My Mad, Fat Diary

Comments

• StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it. I thought it was gonna be another one of those 'ha ha lets laugh at the crazy freak' kind of shows but even though the first episode was a bit disturbing it really grew on me.

I think Rae's a really likeable character and it has me on the edge of my seat as I can see the mistakes she's gonna make and what's gonna happen. Last night's episode was great, although I don't like her little friend.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moloko wrote: »
    This show has become a victim of poor, misleading marketing, which is a shame, as had Channel 4 not made it look pretentious and fluffy, it would have gotten wider exposure and even more positive responses. Hopefully based on the good reviews amongst critics and fans the powers that be recommission this programme.

I agree. I was really put off by the original advert for this and just thought it was going to be a silly teen show that laughed at fat people, basically. It was only because I saw a comment by someone on Twitter saying it was set in the 90s (something I don't think was made at all apparent in the original advert) and chancing upon a positive review on, I think, the Guardian website that I decided to give it a chance. So glad I did, but I can imagine there are a lot of people in their twenties and even thirties who would really love this if they were aware of the themes it was dealing with and how well written it is (as well as how cracking the soundtrack is! Loved the use of Radiohead last night.)

Last night was probably my favourite episode yet. I was a bit wary it was going to be a bit too similar to Skins with the drug taking and rave, but it was almost unbearably ruthless in dealing with Rae's personality flaws. The scene where she came down in the morning after releasing the birds was simply heartbreaking, and a very clever metaphor for showing that people don't always thrive when they try to be 'free'.

Also, it definitely looks like Finn has a thing for Rae - I hope there will be a happy ending for him and Rae but I don't necessarily expect this show to pander to the audience with a happy ending. I'll be very sad if the show doesn't get recommissioned.
  • xynariaxynaria Posts: 24,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why this is tucked away on E4 can only be explained by over extended mind dimming dwug use by programmers.............................
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Finn kissing Chloe...noooo! He obviously likes Rae but was hurt when he saw her kiss Archie.
    I quite like Tix, although as another poster said a bit unrealistic.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    I agree. I was really put off by the original advert for this and just thought it was going to be a silly teen show that laughed at fat people, basically. It was only because I saw a comment by someone on Twitter saying it was set in the 90s (something I don't think was made at all apparent in the original advert) and chancing upon a positive review on, I think, the Guardian website that I decided to give it a chance. So glad I did, but I can imagine there are a lot of people in their twenties and even thirties who would really love this if they were aware of the themes it was dealing with and how well written it is (as well as how cracking the soundtrack is! Loved the use of Radiohead last night.)

Last night was probably my favourite episode yet. I was a bit wary it was going to be a bit too similar to Skins with the drug taking and rave, but it was almost unbearably ruthless in dealing with Rae's personality flaws. The scene where she came down in the morning after releasing the birds was simply heartbreaking, and a very clever metaphor for showing that people don't always thrive when they try to be 'free'.

Also, it definitely looks like Finn has a thing for Rae - I hope there will be a happy ending for him and Rae but I don't necessarily expect this show to pander to the audience with a happy ending. I'll be very sad if the show doesn't get recommissioned.

Did the line in the advert where it said something like "It is 1996 and i am going to find out if there are any cool people in Lincoln" pass you by?
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving this show, getting better each week. Cant believe its such a short series... Anyone know hows its done ratings wise?

About 350k which, although low, is more than that slot usually gets. I would anticipate it will be recommissioned. I mean Skins didnt get much more than that towards the end (although did start with over 1million)

Tbh it can't be that expensive to make, it has quite a small cast and is shot in the UK.... (although i have no idea how much a TV show actually costs to make)
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last one next week, I'll miss Rae :(

:(:(:(Think I'm going to miss Finn more

Really hope we get a 2nd series and whilst I would love Finn and Rae to get together it would be more appropriate to not have a happy ending
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xynaria wrote: »
    Why this is tucked away on E4 can only be explained by over extended mind dimming dwug use by programmers.............................

It's on E4 for the same reasons that The Inbetweeners and Misfits were on E4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mishcoll wrote: »

Really hope we get a 2nd series and whilst I would love Finn and Rae to get together it would be more appropriate to not have a happy ending

Agreed, a happy ending would be far too twee not to mention totally unrealistic.

Don't want him to end up with that Chloe piece either though.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    xynaria wrote: »

In mitigation, they advertised the hell out of it.
  • Lola UKLola UK Posts: 3,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gutted next weeks will be the last. it's the only programme for a while that has kept me coming back for more. :(

and boo to chloe and finn! (although I would have jumped him too)

I don't think he actually likes chloe though.. fingers crossed for a happy(ish) ending!
  • scar_tissuescar_tissue Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read the book when it came out. I too wish it was set in the late 80s/early 90s but its well acted and the characters as I'd imagine them. Hope its shown on channel 4 as I've missed too many episodes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    I read the book when it came out. I too wish it was set in the late 80s/early 90s but its well acted and the characters as I'd imagine them. Hope its shown on channel 4 as I've missed too many episodes.

How does it compare to the book?

On the one had I want it to be realistic and for Finn to end up with Chloe, but on the other I want to see him and Rae together! It keeps getting better every week, can't believe there's only 6 episodes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Mishcoll wrote: »

I never saw him as particularly good looking in Hollyoaks but he really is gorgeous!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loving this series, didnt think i would enjoy it but i gave it ago and ended up watch all the episodes this evening..

Loved the rave in the last episode, incredibly rave like, and im glad Rae took pills without ending up in hospital on her death bed! Im a massive raver myself and its nice to see TV having the guts to show someone take a pill and be just fine!

Hope there is another series and gutted to hear there is only one left to go!
  • firestarter.ukfirestarter.uk Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Loving this show & looking forward to watching the whole thing again (and again),

Also not sure why Tix has unsupervised eating & allowed the gym step in her room.

But am I the only one who hopes a second series wont be commissioned? Better to shine bright and quickly rather than dragging out an inferior second series (like Homeland, sniff).
  • xynariaxynaria Posts: 24,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's on E4 for the same reasons that The Inbetweeners and Misfits were on E4.

I suppose apart from Skins and Shameless (US) I keep almost forgetting E4 exists. I'd say most of the more popular shows deserve a more high profile C4 outing really..........
  • earlbearlb Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    For those interested, I' m a friend of Rae and we worked together in I.L.R (local radio). Rae is now happily married, living in Tasmania and has a wonderful little boy called Harry.
    She is also on Facebook.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indie.star wrote: »
    I never saw him as particularly good looking in Hollyoaks but he really is gorgeous!

I loved him as Newt in HO when I was a bit younger and particularly keen on the emo look :o I think he looks even better as Finn.

When Darren (Danny) told me he was working with him on the show I considered stowing away in his suitcase! I asked about him and he said he's very nice and very funny IRL :)
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    Did the line in the advert where it said something like "It is 1996 and i am going to find out if there are any cool people in Lincoln" pass you by?

It clearly did! :p
  • Shane54Shane54 Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say that this is one of the most engaging, touching and authentic dramas I've seen for a long, long time. Perfectly cast and beautifully acted, it's all the happiness, sadness and confusion of your teenage years rolled into one vulnerable, aching journey. I can't believe I almost gave it a miss because of the first trailers, and I'll certainly miss it - miss them - when it's finished.

One nice aside to it being set in 1996 is the absence of smartphones being used as a plot device, makes me almost nostalgic for those days.

It's amazing that "yoof" drama like this can still be produced when you think of the unending shallowness of Hollyoaks and the parade of loathsome, soulless, selfish, self-absorbed cliched sociopaths played by bad actors that Skins eventually became. It's a different class altogether. I love Rae, I love Chop, I love Finn, I love them all... Does that make me a saddo? I don't care. :-)
  • scar_tissuescar_tissue Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How does it compare to the book?

On the one had I want it to be realistic and for Finn to end up with Chloe, but on the other I want to see him and Rae together! It keeps getting better every week, can't believe there's only 6 episodes.

It's been a couple of years since I read the book, but
    I don't think Rae ends up with Finn
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Shane54 wrote: »
    It's amazing that "yoof" drama like this can still be produced when you think of the unending shallowness of Hollyoaks and the parade of loathsome, soulless, selfish, self-absorbed cliched sociopaths played by bad actors that Skins eventually became. It's a different class altogether. I love Rae, I love Chop, I love Finn, I love them all... Does that make me a saddo? I don't care. :-)

One of the reasons I've never watched is that apart from Rae the rest of the cast look like they are from Skins, that's not realistic at all, that you're either ugly or beautiful and nothing in between when of course that's where the majority of us are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just one thing. I have lived just outside Stamford all my life. Did the Rae actress misread Lincolnshire on the script as Lancashire? I guess most people in this country wouldn't know what a Stamford/Peterborough accent sounds like but, it doesn't sound like her.

Maybe the real Rae moved from somewhere else before the era the series is set in?
  • MolokoMoloko Posts: 7,871
    Forum Member
    But am I the only one who hopes a second series wont be commissioned? Better to shine bright and quickly rather than dragging out an inferior second series (like Homeland, sniff).

No, we lost My So-Called Life prematurely before, please not this one.