The Walking Dead S3 (US Pace)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Early predictions for Season 4 then?

I reckon (and i've never read the comics so its all just opinion):

- They might introduce a love interest for Rick? Possibly Michonne or the lady that survived the Governor's massacre? It's a mainly male dominated cast now so I think they need a strong female lead now too

- Melissa McBride to finally make it into the title sequence??

- Now Carl seems to have taken the loose cannon role from Rick I can see some of the group turning against him, maybe the Governor will use that to his advantage?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    To answer the point about the effort required to kill the zombies. Am I right in thinking it's because those long dead are badly decomposed so not much effort required whereas the newly dead, like Milton, are stronger and harder to kill?

Sorry if I wasn't completely clear.
    My point was more that the apparent lack of effort is just one example of them seeming to get a bit "lazy" with the effects.

I've seen bits where, for example, Mishone is stabbing a zombie through the head and you see her make the thrust then her arm stops moving and then the sword appears out through the other side of the zombie's head.
    There was one segment of E15, IIRC, where somebody took a swing at a zombie which didn't even look like it connected but then a big lump of the zombie's head just conveniently seemed to fall off.

It's actually a compliment to the usual standard of the series that these flaws can be so jarringly obvious when they do happen.

I dunno, maybe it's just me that's noticing it or maybe they're just killing more zombies in recent episodes so it's more noticeable but, as I said, it seems (to me, at least) like they're just getting a bit cocky with the effects and displaying them more overtly where they're more open to scrutiny, rather than using lighting or camera positions to keep things a bit more ambiguous.

*EDIT*
    FWIW, I read somewhere that they deliberately used darker make-up for the zombies in season 3 to imply that they'd been dead longer and were decaying so I guess the makers DO consider that the condition of the corpses would be deteriorating and making them easier to kill but that wasn't really what I was referring to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    DEADLY_17 wrote: »
    I wish people would stop moaning about how there was a lack of Ricks group being killed. There was enough kills imo i mean The Governor killed his entire crew except for his 2 Henchmen. We had the 2 main Deaths Milton and Andrea.

That's what I enjoyed about the finale. It went completely against my expectations. I was expecting a slaughter with half of Rick's group being gunned down (deaths being Hershel, Beth, Carol and maybe Glenn) and The Governor being killed at the end. But then the complete opposite ended up happening- Rick's group actually won the prison assault, and The Governor is still alive. Very surprising I thought, and I'm interested to see where the storyline goes from here because it's HUGELY removed from the comic storyline now.

I thought the finale had it's fair share of shocking moments too. Most notably The Governor slaughtering his own people; Milton's and Andrea's deaths and Carl shooting that kid. I'm completely stumped as to why the Governor's folk decided to move from the town to a prison...a prison that's slightly infested with walkers and has had it's defenses destroyed in a recent attack. Where's the logic in that?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *sobs* farewell Andrea

Excellent season finale.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

Also, while I'm at it, it's kinda bugging me how many people seem to be getting all bent out of shape over Daryl getting cosy with Carol. Some of the comments I've read are banging on about how such "an old woman shouldn't be hitting on a young guy".
    Geez, Melissa McBride is 4 years older than Norman Reedus.
    Hardly cradle-robbing.
    Nobody seemed to mind when Jimmy Stewart was shacking up with Grace kelly in Rear Window and he was twenty years older than she was.

As I write this I'm getting an inkling I may have mentioned this before so excuse me if I'm repeating myself but it does bug me cos I think Melissa McBride is cute and it seems a bit unfair. :o

Melissa is absolutely beautiful. Norman Reedus sings her praises in every interview he does. There is no denying their chemistry at all.
  • airfixairfix Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was a good end to the season, which has been some of the best TV.

The only problem I have with some TV shows like this, is the amount of times there have been gun battles and hardly anyone gets killed.

Are guns really that bad for aiming?

Just for once I'd like to see a real gun battle and see how many people seem to avoid the hundreds and thousands of bullets flying around.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    It was a good end to the season, which has been some of the best TV.

The only problem I have with some TV shows like this, is the amount of times there have been gun battles and hardly anyone gets killed.

Are guns really that bad for aiming?

Just for once I'd like to see a real gun battle and see how many people seem to avoid the hundreds and thousands of bullets flying around.

I said the same thing earlier.

Here we have 2 groups of people who manage to survive by shooting zombies through the head on a day to day basis and yet, when they're involved in a firefight, NOBODY gets hurt. At all?

It's like watching an episode of The A-Team.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I said the same thing earlier.

Here we have 2 groups of people who manage to survive by shooting zombies through the head on a day to day basis and yet, when they're involved in a firefight, NOBODY gets hurt. At all?

It's like watching an episode of The A-Team.

They need more 'Red Shirts' on shows like this.

They must have used them all up on the Governor's turkey shoot.
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    I'm just sad about Andrea. I was always rooting for her as a character.

I expected more deaths from team prison tbh. Glad the Governor is still alive though, it would have been too predictable to just have a villain every season and then kill them off in the finale.

Carl is a little bit dead inside now isn't he? I think he is Rick's biggest struggle going forward. Trying to reach the shred of humanity that remains within his son.

I'm in love with Michonne. I hope she finds some sort of happiness in next season.

Daryl and Carol should just hump already.

Is the prison now like a day care centre for the elderly and the vulnerable? Not sure how this is going to work going forward.

All in all a good finale but an excellent season.

This post sums up all the points raised in the finale.

Andrea finally succumbed to Dale's philosophy of negotiating, instead of Shane's shoot first ask questions later. Having divided loyalty didn't help her cause and ultimately ended her life.

Carl seemed to annoy me in previous seasons, what with his running off into the woods to find and liberate the walker who killed Dale or his disrespectful attitude to his elders. But annoying as it may seem, it was necessary. He's now as fearless as he needs to be to get supplies\kill walkers.
    Am I the only person who thinks Carl was right to kill the Woodbury boy? The boy was lowering his gun while moving forward, a clear sign he meant to take his chances with Carl and Hershel.
    If this show has taught us anything, is being good often leads to unintended, harmful consequences.

If a civilisation is judged on how it treats it's vulnerable members, then Rick's ambitions are plain to see. The group who captured Glenn were tough as nails until we see the elderly patients they were tending to. Rick knew he could trust them in that instance. Surely this is the environment he wants his daughter to grow up in.

The prison deaths were minimised because of Merle's sacrifice. He killed many of the Governor's experienced fighters, leaving the militia who stormed the prison. They weren't mentally prepare for close quarter combat with walkers. They'd fallen into the trap the lone prisoner had sprung on the team some months earlier. The team is learning from bad experiences which shows they're evolving as a unit.

What did surprise me was the Governor's arsenal. He took out the turrets in the first wave and did a number on the prison walls. No point defending against it.

I honestly can't wait for next season. This season ends and Game of Thrones begins. We've never had it so good. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep... this show has undeniably become as lost as "Lost". A sprawling pointless mess. Completely incoherent and inconsistent. The characters have no character to speak of, so every situation is just another really cheap exercise in farcical tension and suspense.

With any luck you wont watch it next season, to spare yourself and us these rants.
  • Bad Wolf 525Bad Wolf 525 Posts: 5,552
    Forum Member
    I have mixed emotions about the finale

First of all, I feel Andrea was cheated in her death. I'm not surprised that she died, but I'm not happy in the way she died.
    Andrea is a strong character who has taken out numerous amount of zombies, and we are suppose to believe that one zombie took her down. Sorry but I don't buy that. I would believe it more if she didn't have both hands free, but she did. Also I don't believe that she would just stop trying to free herself to have a chat with Milton.

I would have been happier if Andrea went out fighting, while she was trying to save somebody else. That's the death I think she deserved.

I did find her final moments with Michonne, Rick and Daryl very moving. The saving grace in her death IMHO

Little Carl!!! Again I find myself with mixed emotions here too. On one hand I agree with Hershel and on the other I agree with Carl. It is the world he is living in. Children are a product of their environment. I found the scene where he is explaining himself to Rick moving. He made some valid points and not to mention he watched his dad and Michonne leave a hitchhiker on the side of the road for death. He is only doing what he has learned.

Rick is back, or so it seems to me. Very happy about this. I have missed him most of this season and it's good to see the Rick I know. I understand why he went crazy this season and I think it played well, but I'm glad it seems to be behind him now. I'm very happy that he brought the people of Woodbury to the prison. He has seen what he has taught Carl and he is trying to rectify that.

At first I didn't understand why Rick chose to stay at the prison instead of Woodbury, but I think it makes sense now. First of all, it's his home. Second I think it's easier to guard and lock down. Thirdly the Governor knows Woodbury like the back of his hand. At least that's what I am thinking....could be wrong.

The Governor is still on the loose. Don't really know what I think about this, other than I think it sucks. I was waiting to watch him get it :D But he didn't :mad: I was a bit surprised to watch him take out all of his men, but at the same time, the man is nuts, so not all that shocking. I look forward to see what comes of him next season.

All in all not a bad finale. I like that it was so different to last season's finale. It keeps it fresh and exciting for me
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    With any luck you wont watch it next season, to spare yourself and us these rants.

We live in hope.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    No worries about comic spoilers from here on in; the show is pretty much 180 degrees different now in terms of survivors and cast makeup.
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    msfit wrote: »
    No worries about comic spoilers from here on in; the show is pretty much 180 degrees different now in terms of survivors and cast makeup.

Yup. I do like how different things are from the comics in terms of characters and death. It makes everything a little less predictable for those who read the comics. :)
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Facepalm wrote: »
    I'm interested to see where the storyline goes from here because it's HUGELY removed from the comic storyline now.

Tyrese is back in place, though, and so can become second in command.
    I'm completely stumped as to why the Governor's folk decided to move from the town to a prison...a prison that's slightly infested with walkers and has had it's defenses destroyed in a recent attack. Where's the logic in that?!

Defences are not destroyed, merely shot up. Nothing that can't be quickly repaired. The prison is always, by its nature, going to be a more secure place. Besides which, the psycho Governor is out there, and may walk back into Woodbury at any time. Who would want to wait around for that to happen, once they knew he'd killed his own people?
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carl has forgotten how to be a kid. They may change with the arrival of the others.

Or he may kill them one by one in their beds at night.

He could go either way.
    Forum Member
    Nope. The scene was not ambiguous. The scene was intended to illustrate how Carl is disturbed. The scene was meant to show how cold-blooded the kid has become; that something is wrong with him.

Um...yes it was ambiguous. The entire way that scene was staged was to provoke debate...was Carl in the right in that situation (because the other kid was not putting his gun down and was probably going to try something) or is Carl becoming a cold blooded killer. Did he kill for the right or wrong reasons? That is what is ambiguous about the scene, and is why I've seen people debating Carl's actions on numerous message boards. The fact you're debating this highlights this very fact.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Nope. The scene was not ambiguous. The scene was intended to illustrate how Carl is disturbed. The scene was meant to show how cold-blooded the kid has become; that something is wrong with him.

But he was right. He couldn't take the chance with someone who, moments before had been trying to kill his group. He was also right in saying if Rick had acted before, other deaths probably including that of his mother would have been avoided.

In the world as depicted, if in doubt the rule has to be blow its head off!
  • SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WARNING: If you haven't seen the finale, common sense would dictate that you DO NOT READ the article. :p

Below is the link to an interview between Robert Kirkman and The Hollywood Reporter regarding the season finale as well as the whole of Season Three of The Walking Dead. Enjoy the read. :)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-season-3-finale-interview-robert-kirkman-431968

I found another interview between Robert Kirkman & TVGuide.com. This one gives you a taste of what to expect in Season Four.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Walking-Dead-Robert-Kirkman-Season3-Finale-Spoilers-Death-Season4-1063406.aspx
    Forum Member
    Tyrese is back in place, though, and so can become second in command.

Defences are not destroyed, merely shot up. Nothing that can't be quickly repaired. The prison is always, by its nature, going to be a more secure place. Besides which, the psycho Governor is out there, and may walk back into Woodbury at any time. Who would want to wait around for that to happen, once they knew he'd killed his own people?

I'm glad Tyrese is with the prison gang now...I wonder if there'll be confrontation between him and Rick's other second in command Daryl?

I can't agree with your comments about the prison though...the towers were blown to smithereens with a grenade launcher and that's not easily fixed surely. Also, the threat of the Governor would still hang over you whether you're in the prison or Woodbury. Just seems like an odd decision to me. Speaking of the prison, I hope they begin turning the prison into more of home in Season 4- for example, in the comics they begin farming and growing crops there. In this season, it's mainly been just hiding out in the prison. I hope they soon begin to turn it into more of a community now.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carl walking in his Daddy's shoes now .. Shane ;)
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well that was boring. Somehow TWD has made zombies boring.

If their isn't an evolution in the zombies, Season 4 will die a slow death.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well that was boring. Somehow TWD has made zombies boring.

If their isn't an evolution in the zombies, Season 4 will die a slow death.
    The zombies are now most defintely the sideshow and not the main event. :o
  • Hugh LetdownHugh Letdown Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact you're debating this highlights this very fact.

I'm not debating it at all. I've simply told you how wrong you are and that you ought to learn to pay attention.

I'll tell you something else too: on the internet there are scads and scads of fools who will argue anything. There are the religious; there are right-wingers; there are bigots and boneheads and bozos...

Every now and then I may tell them off, but I certainly don't bother "debating" any of them. ~XD