Silver Linings

Comments

• Geri69Geri69 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasnt a fan. Its something I would have watched on a rainy Sunday aftermoon if I had nothing better to do, but it wasnt my type of movie.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could this get the Best Picture Oscar?

Any predictions for any other awards at all? :)
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So delighted De Niro got a nod :D

Despite some poor films over the last couple years he is still the best actor of all time (of course in my opinion) so really hope he can get his 3rd oscar
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Could this get the Best Picture Oscar?

Any predictions for any other awards at all? :)

Best Actress is still its best shot at the Oscars with Supporting Actor not far behind. I can't see it winning BP.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this today

Amazing film. Jennifer is incredible. Give her the oscar

Bradley is sensational. Give him the oscar. The strongest male performance i have seen since Ryan Gosling's Blue valentine.

Robert Di Niro and Jackie Weaver are brilliant in the supporting roles.

This film hit home for me on a huge personal level. Such an incredible film. Deserves loads of awards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Moe's tavern;62640151
    It will be interesting to see how mental health charities react to it though, as it is used somewhat as a way of making the characters behave a little wackily, so not quite the most sensitive of portrayals.

Review here.[/QUOTE]

From what I've read, it seems to have positive reviews about its portrayal of mental health.

However, since he has bi-polar, I was surprised that there weren't any depressive phases in the film - the focus was on the manic. I think maybe Homeland shows the two spectrums of the illness better...
  • Mart_UKMart_UK Posts: 2,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant film, such great cast+chemistry. Jennifer Lawrence stood out for me, but every did very well. Hope they get some Oscars :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mart_UK wrote: »
    Brilliant film, such great cast+chemistry. Jennifer Lawrence stood out for me, but every did very well. Hope they get some Oscars :D

Jennifer's scenes with Robert were amazing - she totally stood up to him in the acting stakes! I was really impressed.

Loved Bradley too - I'm so glad he's getting recognised for his serious acting now
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Jennifer's scenes with Robert were amazing - she totally stood up to him in the acting stakes! I was really impressed.

Loved Bradley too - I'm so glad he's getting recognised for his serious acting now
    This was in the category, Comedy/Musical at the GG's,:confused:..... But pleased Jennifer Lawrence won, best thing about the Film and a great speech too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh her speech was brilliant
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Watched this yesterday, thankfully I found a cinema close by still showing it, it was good but I didn't love it. Jennifer Lawrence was as brilliant as expected, great performances from the rest of the cast as well. I agree with those who said her best scenes were with Robert De Niro, who was excellent as well. I'll have to wait until I've seen the other 4 performances from the Supporting Actor nominees, but his performance will take some beating imo.

I thought it was an improvement on the book, which I didn't like at all hence why the massive chances didn't bother me as they normally do with book adaptations. Pat was much more likeable in the film, thanks to both Bradley Cooper and the general rom-comifying of the book. Also, I didn't realise just how much had changed from the book until I read the wiki on the way home, it's like they're two completely separate things. Most changes were for the better, but I think the ending was a bit too easy, Pat realising Tiffany wrote the letter and just being ok with it, not being as angry as he had been over much smaller things. It was all a bit "is that it?" and an anticlimax imo.

I would like to watch it again before the Oscars but I doubt I'll be able to, because I think I was a little biased from not liking the book so will probably enjoy it a lot more on the second watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Jennifer is wise with her career roles after this film. She has established herself in a new franchise as the title character, but also being able to do low budget critically acclaimed films like Winters Bone and Silver Linings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Watched this yesterday, thankfully I found a cinema close by still showing it, it was good but I didn't love it. Jennifer Lawrence was as brilliant as expected, great performances from the rest of the cast as well. I agree with those who said her best scenes were with Robert De Niro, who was excellent as well. I'll have to wait until I've seen the other 4 performances from the Supporting Actor nominees, but his performance will take some beating imo.

I thought it was an improvement on the book, which I didn't like at all hence why the massive chances didn't bother me as they normally do with book adaptations. Pat was much more likeable in the film, thanks to both Bradley Cooper and the general rom-comifying of the book. Also, I didn't realise just how much had changed from the book until I read the wiki on the way home, it's like they're two completely separate things. Most changes were for the better, but I think the ending was a bit too easy, Pat realising Tiffany wrote the letter and just being ok with it, not being as angry as he had been over much smaller things. It was all a bit "is that it?" and an anticlimax imo.

I would like to watch it again before the Oscars but I doubt I'll be able to, because I think I was a little biased from not liking the book so will probably enjoy it a lot more on the second watch.

I'm hoping it will be released on DVD soon - hopefully it will be by March.

I wonder what will happen with Bradley's roles now? He's already in another film (A Place Beyond the Pines) which is supposed to be another career-best performance, so it's going to be interesting what he does.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this. What a delightful film. I don't like rom-coms by any stretch of the imagination, but I can admit when a film is good, and this is really good.

People are talking about Lawrence, and I admit she was excellent, but I can't look past Bradley Cooper's performance. I had only previously seen him in The Hangover (a comedy of course) and Limitless (which I thought sucked) so I was surprised and delighted to see him deliver an exquisite performance here. The chemistry between the two main leads was there too.

In fact, the whole ensemble worked wonderfully I thought. Robert De Niro, Jackie Weaver and Chris Tucker all stood out too.
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMDB says Angelina Jolie and Anne Hathaway were considered for the lead in this. It wouldn't have been half as good if that were the case. Quality movie, Jennifer Lawrence was brilliant.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know, it was good but nothing special. It seemed to be saying 'You are not worth much unless you are in a relationship'.

Plus the portrayal of mental health wasn't exactly good for those with mental health conditions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's released on DVD on April 1st :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finally got around to watching this after reading the book some time ago.

In terms of the Oscars, I think its Bradley Cooper's best performance to date, but I believe there are one or two more deserving Best Actor nominees (Joaquin Phoenix in particular - although I'm pretty sure he doesn't stand a chance this year).

Jennifer Lawrence was great but she'll have stiff competition from Emanuelle Riva and Jessica Chastain. She has a better chance than Cooper though.

I don't think Robert De Niro was particularly Oscar-worthy in this role, although I did enjoy his scenes with Lawrence.

All in all, a really great film, but there is a danger of it being completely overlooked at the Oscars.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's up for a lot of Oscars - more than at the Baftas and the Golden Globes so I think it will win at least a couple. I hope so anyway :)
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got around to seeing this today and really loved it. I thought Jennifer Lawrence was sensational and I'll be disappointed if she doesn't win Best Actress on Sunday.

Cooper was also brilliant, though he won't win. De Niro was fine, but I don't think his performance was worthy of a win.

I hope it'll pick up an Oscar for Lawrence and possibly Adapted Screenplay, but I don't think it'll win Best Picture.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pre ordered the dvd

Just dawned on me Jennifer own her golden globe for the comedy genre. The film had it's funny moments but her performance or the subject matter were not funny at all. It was a dramatic performance. I wonder if they put her in that category because of Jessica Chastain. They did the same with Michelle Williams last year.
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Pre ordered the dvd

Just dawned on me Jennifer own her golden globe for the comedy genre. The film had it's funny moments but her performance or the subject matter were not funny at all. It was a dramatic performance. I wonder if they put her in that category because of Jessica Chastain. They did the same with Michelle Williams last year.

The movie is a dramatic comedy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations to Jennifer for her Oscar :D