BBC Cuts hit Dr Who on it's 50th Birthday.

123457»

Comments

• Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nyder wrote: »
    Believe me I really really really wish you were correct. (though I think not)

However it doesn't seem likely,. Especially as MS is off to film his new film with Ryan Gosling after he's finished filming the anniversary special.

MMMMM. Unless, of course, we have a new Doctor for the new series.

Are Toby and Damien doing anything at the moment?

They might be secretly filming series 8 as we speak, which will be shown immediately after the Anniversary Special.

All we need is for them to deny it, then we will know it's true! ;):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :mad:Have we aall got time macchines , its not even march yet aand we are well not all and not me
    i seen loads of goodd drama recenlty , mr selffriddge,call the midwife etc and whhy wouldd the bbcc whho created the show and bought ittt bacck suddenly cut it off , they be silly
    lets say they and moff and gatiss will dddo aaa great job and nott a""" it uup ok ax
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    tinny wrote: »
    :mad:Have we aall got time macchines , its not even march yet aand we are well not all and not me
    i seen loads of goodd drama recenlty , mr selffriddge,call the midwife etc and whhy wouldd the bbcc whho created the show and bought ittt bacck suddenly cut it off , they be silly
    lets say they and moff and gatiss will dddo aaa great job and nott a""" it uup ok ax

As usual tinny provides the voice of reason. The BBC have made loads of good things recently (Brian Cox cuddling lions, Howard Goodall music, Graeme Garden was the Meddling Monk on radio four extra and it was worth the licence fee alone). Whatever they're doing for Doctor Who is going to be a hoot.

edit: also - Cerys Matthews on radio six music. a splendid use of the licence fee. Hopefully she'll do a Delia Derbyshire special and we can count it as a DW programme.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    I don't know where all this "Thatcher is to blame for current Doctor Who problems" theory started?

The only person who mentioned Thatcher affecting Doctor Who in this thread is myself, and that was only to compare the current LF cuts imposed by the current shambles in government to the BBC cuts imposed by Thatcher* in 1985/86.

Both LF cuts affected Doctor Who.

*She, like her husband and the rest of the Thatcherites, was another paranoid right-wing fruitloop who saw an imaginary bias against her Government in BBC programmes. So when the BBC demanded a LF increase from £55 to £65 (claiming that they needed the money for their projects for the next year) in 1984/85, she refused. The then Home Secretary, Leon Brittan accepted that a LF raise should be granted, but only to £58 - £7 less per licence than the BBC budgeted that they needed.

Therefore costs needed to be cut - and, being one of the most expensive BBC shows coming in for some other kinds of flak, Doctor Who was right in the middle of the BBC accountants firing line . . .
    Forum Member
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    I don't know where all this "Thatcher is to blame for current Doctor Who problems" theory started?

The only person who mentioned Thatcher affecting Doctor Who in this thread is myself, and that was only to compare the current LF cuts imposed by the current shambles in government to the BBC cuts imposed by Thatcher* in 1985/86.

Both LF cuts affected Doctor Who.

*She, like her husband and the rest of the Thatcherites, was another paranoid right-wing fruitloop who saw an imaginary bias against her Government in BBC programmes. So when the BBC demanded a LF increase from £55 to £65 (claiming that they needed the money for their projects for the next year) in 1984/85, she refused. The then Home Secretary, Leon Brittan accepted that a LF raise should be granted, but only to £58 - £7 less per licence than the BBC budgeted that they needed.

Therefore costs needed to be cut - and, being one of the most expensive BBC shows coming in for some other kinds of flak, Doctor Who was right in the middle of the BBC accountants firing line . . .

....and therefore we have all the evidence we need to see that Thatcher is, indeed, to blame.
    Forum Member
    One of the things I find most appealling about Pertwee era Who is that they correctly predicted that the problems with the world would predominantly be caused by right wing fruit loops.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,926
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    One of the things I find most appealling about Pertwee era Who is that they correctly predicted that the problems with the world would predominantly be caused by right wing fruit loops.
    And I just thought it was yet another example of the well known disgraceful left-wing bias of the BBC!

(Joke ;))
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    Are you sure it wasn't the crunchy nut cornflakes (of no particular political persuasion) or the coco pops of independence?

:D
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think that needed much predicting. It was like that back then and still is. :o
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Are Toby and Damien doing anything at the moment?

They might be secretly filming series 8 as we speak, which will be shown immediately after the Anniversary Special.

All we need is for them to deny it, then we will know it's true! ;):D

Damien's in a play with Meera Syal called If You Don't Let Us Dream while Toby's doing a spy drama for BBC1 called The Game.

Still possibilities though.
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    And I just thought it was yet another example of the well known disgraceful left-wing bias of the BBC!

(Joke ;))

It's true though - Letts was a buddhist lefty real ale and Guinness drinking liberal. I love all these examples of the BBC having disgraceful left wing bias. That might be because I'm a lefty with bias though.

and I'm disgraceful (ask Granny McSmith about our Vegas trip).
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    Are you sure it wasn't the crunchy nut cornflakes (of no particular political persuasion) or the coco pops of independence?

:D

The coco pops of independence had some success in Europe but remained a fringe party. The crunchy nuts won a few council seats in white working class constituencies but were soon exposed as dimwitted opportunists. The disgraceful lefties, on the other hand, were exposed as badly biased lefties and also disgraceful. And everyone loved them and lived happily ever after.
    Forum Member
    It's all a vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly huge and proper big conspiracy. I heard that Kellogg himself was in the inner whatsit thingamy of the Illuminati....

Or was it the Methodists?

:o Damn!

I really shouldn't have said that. Don't tell anyone! Especially the disgraceful and biased lefties at the BBC.

*knock on door*

Hello?

What's that you're holding menacingly? Oh! It's a tase.....
    Forum Member
    Methodists?!
    *shakes fist*

I was blaming Thatcher for the paucity of Who episodes. But now you mention the Methodists it all fits in to place.
    Forum Member
    I'm.
    back. Now. Everthing.
    Is. Perfectly.
    OK. No.
    Con.
    Condition. Cond. Ing.
    Condition.er.
    :cry:
    I use a 2 in 1.
    Shampoo.

:):cry::mad::(:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's true though - Letts was a buddhist lefty real ale and Guinness drinking liberal. I love all these examples of the BBC having disgraceful left wing bias. That might be because I'm a lefty with bias though.

and I'm disgraceful (ask Granny McSmith about our Vegas trip).

Nebo is disgraceful. The Vegas trip was just an embarrasment. Why did he have to marry that Chinese Elvis impersonator? Or, if he had to do that, why did he make me be the bridesmaid. Dressed as a cowboy?
    Forum Member
    Nebo is disgraceful. The Vegas trip was just an embarrasment. Why did he have to marry that Chinese Elvis impersonator? Or, if he had to do that, why did he make me be the bridesmaid. Dressed as a cowboy?

But you looked so cute in your Calamity Janes. Whip crack away! Maybe we should let what happened in Vegas stay in Vegas. In case the authorities start sniffing around. (Or the Methodists.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you looked so cute in your Calamity Janes. Whip crack away! Maybe we should let what happened in Vegas stay in Vegas. In case the authorities start sniffing around. (Or the Methodists.)

Well, I must admit I had quite a nice time with your best man. I'm a sucker for a man in a stetson. And his Buntline Special was something else. ;)
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC has responded to fan complaints lamenting a lack of new Doctor Who in the show's 50th anniversary year.

Eight new episodes, plus an anniversary special filmed in 3D, will air later in 2013, but BBC Complaints responded to one fan's concerns that not enough was being done to mark the 50th.

"Thanks for your contact regarding Doctor Who broadcast on BBC One," DoctorWhoTV quotes the BBC as saying. "I understand that you feel there are insufficient programmes planned to mark the 50th anniversary of the series.

"Whilst I appreciate your concerns, we haven't announced what we have planned to mark the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who yet, but we would like to assure you that fans won't be disappointed."
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a458915/doctor-who-bbc-responds-to-fan-complaints-over-50th-anniversary.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I might have mentioned Thatcher somewhere ages ago too, sorry :)

BUT, she is to blame for all current ills, so it ... I'm not sorry really:p
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    ... while Toby's doing a spy drama for BBC1 called The Game.

Do you mean this one?

The Game will tell the story of the invisible war fought by UNIT as they battle to protect the nation from the threats of ...

Each episode will see the team uncover a new Monster of the Week to investigate, another piece of the jigsaw and another mission into the unknown.

Well they couldn't call it Torchwood this time around, could they ;)
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    "Whilst I appreciate your concerns, we haven't announced what we have planned to mark the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who yet, but we would like to assure you that fans won't be disappointed."

Unfortunately Digital Spy appear to have mangled the sequence of announcements and the emphasis you've given it in bold gives a possibly misleading interpretation. I know you like specifics.

The response to the complaint saying "we haven't announced what we have planned...yet" was sent on 7th February. This was indeed reasonably accurate as it was before 11th February when the controller of drama announced the special episode will be in 3D. So the complaint response is, by now, possibly out of date.

More hopefully: Ben Stephenson has since said the anniversary special (singular) will be "absolutely enormous".
    Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter, about the milestone that the show has reached, Ben said: "Doctor Who is an international brand, and this year marks its 50th anniversary.

"That is a really exciting moment for the BBC at home and abroad. We haven't revealed yet what we are doing, but it will be an absolutely enormous, very, very ambitious event. We hope to unite all the fans across the world."

So, he's still reminding us that full details haven't been released, but is talking about it as "the special" and "an event". I wouldn't yet start to think they intend a lot of as yet unannounced episodes.

It's so intriguing - "very, very ambitious event". It's going to be brilliant to match up to these claims. My expectations are that it will be due to the way they cover the anniversary as a celebration and the quality of the special episode.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without a quoted date on the DS report, I was not aware that it was a week old.
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Without a quoted date on the DS report, I was not aware that it was a week old.

Not your fault. Anyway, the nice thing is that Stephenson is quite sure the scale of the event will be very pleasing. Even if not in terms of episode quantity. And, of course, their secret may yet to turn out to be more episodes. I just doubt it, that's all.