the 'new' iPad.

it should be.
    anyone trying to sell the previous version under the "new" tag might get into trouble for mis-advertising.

however, i expect that all stock of the previous version will disappear very quickly, so the chances of it occurring should be slim.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it should be.
    anyone trying to sell the previous version under the "new" tag might get into trouble for mis-advertising.

however, i expect that all stock of the previous version will disappear very quickly, so the chances of it occurring should be slim.

Why would they? The 'iPad 3' was called 'the new iPad', wasn't it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would they? The 'iPad 3' was called 'the new iPad', wasn't it?

the name "new iPad with Retina Display" now only refers to one particular device, and it is the one with the lightning port.

if any store is selling both current and previous versions then they need to be very explicit in which version is which, otherwise they could be accused of misleading customers.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'The new iPad' was only ever a marketing description, in much the same way as the departing line of iMacs was labelled as 'The new iMac' for about 9 months after their launch.

The actual product name for what is commonly referred to as the iPad 3 was 'iPad (3rd generation)' as can be seen on Apple's page on identifying iPad models

Their page on iPad LTE support shows they are now renaming it to 'iPad with Retina display (3rd generation)', and the new one will be 'iPad with Retina display (4th generation)', which is consistent with what appears on the product information page with the word 'new' being dropped.