Can anyone recommend me a good (recent) RPG for 360/PS3?

MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I say recent coz I've played the old classics like many of the Final Fantasy games, Dragon Age and Lost Odyssey.
I want to sink my teeth into a new one.
I also played Skyrim but didn't like it at all.
Any recommendations would be much appreciated:)

Comments

• BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only recent one I've played is Skyrim.

I expect you've played it though.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only recent one I've played is Skyrim.

I expect you've played it though.

Thanks for responding but yeah I just edited my post to include Skyrim.
    I didn't enjoy it as I prefer a proper structured story to invest in and Skyrim doesn't offer that.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Thanks for responding but yeah I just edited my post to include Skyrim.
    I didn't enjoy it as I prefer a proper structured story to invest in and Skyrim doesn't offer that.

Ah cool. I loved Skyrim, I thought it was ace. I do wish Square Enix would release more FF titles at a faster pace though (and not anymore set in the world of FFXIII).

But yea, I too am interested to know of any good RPGs for the ps3 or even the Nintendo DS.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. A great RPG.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. A great RPG.

Thanks. I'll look that one up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I've only tried the demo, but Ni No Kuni looks excellent. Might be more you kind of thing if you prefer Japanese RPGs.

If you have a PS3 try the demo.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fallout 3 has a good story imo. Its more of an action RPG though. The RPG style(levelling up, perks, conversation with NPC's etc) is similar to skyrim....but with a better story I think.
    Its very free roaming , you can go anywhere in the game as soon as you get past the intro stages.
    It's maybe a bit to FPS style in action for a classic RPG player though, although it does have a turn based system called "Vats" for combat, which you can use as well as normal fps style combat.
    If you do all the side missions and DLC's(GOTY edition has all of them) , you can over 100 hours gameplay easily.
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get the Mass Effect Trilogy.

Awesome games, and well worth the price IMO. :)
  • gothergother Posts: 14,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dragons Dogma on ps3 + 360
    Fallout 3
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fallout 3 is very similar to Skyrim, if you didn't like Skyrim you may not like Fallout, I guess it depends on your reasons. Mass effect trilogy is a good shout.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got very sucked into Kigdoms of Amular: Reckoning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotelier wrote: »
    Fallout 3 has a good story imo. Its more of an action RPG though. The RPG style(levelling up, perks, conversation with NPC's etc) is similar to skyrim....but with a better story I think.
    Its very free roaming , you can go anywhere in the game as soon as you get past the intro stages.
    It's maybe a bit to FPS style in action for a classic RPG player though, although it does have a turn based system called "Vats" for combat, which you can use as well as normal fps style combat.
    If you do all the side missions and DLC's(GOTY edition has all of them) , you can over 100 hours gameplay easily.
    Main drawback is its seriously boring
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does the OP class as a 'proper structured story'?

I'd throw in another vote for Amalur but it might be too 'unstructured' for the OP. Witcher 2 was fun but I know a lot of people who got bored of it very quickly, despite the full on sex and violence :D
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dark Souls although I am finding it tedious but compelling, and cant stop playing it ! hmm
  • JamesbucJamesbuc Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    Throwing in some here

Retail
    - Blue Dragon
    - Eternal Sonata

Arcade
    - Faery: Legends of Avalon
    - Penny Arcade series

Xbox Indie Games
    - Cthulthu Saves the World + Breath of Death VII (80MSP each)
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    Main drawback is its seriously boring
    I disagree..I never found it boring at all..Its my fav game of all time..I still love playing it.
    Each to their own though etc etc...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Comments

Fallout 3 is good and has a story and you can free roam and divert from it, BTW Skyrim annoys me so that is one thing.

Mass Effect, only played 2 (PS3) and part of 1 (Steam) (as I still have to finish some Valve games first on the PC) ME2 is excellent.

But how about Dishonored, you level up your character, you have a number of missions (5 I think) you can play them so many different ways, no kills or slaughter every baddy. I would suggest giving it a go, and it is mainly story lead.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dishonored is a very good game but I wouldn't call it an RPG. It has RPG elements, the same can be said about Far Cry 3...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    What does the OP class as a 'proper structured story'?

I'd throw in another vote for Amalur but it might be too 'unstructured' for the OP. Witcher 2 was fun but I know a lot of people who got bored of it very quickly, despite the full on sex and violence :D

I guess games that are story-focused and character driven. I found Skyrim hard to get into because of the lack of this (and cutscenes).
    Thanks for all the responses:)
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    I guess games that are story-focused and character driven. I found Skyrim hard to get into because of the lack of this (and cutscenes).
    Thanks for all the responses:)

Dark Souls if you want real life torture. Great game but far and away the hardest console game I have ever played
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Dishonored is a very good game but I wouldn't call it an RPG. It has RPG elements, the same can be said about Far Cry 3...

But it appears to tick the OPs requests
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    What about things like Borderlands 1&2
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dragon's dogma for me. Or tales of graces f.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance of Fate
    White Knight Chronicles 1 & 2
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    Resonance of Fate
    White Knight Chronicles 1 & 2

Forgot about WKC 1 & 2! Fantastic games. Spent many hours on both of them.