Sony - Greedy tycoons or responsible enviromentalists?

royllsroyceroyllsroyce Posts: 1,163
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So, Playstation 4 console will not play Playstation 3 games. Slightly outraged.

So what do Sony want us to do? Bin all our PS3's and games, and go and buy the PS4? Keep the economy going and keep the fat cats dining on their caviar?

OR...perhaps they want us to keep our PS3's and games, and get them out on rainy days? (We can't all have this http://img.brajeshwar.com/game-console.jpg )

Perhaps they don't want us to throw our ps3's out and have them end up in landfills, in which case they are being environmentally responsible.

The PS2 was probably one of the most popular consoles in the world but its backwards compatibility may have rendered the PS1 useless so instead of keeping them people threw them out.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused:
  • Titan9Titan9 Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most PS1/2/3 games will be BC via cloud services. Cost? That's another issue.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    If you want to pl;ay PS3 games that much, ...keep your PS3! Sony will be offering older games via streaming.

It comes down to costs, would you like a more expensive console that can play PS3 games, or would you prefer one slightly cheaper? I'm seeing a massive split here between who know their tech and those who do not, the PS3 and PS4 are VERY DIFFERENT in terms of technical make up.
  • Titan9Titan9 Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally didn't play any PS1/2 games on my PS3. Likewise if I purchase a PS4, I wouldn't play PS3 games.

Why would I? I want to play next gen games.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You wouldn't chuck it away, you'd sell it on.
  • Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Titan9 wrote: »
    I personally didn't play any PS1/2 games on my PS3. Likewise if I purchase a PS4, I wouldn't play PS3 games.

You have never had titles from a generation that you have wanted to keep over and be able to play on the next machine without still needing that original machine?

I still have a bunch of original XBOX titles that I still really enjoy playing every now and again (the GTA series for example) and I am glad that the 360 gave me the abillity to do that.

(Although to a limited degree, the fact that none of the Timesplitters games are B/C stings to this day, but it is alot better than nothing at all)

Will have to see how the digital B/C pans out on the PS4, and will be interesting to see if MS go the opposite route and allow B/C on all games this coming generation.
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a tad disappointed that the PS4 isn't backward compatible but I was never planning on getting rid of my PS3 anyway because it's a perfectly good blu ray player for one of the bedrooms. I never threw out my PS2 because back then I needed an extra dvd player.

That said I'll be struggling for room under the telly if MS announce the new X Box wont be backwards compat. I spent more money on games for the 360 than I have for the PS3 (because my friends mostly own the 360) so will be more unwilling to make the move straight away.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    While Im not overly bothered about it not having BC since I'll be keeping my PS3, My sister is really annoyed about it.

She's only got a very small bedroom & doesn't have a great deal of space, If she was to get a PS4 she would need to get rid of something else & since she regularly goes back & re-plays old games on old systems she doesn't really want to.
    Titan9 wrote: »

I still regularly go back & re-play old games, I brought them & even if there 10+yrs old I still want to play em.

Was playing V-Rally 3 on my PS1 last night for instance.
  • bitebugbitebug Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still have the PS1 and PS2 (with loads of games), Gamecube and N64 (with some games) The Wii's (VC) serves as my retro console for the 8bit and 16bit era.

So having no BC on the PS4 is no problem for me.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    It comes down to costs, would you like a more expensive console that can play PS3 games, or would you prefer one slightly cheaper? I'm seeing a massive split here between who know their tech and those who do not, the PS3 and PS4 are VERY DIFFERENT in terms of technical make up.

I would like to see option 3. A slightly cheaper console with BC done via some form of add-on hardware for those who want it. It must be possible to shove some PS3 chips on an add-on device that plugs into the PS4 to add BC.

Also, the PS3 wasn't powerful enough to do emulate PS2 games but is the PS4 powerful enough to do it with PS2 games.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I would like to see option 3. A slightly cheaper console with BC done via some form of add-on hardware for those who want it. It must be possible to shove some PS3 chips on an add-on device that plugs into the PS4 to add BC.

Also, the PS3 wasn't powerful enough to do emulate PS2 games but is the PS4 powerful enough to do it with PS2 games.

So you'd rather pay for an add-on so you can play PS3 games on a PS4, rather than just play them on a PS3?
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    If you want to pl;ay PS3 games that much, ...keep your PS3! Sony will be offering older games via streaming.

Do you know your tech Ash?
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its not really power that dictates it, it depends on what an emulator would have to do in order to work. PS3 had a unique system, it would be VERY hard to emulate on any system not using that same set up.

Like on the PC, gamecube and Dreamcasts games are very easy to emulate, but the original Xbox and PS2 took a lot longer (with the ps2 never really being done bar some experimental projects)
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It must be possible to shove some PS3 chips on an add-on device that plugs into the PS4 to add BC.
    Even if it was possible, it would need active cooling, so it would require its own power source. You can't run a single core CPU at 3.2GHz without active cooling let alone the Cell which is far more powerful and complex.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are simply trying to sell us games we already own. End of story. The environment has nothing to do with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    So you'd rather pay for an add-on so you can play PS3 games on a PS4, rather than just play them on a PS3?

I would certainly like the option.

Given the choice of having a PSX, PS2, PS3 and PS4 under my TV or a PS4 which can play them all I would opt for the PS4 playing them all.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    I would certainly like the option.

Given the choice of having a PSX, PS2, PS3 and PS4 under my TV or a PS4 which can play them all I would opt for the PS4 playing them all.

By taking away BC they also undermine inter-generational console loyalty. I own a PS3 so I can play my PS3 games on my new console I would buy a PS4 but since it doesn't offer that feature, the rival consoles become more attractive.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    They are simply trying to sell us games we already own. End of story. The environment has nothing to do with it.

This is where PlayStation Plus comes in handy!

USE IT, Add those games you already own, your account will then be registered for the Digital Download versions as long as you stay on Plus. As long as you have the Digital Download versions, you can STREAM on PS4.

That's been Sony's grand plan all along, whilst it offers a good range of games for PS3 users, it's also signing accounts for the digital versions which the PS4 will use to Stream.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I can't help thinking some people are thinking "ZOMG! Sony are trying to get people to buy the same game twice, the evil c**ts!!!" or something similar.

Which is just silly.

Hardware manufacturers might be evil, money-grabbing gits but they know that backward-compatibility is always an asset and they also know that the vast majority of owners will have the option of just, y'know, retaining the thing they already have.

That being the case, they aren't going to go out of their way to remove backward compatibilty just for the sake of flogging a bunch of games for the PS4 to people who've already bought the same game for the PS3.

Backward compatibility is only usually removed as a last resort when it becomes apparent that some component has reached the limit of it's development and retaining it would limit the new product unacceptably.

Or, to put it more simply, suck it up and keep your PS3 if it bothers you that much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is where PlayStation Plus comes in handy!

USE IT, Add those games you already own, your account will then be registered for the Digital Download versions as long as you stay on Plus. As long as you have the Digital Download versions, you can STREAM on PS4.

That's been Sony's grand plan all along, whilst it offers a good range of games for PS3 users, it's also signing accounts for the digital versions which the PS4 will use to Stream.

This seem very unclear at the moment with the current news that PS4 WONT play PSN purchases made on PS3.

If the streaming of PS3 games to PS4 like you suggest is actually their longer term plan (Even if it doesn't arrive at launch) them really need to come out and say that soon. I would be perfectly happy with BC been done through the Cloud especially allowing you to continue playing PS3 PSN purchases on PS4.
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Effectively they have killed off the second hand market, If nothing disc wise is compatible.....Its not like I can buy back titles for me..........

I would consider a PS4, if I could cherry pick the PS3 titles which I have never owned or played and now I can't buy them and use them with a PS4......I don't want lots of cables and power supplies underneath the television

If Playstation Plus works with 2nd hand games.......that could be a great option

buy the discs 2nd hand, register them, get a digital download........

that will surely be a cheaper option than buying them through the cloud streaming service
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Effectively they have killed off the second hand market, If nothing disc wise is compatible.....Its not like I can buy back titles for me..........

I would consider a PS4, if I could cherry pick the PS3 titles which I have never owned or played and now I can't buy them and use them with a PS4......I don't want lots of cables and power supplies underneath the television

Or you could buy them on the PS4, meaning you could cherry pick. However I do fear this will increase the prices as we have seen already this generation.

I have no issue with it but it should always be an option to allow to play a classic without having to repurchase it. Perhaps with the PS4 announced now, they could do it that if you enter a code you can download that game for free on the PS4 upon its release... least it will keep the likes of GTA5 going (unless thats planned for the PS4 too)
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many of you have bought PSX games on PSN?
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    mojobrew wrote: »
    I've brought a couple.

I got Crash Team Racing to replace a damaged original PS1 CD, got a few others because I didn't ever buy them for my PS1 & also brought a few of the Imports they put on there.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mojobrew wrote: »
    I've bought 2 (RR Type 4 and MGS1) but they were for use on the Vita and they were in sale. I've received loads via PS+ but they are games I had no interest in playing when the PS1 was current gen (like Resident Evil 1-3, Crash Bandicoot, Final Fantasy V etc) and I have no intention of ever playing them.