The Hobbit....so Excited

Comments

• Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally im glad there is no hype,The Dark Knight Rises was massively hyped and i was left in a way disappointed by what i saw

Plus having seen what Peter brought us in the LOTR Trilogy we know it will be more than likely epic in scale
    I know it will look fantastic but I still want people to go to see it and for it to garner the acclaim it will no doubt deserve. I still think that there was far more hype over the LOTR movies a dozen or so years ago what with elven boats and Tower Guards at the Cannes Film Festival and that.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it will look fantastic but I still want people to go to see it and for it to garner the acclaim it will no doubt deserve. I still think that there was far more hype over the LOTR movies a dozen or so years ago what with elven boats and Tower Guards at the Cannes Film Festival and that.

trust me people will see this film,immaterial of what format they choose,if its not the biggest film of the year(or at least one of them) i would be very surprised

saying that Empire Magazine recently had a special edition,as has Rolling Stone magazine,this film so far has been nicely bubbling under,and will probably start noticing more hype in the coming weeks leading up to the UK Premiere
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Peter isn't infallible and his previous two films bear witness to that. As long as he stayed true to the spirit of Tolkien there wasn't much that could go drastically wrong. But with the extension of The Hobbit into a trilogy and expanding upon and adding to vague ancillary material written by the professor, well it could go drastically wrong. At its heart, The Hobbit is a whimsy adventure tale, not an epic detailing the war against Sauron's might like The Lord of the Rings. By all accounts, this is what The Hobbit has turned into; a trilogy detailing the rise of Sauron in the guise of The Necromancer and losing focus on the principle idea of the book, the growth of Bilbo as a character with his Tookish side coming to the fore, before the Baggins in him finally takes precedence.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter isn't infallible and his previous two films bear witness to that. As long as he stayed true to the spirit of Tolkien there wasn't much that could go drastically wrong. But with the extension of The Hobbit into a trilogy and expanding upon and adding to vague ancillary material written by the professor, well it could go drastically wrong. At its heart, The Hobbit is a whimsy adventure tale, not an epic detailing the war against Sauron's might like The Lord of the Rings. By all accounts, this is what The Hobbit has turned into; a trilogy detailing the rise of Sauron in the guise of The Necromancer and losing focus on the principle idea of the book, the growth of Bilbo as a character with his Tookish side coming to the fore, before the Baggins in him finally takes precedence.

On the contrary, I think expanding the films will make it easier to fully realise the book and develop the characters FAR more than Tolkien did (at least in his original writings). The Dwarves come across as pure comedy in the book, and while there will still be plenty of that, the more serious tone of their story and Dwarven history is definitely welcome into these films. Simply making that 'whimsical' Hobbit children's story would be such a wasted opportunity...

What Peter Jackson is doing is bringing Tolkien's rich world to the screen. Nothing I've seen so far of this project has shown anything different. You could argue that the invented character of Tauriel (a female Elf) is going against Tolkien, but I don't think so at all. If Tolkien had written The Hobbit later, or expanded upon it, there's every chance he would have included a female character.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    On the contrary, I think expanding the films will make it easier to fully realise the book and develop the characters FAR more than Tolkien did (at least in his original writings). The Dwarves come across as pure comedy in the book, and while there will still be plenty of that, the more serious tone of their story and Dwarven history is definitely welcome into these films. Simply making that 'whimsical' Hobbit children's story would be such a wasted opportunity...

What Peter Jackson is doing is bringing Tolkien's rich world to the screen. Nothing I've seen so far of this project has shown anything different. You could argue that the invented character of Tauriel (a female Elf) is going against Tolkien, but I don't think so at all. If Tolkien had written The Hobbit later, or expanded upon it, there's every chance he would have included a female character.
    A whimsical fairy tale with a different style and tone is exactly what Guillermo del Toro was aiming at and it's a shame we'll never see his vision of Middle-earth realised. No director should have a monopoly on Tolkien's work.

As for Tolkien, he did attempt to rewrite The Hobbit. He abandoned the project at the advise of an unnamed friend and then carried on trying to perfect The Silmarillion, but the most he would have done is change the style it was written in as he wasn't at all fond of the sarcastic tone of the narrator and a little more detail here and there as evidenced by the first few chapters of the 1960 Hobbit, from that point on the narrative trails off but there are a few draft plot notes detailing what he may have added and how he would have continued the story. Nothing about female characters though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member

All great but when people who loved the film decide to read the book they are going to be really disappointed when it's nothing like the film and the Dwarves are pure comedy.

There is nothing wrong with making a 'whimsical' Hobbit film if that is what the book is.

People are going to see it not because it will garner acclaim that it may or not deserve but purely because they liked the LOTR films and equally as importantly there is naff all else to see. Twilight will have been and gone, there's no Narnia film, no Potter film. You have one-day or very short re-releases of A Muppet Christmas Carol, Gremlins and The Shining but otherwise it's got no competition.

trust me people will see this film,immaterial of what format they choose,if its not the biggest film of the year(or at least one of them) i would be very surprised

saying that Empire Magazine recently had a special edition,as has Rolling Stone magazine,this film so far has been nicely bubbling under,and will probably start noticing more hype in the coming weeks leading up to the UK Premiere

It will be one of the biggest films of the year, but IMO won't beat either The Avengers it may top the Batman Rises or whatever it was called.

This film like Batman Rises has no interest for me. I'll probably see it one day to be sociable for a friend the same way I finally saw The Dark Knight this year as a I was at a friends and heand others wanted to watch it so I went along with it rather than be awkward. If I hadn't have been there that would still be on the list of films never seen or cared that I haven't seen it.

Had The Hobbit been faithful to the book, not in 2 parts to fleece more money from people and not directed by and had any conection with Peter Jackson I may have been interested, but this is a stay away from film as I know it's not for me.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Snipped

It will be one of the biggest films of the year, but IMO won't beat either The Avengers it may top the Batman Rises or whatever it was called.

Snipped.

I sincerely hope it does. I sat through The Avengers thinking, well this is ok but its hardly mind blowing stuff.

I still think LOTR is the greatest cinematic experience I have ever had and I will be hugely disappointed if I sit there thinking there are better things I can do with my money.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's getting silly now- 3 weeks to go and none of the big 3 chains have old us where the 48fps showings are (Cineworld have said it will be in 25 of their cinemas, but haven't said which 25. Vue & Odeon haven't told us anything). Only Showcase have published where they'll be showing it. Plenty of European cinema chains have made their announcements now- why are those of us in the UK getting such a raw deal with lack of news? The chains seem to be saying it's lack on information from WB, if so, why aren't they confirming anything?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    It's getting silly now- 3 weeks to go and none of the big 3 chains have old us where the 48fps showings are (Cineworld have said it will be in 25 of their cinemas, but haven't said which 25. Vue & Odeon haven't told us anything). Plenty of European cinema chains have made their announcements now- why are those of us in the UK getting such a raw deal with lack of news?

my local Cineworld tweeted me that he might have some news on the HFR front later in the week,apparently their biggest screen is getting a 4K Upgrade in the next two weeks,so its more than likely that HFR will be done at the same time
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    It's getting silly now- 3 weeks to go and none of the big 3 chains have old us where the 48fps showings are (Cineworld have said it will be in 25 of their cinemas, but haven't said which 25. Vue & Odeon haven't told us anything). Only Showcase have published where they'll be showing it. Plenty of European cinema chains have made their announcements now- why are those of us in the UK getting such a raw deal with lack of news? The chains seem to be saying it's lack on information from WB, if so, why aren't they confirming anything?

As annoying as it is, it's not that unusual for cinemas to hold something back until the last minute. Most films are merely added to the cinema website a week before their release. I know that tickets for The Hobbit have been on sale for a few weeks now, but i'm not surprised that they aren't forthcoming on where the 48fps screenings are, they'll probably not know for sure until the prints are delivered/ordered.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would also still want to know how much is shot in IMAX? I understand that most modern films only have had excerpts in IMAX? Like Batman?

PJ
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    I would also still want to know how much is shot in IMAX? I understand that most modern films only have had excerpts in IMAX? Like Batman?

PJ

none as far as im aware its gone through the IMAX DMR process,which all converted films get,but the conversion will have been made from the original 4K master
    Forum Member

PJ

None of The Hobbit was filmed in IMAX, it will be an IMAX conversion like Prometheus and Skyfall. I'd still go for an IMAX showing over a regular screen though, i've seen lots of IMAX conversions since my local Cineworld opened an IMAX (Digital) screen in March, and i've been very impressed with everything i've seen on the screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    none as far as im aware its gone through the IMAX DMR process,which all converted films get,but the conversion will have been made from the original 4K master
    CJClarke wrote: »
    None of The Hobbit was filmed in IMAX, it will be an IMAX conversion like Prometheus and Skyfall. I'd still go for an IMAX showing over a regular screen though, i've seen lots of IMAX conversions since my local Cineworld opened an IMAX (Digital) screen in March, and i've been very impressed with everything i've seen on the screen.

Thanks guys. I was just not impressed by hearing of films that open up for the IMAX scenes then close back again. Or did I dream that? :p

PJ

ETA I wish they would advertise it as upscaled. It reminds me of 3D films that have been converted.
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys. I was just not impressed by hearing of films that open up for the IMAX scenes then close back again. Or did I dream that? :p

PJ

ETA I wish they would advertise it as upscaled. It reminds me of 3D films that have been converted.

The Dark Knight Rises does that "opening up" thing fo the IMAX scenes, but it honeslty isn't annoying and i wouldn't let that put you off seeing an IMAX film.

Likewise, an IMAX conversion is nothing like a lacklustre 3D conversion, even an IMAX conversion still looks quite stunning on that massive screen. It's still well worth the extra money in my opinion:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dark Knight Rises does that "opening up" thing fo the IMAX scenes, but it honeslty isn't annoying and i wouldn't let that put you off seeing an IMAX film.

Likewise, an IMAX conversion is nothing like a lacklustre 3D conversion, even an IMAX conversion still looks quite stunning on that massive screen. It's still well worth the extra money in my opinion:)

Thanks. I was beginning to regret booking my IMAX tickets so that puts my mind at rest.

PJ
  • Tavis75Tavis75 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are any cinemas showing the normal version of the film? I've checked the websites for 5 local cinemas (2 Vue, 2 Showcase and a Cineworld) and the only options are for 3D or HFR 3D.

Really wanted to go and watch it on release night as I loved the LOTR films but can wait if I have to I guess, are cinemas likely to start showing the normal version later in the run? Maybe I'll just have to start reading up on Bit Torrent ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you get grumpy when you see things broadcast in colour too, or with music mixed in stereo?

Evolve or die, your choice.

The thing with those is that they add benefits without taking anything away (you could argue that black and white can add atmosphere in some films I guess, but that's more of a stylistic choice)

3D obviously adds the 3D effect, but at the expense of brightness\constrast and causing that weird shimmering effect. If you went to a 2D film and the picture looked as bad as it does on a 3D film you'd most likely walk out and ask for a refund. 3D is a nice idea, but the technology really doesn't seem to be up to the job yet.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tavis75 wrote: »
    The thing with those is that they add benefits without taking anything away (you could argue that black and white can add atmosphere in some films I guess, but that's more of a stylistic choice)

3D obviously adds the 3D effect, but at the expense of brightness\constrast and causing that weird shimmering effect. If you went to a 2D film and the picture looked as bad as it does on a 3D film you'd most likely walk out and ask for a refund. 3D is a nice idea, but the technology really doesn't seem to be up to the job yet.

I don't get your point, the post I had quoted was referring to HFR as an awful soap opera look, or words to that effect, when the poster has in all likelyhood not seen HFR cinema in action yet.

HFR does add benefits, and I have yet to be convinced that it takes anything away, ever since cinema went digital there's been an issue with high-speed motion blur, particularly since 3D came along, this is something HFR can fix. Which is the first step to making 3D bearable to me, the next is to somehow get rid of the glasses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get your point, the post I had quoted was referring to HFR as an awful soap opera look, or words to that effect, when the poster has in all likelyhood not seen HFR cinema in action yet.

HFR does add benefits, and I have yet to be convinced that it takes anything away, ever since cinema went digital there's been an issue with high-speed motion blur, particularly since 3D came along, this is something HFR can fix. Which is the first step to making 3D bearable to me, the next is to somehow get rid of the glasses.

My mistake, I thought you were talking about 3D, though it sounds like you dislike that for a lot of the same reasons I do!

I will be waiting and seeing with HFR, though bit of a dilemma with the fact that the Hobbit doesn't look like it's being shown in 2D anywhere near me (in either 24fps or HFR), so if I want to go and see it it will have to be the 3D version. Meaning that I'd have to put up with the 3D version and my first viewing of HFR on a film that I'm really looking forward too, which I'm worried could spoil the film as even if I like the HFR effect, I still have the 3D to contend with!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mistake, I thought you were talking about 3D, though it sounds like you dislike that for a lot of the same reasons I do!

I will be waiting and seeing with HFR, though bit of a dilemma with the fact that the Hobbit doesn't look like it's being shown in 2D anywhere near me (in either 24fps or HFR), so if I want to go and see it it will have to be the 3D version. Meaning that I'd have to put up with the 3D version and my first viewing of HFR on a film that I'm really looking forward too, which I'm worried could spoil the film as even if I like the HFR effect, I still have the 3D to contend with!

the HFR gets rid of the strobing effect in 3D,also if you have an IMAX nearby,it removes a lot of the dimming also
    Forum Member

I must be fairly lucky because while i've read widespread reports of this lack of brightness/contrast and "shimmering" in 3D films, i've never actually encountered it myself, the only exception being possibly Piranha 3DD but that was more to do with the film being a dark film anyway. Most competent cinemas will increase the brightness of their projectors for a 3D film in order to compensate for the darker image when viewed through the glasses (doing this reduces the life of the bulb though, which is probably why some cinemas don't do it). That said, IMAX 3D is leaps and bounds better than regular RealD 3D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be fairly lucky because while i've read widespread reports of this lack of brightness/contrast and "shimmering" in 3D films, i've never actually encountered it myself, the only exception being possibly Piranha 3DD but that was more to do with the film being a dark film anyway. Most competent cinemas will increase the brightness of their projectors for a 3D film in order to compensate for the darker image when viewed through the glasses (doing this reduces the life of the bulb though, which is probably why some cinemas don't do it). That said, IMAX 3D is leaps and bounds better than regular RealD 3D.

Cant say ive ever really noticed it myself either,i also agree that it depends on the cinema and if they do what is usually needed to the projector to increase the brightness
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Vue website now has a page for The Hobbit in HFR 3D, but isn't listing any cinemas yet: http://www.myvue.com/latest-movies/info/cinema/Sheffield/film/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-3d-hfr
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder when we will be able to pre order tickets.