Widows 8 Log In Nuisance

Widows 8 Log In Nuisance
I have just successfully updated from Windows 7 to Windows 8, at the end of the installation you were prompted to put an email and password to finalise the user account setting.
For some reason when you turn the computer on it asks for the password & even more enoying you must be on line as well. This makes it impossible to switch the computer on when not connected to the internet. In previous editions of Windows you could bypass all this and go straight into Windows, why on earth has Microsoft stipulated that to use your computer you must be connected to the internet is a bit rich.
Am I missing something here or is there a way to disable this?

Comments

• len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    turbo10 wrote: »
    Widows 8 Log In Nuisance
    I have just successfully updated from Windows 7 to Windows 8, at the end of the installation you were prompted to put an email and password to finalise the user account setting.
    For some reason when you turn the computer on it asks for the password & even more enoying you must be on line as well. This makes it impossible to switch the computer on when not connected to the internet. In previous editions of Windows you could bypass all this and go straight into Windows, why on earth has Microsoft stipulated that to use your computer you must be connected to the internet is a bit rich.
    Am I missing something here or is there a way to disable this?
    You can specify a local account which basically means you can login without setting a password (if you wish ) I don't think that requires an internet connection .Swipe to the right to get to settings , change pc settings then users
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't need to be online to log in.

It will store your password on the computer - just like previous versions of Windows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had any luck logging into widows.
  • RG101RG101 Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    If you go to the start screen, type in run, click on it and type in netplwiz, untick the box - users must enter a username and password to use this computer, click apply and enter your password and confirm then click ok,

Next time you boot up it should go straight to the start screen without any need to log on.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    turbo10 wrote: »
    why on earth has Microsoft stipulated that to use your computer you must be connected to the internet is a bit rich.

They haven't, they just want people to think that (and many will be fooled). I haven't logged on to my old Windows Live/Hotmail/Microsoft account since I installed Windows 8, and I use it every day. I use Local accounts.

Which reminds me, I ought to do that in case there are some non-spam emails waiting for me! :eek: :D
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I switched to local accounts quickly. It was showing my full name and the last thing I want is for some funny script to ask for it while browsing.