Toshiba Satellite Laptop- Battery light orange?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

I have a new Toshiba Satellite Laptop and I always have it connected to the power supply.

The battery indicator light on the laptop normally always stays lit in a white colour, however yesterday I noticed the light had turned to an amber colour. It is not flashing- just stays an amber colour.

I have tried disconnecting the power and then switching it back on and it still stays amber. Laptop works fine.

should i worry?

thanks

Comments

• jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does the manual say about it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't find anything in the manual on what colour means what.

The only thing I have managed to find on another forum is that orange means the battery is low- however mine is charged at 95%-100% so that rules that out.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe I have overcharged it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my manual (for a 3.5 year old Toshiba) it's near the front, where it explains all the bits and pieces.

None of my lights are white, but an amber light means the battery's charging. With a fully charged battery the light's green.

I'm sure I've read that it's not a good idea to leave the battery installed if you're always connected to the mains. It's recommended to fully charge it, then take it out and keep it in the freezer. Use it and recharge it about once every six months.

Do you have a battery power indicator? Bottom right, to left of date/time.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what model of toshiba satellite is it? how old?
    have one here & it's LED's are different to typical laptops
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    It's recommended to fully charge it, then take it out and keep it in the freezer. Use it and recharge it about once every six months.

QUOTE]

Hi, just wondering where that recommendation came from?
    Regards
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    It's recommended to fully charge it, then take it out and keep it in the freezer. Use it and recharge it about once every six months.

QUOTE]

Regards

Not from here. Batteries on long term storage should be 50% charged and kept cool. There is no need to freeze them, freezing can be dangerous if you get condensation on the cell terminals and moisture shorts them when in use. Simply allowing them to return to room temperature slowly and normally would prevent this.

Freezing will not harm the cell but the discharge reduction is minimal compared to cool room temps.

With most batteries it is heat that is the enemy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regards

Just from my memory - which is clearly faulty. I think shhftw knows more about it than I do. :o
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    You should have a battery icon in the notification area (right edge) of the taskbar which will indicate the battery's charge status. (Rest your mouse pointer over the icon to see how much power remains).
  • briancbbbriancbb Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    My Toshiba power light is orange at 99% fully charged and only goes white when at 100%.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Just from my memory - which is clearly faulty. I think shhftw knows more about it than I do. :o

You were probably thinking about freezing the hard drive 'trick', I've never tried it but apparently it has limited success if trying to recover data from a dead hard drive.