All-star cast announced on July 27th

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Here are some statistics :p Based on average scores, the male celebrities are likely to dominate this season

Average Scores
    01. Gilles Marini 28.06
    02. Drew Lachey 27.72
    03. Apolo Ohno 27.53
    04. Joey Fatone 27.46
    05. Helio Castronevez 27.1
    06. Shawn Johnson 26.93
    07. Melissa Rycroft 26.87
    08. Emmitt Smith 26.8
    09. Kirstie Alley 24.7
    10. Kelly Monaco 23
    11. Pamela Anderson 22.8
    12. Bristol Palin 22.6

Here are also the scores that were given for the dances that all the celebrities danced. You can't really compare scoring from season to season and the dances are danced at different points in each season but it's still quite interesting :)

Rumba
    Drew Lachey 29
    Emmitt Smith 29
    Apolo Ohno 28 & 28
    Gilles Marini 27
    Melissa Rycroft 27
    Shawn Johnson 26
    Joey Fatone 25
    Pamela Anderson 24 & 23
    Helio Castronevez 23
    Kirstie Alley 21
    Bristol Palin 18 & 14
    Kelly Monaco 17

Foxtrot
    Joey Fatone 30 & 29
    Helio Castronevez 30 & 25
    Gilles Marini 29
    Melissa Rycroft 27
    Shawn Johnson 27
    Drew Lachey 26
    Apolo Ohno 26
    Emmitt Smith 25
    Kirstie Alley 23
    Pamela Anderson 22
    Kelly Monaco 22
    Bristol Palin 19

Paso Doble
    Apolo Ohno 30 & 30
    Gilles Marini 30 & 29
    Drew Lachey 30 & 28
    Shawn Johnson 29 & 28
    Melissa Rycroft 29 & 25
    Joey Fatone 28
    Helio Castronevez 27
    Bristol Palin 27
    Kirstie Alley 27
    Kelly Monaco 25
    Emmitt Smith 24
    Pamela Anderson 21

Cha Cha Cha
    Shawn Johnson 30 & 28
    Helio Castronevez 30 & 28
    Emmitt Smith 30 & 24
    Kirstie Alley 30 & 23
    Apolo Ohno 29 & 21
    Melissa Rycroft 27
    Bristol Palin 27 & 18
    Joey Fatone 26 & 24
    Kelly Monaco 25
    Gilles Marini 24
    Drew Lachey 24
    Pamela Anderson 21

Quickstep
    Helio Castronevez 30
    Apolo Ohno 30 & 26
    Shawn Johnson 27
    Melissa Rycroft 27
    Gilles Marini 27
    Drew Lachey 27
    Emmitt Smith 24
    Joey Fatone 24
    Kelly Monaco 24
    Bristol Palin 22
    Pamela Anderson 21
    Kirstie Alley 20
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting Melissa. The guys are really going to own the competition. A very poor female selection.
  • SaraV1308SaraV1308 Posts: 9,760
    Forum Member
    Interesting line up. Glad they are not ALL winners and finalists. You need a bit of variety in this type of show (I hope Strictly eventually do a series like this - HINT TO BBC).

To make things fair I do think that all the pairings should be new ones though, it would make it fairer all round and would show if the celebrities are capable of learning different types of routines rather than their pro's stable of moves.

Gilles and Anna, Karina or Peta, would be great. Id love to see Cheryl dancing with Apolo or Helio (although Karina and Helio would be good too). I hope Derek and Shawn do not get paired together just because that would be too predictable.

New pairings for me...
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilles would be my favourite to win - as in who I think will win, rather than my favourite! Too early to say who that will be. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilles would be my favourite to win - as in who I think will win, rather than my favourite! Too early to say who that will be. :D

I agree. I can think of lots of reasons Gilles will win, both because he dances so well and is so tall and handsome and also because the six previous winners already have a mirrorball trophy on their mantle, while Gilles came within a hair's breadth of winning.

Gilles probably WOULD have won if Cheryl had given him a better freestyle that didn't cost him a point from both Bruno and Carrie Ann.

And now that MelissaStar posted the figures showing Gilles had the highest average score of the entire cast, that seals it for me. (That doesn't mean he will win, only that I think he has the best chance.)
  • ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing Gilles will get Kym - because there are only two celebrity guys tall enough for a 5'7" female pro (as both Kym and Peta are - all the other female pros are shorter) and if they don't re-pair former couples, then Kym is the only choice for Gilles, because Joey and Kym were together before and he's the only other tall guy.

I guess there's a possibility that 5'9" Emmitt might be assigned Kym or Peta, but the others are just too short:

Drew 5'5" or 5'6"; Apolo 5'7"; Helio, 5'8" and skinny as a rail - maybe 135 pounds, which is less than 10 stone (I predict he'll get very-thin 5'5" Karina Smirnoff.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elsa wrote: »
    I'm guessing Gilles will get Kym - because there are only two celebrity guys tall enough for a 5'7" female pro (as both Kym and Peta are - all the other female pros are shorter) and if they don't re-pair former couples, then Kym is the only choice for Gilles, because Joey and Kym were together before and he's the only other tall guy.

I guess there's a possibility that 5'9" Emmitt might be assigned Kym or Peta, but the others are just too short:

Drew 5'5" or 5'6"; Apolo 5'7"; Helio, 5'8" and skinny as a rail - maybe 135 pounds, which is less than 10 stone (I predict he'll get very-thin 5'5" Karina Smirnoff.)

Since they originally paired Gilles with Cheryl even though she was not one of the taller pros--Conrad Green gave an interview salivating how HOT they were going to be together--I am guessing they will do the same this time and pair Gilles will the hottest pro other than Cheryl (who is no longer the hottest anyway, imo).

The question is WHO is the hottest female pro now, and I'm not sure it's Kym. Peta maybe? Whoever they pair Gilles with will probably take home the MBT.
  • ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cutesy Shawn Johnson managed to beat Gilles Marini last time. I bet one of the "cuddlier" guys, either Apolo or Drew, will win the trophy over Gilles Marini. I think they're more appealing to the typical viewer - prudish American female of about 55 years old. Gilles too sexy, a la William Levy or Cristian de la Fuente.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elsa wrote: »
    Cutesy Shawn Johnson managed to beat Gilles Marini last time. I bet one of the "cuddlier" guys, either Apolo or Drew, will win the trophy over Gilles Marini. I think they're more appealing to the typical viewer - prudish American female of about 55 years old. Gilles too sexy, a la William Levy or Cristian de la Fuente.

Shawn didn't win because she was cute, she won because she had one of the most spectacular freestyles ever seen on Dancing With the Stars. Lots of people who never voted her before voted for her then. The comment I heard most frequently was "She deserved it." Even Brooke IIRC.

I don't believe Gilles is too sexy or that the average Middle American voter wouldn't vote for him. The viewer votes were LESS than 1% apart, which means that ALMOST as many voted for Gilles as voted for Shawn.

Gilles lost because Cheryl gave him a female-centric non-dancing freestyle. If he'd had just ONE more point from either Carrie Ann or Bruno, he wouldn't be having this discussion because he would have won.

Even Drew said he felt Gilles and Joey have MORE to prove and will have an edge.

William Levy wasn't that good a dancer, and neither was Cristian de la Fuente, which is why they came in third. Gilles is a better dancer than either of them, AND has the highest overall average of the contestants competing this season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The averages are an indicator, but they can mean very little. Maria's Jive had no jive content, yet scored 29 because the judges fawn over Derek etc etc. It's difficult to compare scores between contestants and between seasons.

Last season, William Levy scored an average of 27.5 and Maria scored an average of 26.8. To put it in context, Jennifer grey's average was 27.2 and Nicole's average was 27.5. I don't think many people would say that William was a better dancer than Jennifer or that he was as good as Nicole.

The averages are an indicator, but they can mean very little. Maria's Jive had no jive content, yet scored 29 because the judges fawn over Derek etc etc.

I do think that Gilles was a better dancer than William (who was mediocre at best) but I don't think he was THAT good. He has the second highest average evr. He looked the part, which swayed the judges too much IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rotationbl wrote: »
    The averages are an indicator, but they can mean very little. Maria's Jive had no jive content, yet scored 29 because the judges fawn over Derek etc etc. It's difficult to compare scores between contestants and between seasons.

Last season, William Levy scored an average of 27.5 and Maria scored an average of 26.8. To put it in context, Jennifer grey's average was 27.2 and Nicole's average was 27.5. I don't think many people would say that William was a better dancer than Jennifer or that he was as good as Nicole.

The averages are an indicator, but they can mean very little. Maria's Jive had no jive content, yet scored 29 because the judges fawn over Derek etc etc.

I do think that Gilles was a better dancer than William (who was mediocre at best) but I don't think he was THAT good. He has the second highest average ever. He looked the part, which swayed the judges too much IMO.

I agree on all your points, that averages don't matter that much, that Gilles wasn't THAT good a dancer, and that the judges were enthralled with Gilles primarily because he looked the part. Even after Gilles' non-dancing freestyle, Len gave him a 10 and said, "I think this freestyle has proved, to me and I hope to everyone else, you are the real dancer." (I had been on my feet shouting at the TV during their freestyle, "He's' not doing any dancing!!!" I later counted the number of dance steps Gilles did during the freestyle; it was some pitifully low number.)

Nothing is a lock and there are so many factors yet to come into play--the particular pairings, the music each is assigned, the choreography the pro comes up with, and the NFL rule "On any given Sunday..." Meaning you always have to expect the unexpected.
    Forum Member
    I hope you're all voting for Sabrina to get the final place!
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    I hope you're all voting for Sabrina to get the final place!

I really hope she does get the wildcard place, otherwise the female line-up will be a damp squib.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree on all your points, that averages don't matter that much, that Gilles wasn't THAT good a dancer, and that the judges were enthralled with Gilles primarily because he looked the part. Even after Gilles' non-dancing freestyle, Len gave him a 10 and said, "I think this freestyle has proved, to me and I hope to everyone else, you are the real dancer." (I had been on my feet shouting at the TV during their freestyle, "He's' not doing any dancing!!!" I later counted the number of dance steps Gilles did during the freestyle; it was some pitifully low number.)

Nothing is a lock and there are so many factors yet to come into play--the particular pairings, the music each is assigned, the choreography the pro comes up with, and the NFL rule "On any given Sunday..." Meaning you always have to expect the unexpected.

Cheryl couldn't have been more selfish when she choreographed the freestyle. It was just bizarre.
    I really hope she does get the wildcard place, otherwise the female line-up will be a damp squib.

To say the least!
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When does it start?
    Forum Member
    September 24th :)
  • dondfan998dondfan998 Posts: 17,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At first, I couldn't really decide between Kyle and Sabrina - love them both - but Sabrina was robbed. Kyle had his final, and I think it'll be better for Sabrina to come back.

Also, since people know she's not always safe now, I think she could do better than she did in Season 5.
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    September 24th :)

Thanks.
    I do hope it's shown on Watch.
    Forum Member
    I think if Sabrina gets the wildcard spot, she will be the last girl standing and make the final. She may have not been that popular in Series 5 but I think her popularity has grown since then as she was chosen for the Design A Dance contest and she is remembered as the most shocking elimination.

Sabrina's average score is also higher than any of the other females competing, if the girls are gonna take on the guys in this series, Sabrina is needed! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if Sabrina gets the wildcard spot, she will be the last girl standing and make the final. She may have not been that popular in Series 5 but I think her popularity has grown since then as she was chosen for the Design A Dance contest and she is remembered as the most shocking elimination.

Sabrina's average score is also higher than any of the other females competing, if the girls are gonna take on the guys in this series, Sabrina is needed! :p

I remember when she scored a perfect 30 in Week 4. My jaw dropped, she's technically amazing.

I wish they had Mya this season. She said she'd do it if asked so obviously wasn't asked. Her dances - Rumba to Lambada to Jive - were all amazing.
    Forum Member
    I agree, Mya's Salsa and Samba are two of my favourite dances ever on the show. I guess she wasn't chosen because her personality isn't as big as some of the others. She seemed to take the competition very seriously rather than having fun the whole time but that's just my opinion, nothing against her personally :)

Does anyone know if Kristi Yamaguchi was asked?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The individual scores are usually very inflated towards the end of each series, so Sabrina's average of 27 is impressive. I wonder what she'll be like now. I think it's been 5 years since she did the show.
  • Strictly_IrishStrictly_Irish Posts: 18,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn didn't win because she was cute, she won because she had one of the most spectacular freestyles ever seen on Dancing With the Stars. Lots of people who never voted her before voted for her then. The comment I heard most frequently was "She deserved it." Even Brooke IIRC.

Exactly.

Her Cha Cha in the finale was just great as well. Oh I loved Shawn :D
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Mya was dancing I wouldn't watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pairings announced:
    Pamela & Tristan
    Kelly & Val