TV stuck in standby mode.

VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,422
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A very basic question but my TV is stuck on standby mode. It's been off and one like this for a few weeks but now I just can’t get it to go to TV mode, and there is isn’t a button on the set itself which will do this. I brought a universal remote which seemed to do the trick for a couple of weeks but it's happening again I have two remotes which won’t switch the set on! I know this seems a very small thing but I am an OAP, at home a lot and I very much enjoy my TV. If push comes to shove I will replace the TV but wondered if anyone had any advice? Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    I guess you probably have already tried this but this happened to me the other day and I just unplugged the TV from the wall for 30 seconds and then all was well again.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    Any other electrical equipment in the room? Video senders and Christmas lights are buggers for interfering with remote control signals. As above turn the TV off at the wall while you make a nice calming cup of tea then try again with everything else in the room unplugged (and keep the lights off too, some fittings can be dodgy).
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Any other electrical equipment in the room? Video senders and Christmas lights are buggers for interfering with remote control signals. As above turn the TV off at the wall while you make a nice calming cup of tea then try again with everything else in the room unplugged (and keep the lights off too, some fittings can be dodgy).

Hi, I've tried unplugging at the wall before and it doesn't seem to work. But will try again later today. I have noticed it happens when the weather turns very cold, would this make a difference?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Temperature shouldn't have too much effect. Unless you have zero heating or watch TV outdoors :)

Forgive the stupid question but you have changed the batteries in the remote? And made sure they are the right way round?

And are you certain there is no on/off button on the TV? it would be rather unusual not to have one. Perhaps if you mention the make and model of TV it may help. There may be a manual on line to consult or someone may be aware of the particular model and give first hand advice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Temperature shouldn't have too much effect. Unless you have zero heating or watch TV outdoors :)

Forgive the stupid question but you have changed the batteries in the remote? And made sure they are the right way round?

And are you certain there is no on/off button on the TV? it would be rather unusual not to have one. Perhaps if you mention the make and model of TV it may help. There may be a manual on line to consult or someone may be aware of the particular model and give first hand advice.

Hi there. No it's not a stupid question at all but yes I have replaced the batteries on both my remotes and [when] I can get the TV on the remotes work fine on all the other functions.

Perhaps I should clarify. The TV is a Matsui, don't have model number to hand. There is a power button on the set but all this seems to do is when you switch it off the blue standby light will go out and vice versa when you switch it back on again. There is no button on the set which activates the TV from standy mode (i.e. blue button on) to actually transmitting the programme. Thanks.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try pressing one of the channel up/down buttons on the TV itself. They will be there somewhere I should think.

Also have you tried pressing one of the channel number buttons on the remote? Very often that has the same effect as pressing the On/Off button.

But it is sounding very much like the TV is cream crackered. Matsui are Currys own brand and don't exactly enjoy a high reputation. If it is fairly new you might be able to get it fixed but unless it is still covered by a warranty I suspect it will cost you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Try pressing one of the channel up/down buttons on the TV itself. They will be there somewhere I should think.

Also have you tried pressing one of the channel number buttons on the remote? Very often that has the same effect as pressing the On/Off button.

But it is sounding very much like the TV is cream crackered. Matsui are Currys own brand and don't exactly enjoy a high reputation. If it is fairly new you might be able to get it fixed but unless it is still covered by a warranty I suspect it will cost you.

Thanks for that. The TV wasn't that expensive to start and it's only just out of warranty!! Something tells me buying a new TV is my best option.

Thanks everyone who replied. Most grateful.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    If you go the new TV option then I suggest you steer clear of supermarket / electrical chain specials and get an established brand name.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    If you go the new TV option then I suggest you steer clear of supermarket / electrical chain specials and get an established brand name.

That's good advice. Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    Just been scouring internet for a similar remedy. However I've had problem with getting a Matsui M22LID618 to turn on by using the remote since I bought the thing. I called Curry's and was told to bring it back, but hadn't got the heart - I wrongly assumed things would get better, they haven't!!! Just bought an All Purpose Remote and going to spend the next several hours trying all the 'codes' until hopefully one works and I can throw out the Matsui remote.

By the way it's just taken me 2 hours to get the tv on - as it needs to be on so that I can synch up the All Purpose Remote!!!

Obviously Matsui have a problem with these models - never again!!!

PS - I took the advice of pulling the plug out of the wall and it's worked!!! Thanks!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: