[Game] The Twist Factor: Live Show #4

EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
Forum Member
✭✭
Ladies and gentlemen, your Friday night starts right here with the long-awaited return of The Twist Factor!

It's been quite a while since the last show, with numerous judges leaving and others taking their place and all that. The new judges have settled in now, and looking at the song list we're in for quite a show tonight! Anyway, I think it would be highly appropriate to recap last show considering how long ago that took place.

Last show, which was hosted by Soppyfan in my absence, was all about science. Each act sang a song related to a scientific subject. The reactions were mixed, and the show was shook up even more when not one but TWO twists were announced. Firstly, the immunities Kevin game to two acts back in live show one were put into play, which meant that Matt Defreitas and Jake Quickenden would receive a free pass to the next show. Secondly, the sing-off had to be done without survival songs, leaving the judges with only their own opinions on the bottom 2 acts to rely on in their decision of who to send home. After a unanimous jury vote, Tara Simon was eliminated in favor of Carolynne Poole.

Today, we will continue where we left off. Ten acts remain, and tonight one more will leave the competition. Of course there will be a minor twist involved, as well as another crazy theme for the next show. Anyway, each act will sing one song about either crime or money, as the theme is Crime Doesn't Pay. Before we get to that though, allow me the courtesy of introducing you to our four fair judges and their marvelous acts!
Your standard intro tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6uX0MWetHA

Team Barry
Carolynne Poole
Jake Quickenden
Olly Murs

Team Kevin
Aiden Grimshaw
Arin Ray
Beverly Savarin
Matt Defreitas

Team April
Little Mix
Girl V Boy
Tasha Pyne

And Soppyfan as the resident impartial judge

Ha, I seem to be right on time for the first time this entire series! :p

Judges, are you all here and ready to get this show on the road again?

Comments

• SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am here, but just finishing off something else so I'll try to be quick.
  • EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    April isn't online, and hasn't specified why either in the two PMs she sent me. I do have her comments and votes though, so it doesn't really matter anyway.

I do wonder where Kev is though, I haven't received anything from him and he's not online either. I hope he'll turn up sooner or later though.
  • ben8936ben8936 Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    April isn't online, and hasn't specified why either in the two PMs she sent me. I do have her comments and votes though, so it doesn't really matter anyway.

I do wonder where Kev is though, I haven't received anything from him and he's not online either. I hope he'll turn up sooner or later though.

ill fill in for april
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ben8936 wrote: »
    ill fill in for april

It doesn't work like that, you can vote later on though like any other viewer. :)
  • Kuda_KunakaKuda_Kunaka Posts: 2,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whats the theme?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whats the theme?
    Anyway, each act will sing one song about either crime or money, as the theme is Crime Doesn't Pay

It's right there in the opening post? :confused:
  • Kuda_KunakaKuda_Kunaka Posts: 2,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh missed that. sorry
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barry should be online and notice either this thread or my PM directing him to this thread soon, so let's get started.

The act opening tonight's show is perfect for the situation the show is in at the moment. They were gone for some time, then they got back in full swing. Ladies and gentlemen, please give it up for the first of April's groups of tonight's show: Girl V Boy singing a cover version of In For The Kill by La Roux!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4trZushH2Bg
    Reason: Killing people is a criminal act
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Girl v Boy

I know many people were surprised at you getting through last week, but you deserve to be here! I really loved this performance, I gave you this arrangement to appear more alternative as I think it's time we try to find a niche which can get a fanbase behind us. I thought you really pulled it out of the bag, and everybody please get these two through for next week!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done for opening the show tonight. People were surprised when you got through but here you are with a point to prove. This was a major change of direction your mentor has taken and I tell you what. It was a great move, because you are beginning to show that you can adapt your voices to other styles. A very clever choice by your mentor, well done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barry can catch up once he gets here, while we go through the rest of the acts. So a pretty good set of comments for Girl V Boy for once! That's quite a u-turn for them considering the comments they've been getting in the past weeks! Are they on the rise or will this show be the definitive end of the road for them?

Next up, it's the first member of the still-intact team Kevin. He got amazing comments last week, and hasn't really had a bad week so far. Will Aiden Grimshaw be able to keep that up with his rendition of Start A Fire by Futures?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDQygdQUsuc
    Note: Imagine Aiden's slightly darker tone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aiden Grimshaw

I really wasn't overly impressed with that. I saw overly because it was okay, it did the job and has probably kept you at least mid-table through to next time (thanks to fanbase votes), but yeah I couldn't really see what that song choice was trying to do. It didn't feel right for your voice, and it also didn't allow you to shine. Also, was this not a RULE BREAK? It's not a criminal act to start a fire, arson maybe but fires are not! I could start a fire to burn some wood in my back garden, but I wouldn't get arrested for that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aiden, I was not expecting that at all! The title may not exactly be related when it comes to starting fires but with a choice like that, I can let you off this time. The intro blew me away and when you started singing, I then knew that it was going to be a killer performance from you. I absolutely loved the song choice and the way you sung your heart out there. For tonight only, you are a rock star and I think this the turning point for you. Your best performance to date, Aiden. Absolutely terrific.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as the connection to arson is easily made, I'm not going to call a rule-breaker on this one. Anyway, mixed comments for Aiden. Will the public share these mixed feeling about Aiden's performance tonight or will they rally behind the opinions of either April or Soppyfan?

Up next, we have last show's bottom 2 survivor. She made it through based on opinions alone, but she will be singing an actual song for you again tonight. She's received a new mentor in Barry, so expect something different from Carolynne Poole tonight! Here she is singing a Lindi Ortega cover of Folsom Prison Blues by Johnny Cash!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUfFJf6CLuM
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carolynne Poole

Interesting, but not necessarily in a good way. I just didn't enjoy it, it felt very forced and just off. Maybe it's the change of mentor that's resulted in this sudden difference, saying that I haven't been loving your choices the last three weeks. Maybe your time could be numbered now, I just wasn't feeling the song choice today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carolynne, if I was a judge in the last show, I would've saved you because I thought you would come back stronger. However I'm afraid that tonight, it wasn't what I was looking for. I wasn't really getting into that choice and I felt that you've gone a big step backwards tonight. Not only am I disappointed, I have a bad feeling that you could be in trouble later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not looking good for Carolynne tonight going by these comments, but perhaps the public saw something the judges did not? After all, they are the ones deciding who the judges get to decide between in the sing-off!

Back to the boys again, it's Arin Ray with Big Black Buck by Donnie!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeYUxlZQHuw
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arin Ray

Wow, that was so original and unexpected. Literally I did not think your mentor would pick something like this. It's a pleasant surprise, and whilst it was pleasant it wasn't exactly amazing. But it should easily get you through to next week, because they competition so far has been quite weak!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm on a different page tonight. Arin, I liked the twist on the song choice but that was all I was impressed with. I'm sorry to tell you but that was one of your worst performances in the competition. I felt that you could've had a much better song that fitted your style, whilst this song didn't do your voice justice. For me it was a gamble that didn't pay off and like Carolynne, I think you are in big trouble later tonight.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girl V Boy: This was a very strange song choice for you two, I don't think the vocals suited you at all in fact it seems like your mentor just chose any old cover by a guy and girl, the vocals of the song weren't remotely suited to you two, it was just a really strange choice and I was left feeling totally underwhelmed.

Aiden Grimshaw: Firstly, April is talking a pile of rubbish, of course it fits the theme because starting a fire, aka Arson is a crime. :rolleyes: The song was perfect for you, dark, gritty, intriguing and it showed exactly how layered you are as a performer. I think that with every week, you just get stronger and stronger in this competition and I'm extremely confident that you have a bright future ahead of you in this competition.

Carolynne Poole: Carolynne, this was not you at all. It seems like your mentor totally changed everything about you, whilst I can get why he might want to take his own interpretation of you as an act, I think he tried to make too major a change to the song choices for you straight away and it came off as such a random choice for you, it's like he took everything we associate with you and did the opposite. I wasn't particularly impressed at all.

Arin Ray: Arin, this was a flipping amazing performance, I tried to take a bit of a risk with you in choosing this song and I'm delighted to say that it payed off, you're a great artist with a great voice and this was just you at your best, it was quirky, different and unusual and I loved it. The entire performance felt fresh and different, big kudos for this!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mixed comments for Arin tonight, Team Kevin seems to be getting a lot of those tonight... Will the whole team survive again tonight or will one of them, maybe even Arin, bite the dust?

Back to Team April again, it's her wildcard act Tasha Pyne who's up next. Ladies and gentlemen, give her a warm welcome before she'll sing her rendition of Kylie Minogue's Time Bomb!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYgTg3KdYWM
    Reason: Letting bombs go is criminal activity in this country
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tasha, I am very surprised and I did not expect your mentor to go for a song like this! Now this is how to take a gamble and make it pay off. I love that it was all lively and you were singing and moving on stage like a performer. I am really impressed with you tonight, Tasha. You should be safe this week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tasha Payne

Yes Tasha! That was bloody great! I thoroughly enjoyed the song, i'm so glad I have you something uptempo this week, I was worried about people getting of voting for someone who does the same songs every week. However, I've shown a completely different side of you with this song, and I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did!
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tasha Pyne: This was definitely stretching the theme but oh well, it still fits the theme. However, I thought the song itself was a dreadful pick for you, your voice is not suited to this style of generic dance-pop, you have a much more interesting tone, slightly indie pop and if anything this cover was rock-pop, I didn't like the song choice for you at all Tasha. You've always been a bit middle of the pack for me but this week, I'm swaying towards the bottom of the voting in relation to you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mixed comments for Tasha Pyne, but the audience surely seemed to enjoy that! However, there's no telling how the public will vote tonight, it's either hit or miss!

Let's go back over to Kevin's team again for the next performance. The one who's up next was immune last week, so I cannot tell you how well he did in the voting (not that I would have had he not been immune). Anyway, let's hope the public like Matt Defreitas' rendition of Chasing Rubies by Hudson Taylor!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wng5uyNXkCk
    Note: In the song, they sing about chasing rubies and gold which are signs of immense wealth, i.e. money