White spots under skin on face (whiteheads? milia?)

JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
Forum Member
✭✭✭
yuck! i have noticed over the last couple of months that i have white lumps under my skin on my face (cheeks and chin)

i have tried squeezing them but nothing comes out like it would when i squeeze a blackhead (i get these too :mad:) i am presuming they are whiteheads or milia?

so... how do i get rid of them? i went to the beauticians and got a microdermabrasion facial a couple of weeks ago but it didn't help. is there any other way i can get rid of them or at least reduce them? any idea what causes them?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blocked up skin pawers caurse spots, get that spot stuff you can use daly like clearacel not just a facia pack. Use you're swimming pools saurna and steam room, don't dry your face inbetween though then shower straight away, stay in the saurna and steam for about 15 mins each.

Oh and don't listen to that rubbish about avoiding chocolate and so on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If nothing comes out then they are probably whiteheads, I think milia tend to be more around the eyes, although I am not 100% certain of that (before anyone shouts at me:eek:)

Have you ever tried the oil cleansing method?

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

I've been doing this for a couple of months and my skin has never been better, not had any whiteheads for ages now. :)
  • drumdrum Posts: 3,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    see the doc for referral, they can be removed ( my brother had them) DONT burst them, they're not zits
  • JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the advice so far :)

i have been told that smothering them in sudocrem before going to bed helps to get rid of them. apparently it draws the gunk out? yuck! anyone know if this is true?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JOHNOR wrote: »

I have been told that smothering them in sudocrem before going to bed helps to get rid of them. apparently it draws the gunk out? yuck! anyone know if this is true?

I know a lot of people on here recommend sudocreme but it's never worked for me, but it's worth a try I would say, you can get it in the baby section at Boots or the supermarket and it's not expensive.

Personally I think that nothing draws gunk out better than caster oil. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lippz66 wrote: »
    I know a lot of people on here recommend sudocreme but it's never worked for me, but it's worth a try I would say, you can get it in the baby section at Boots or the supermarket and it's not expensive.

Personally I think that nothing draws gunk out better than caster oil. ;)

where do i get castor oil? will it get rid of the whiteheads as well as any blackheads that might arise? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caster oil is getting a bit more difficult to find these days, I got mine at the pharmacy at Sainsbury's, it cost about £1.40. My local Boots no longer stock it, it used to be the standard remedy for constipation but it tastes absolutely vile so it's no wonder it's no longer popular.

You can buy it online or try a smaller chemist, not sure if Superdrug still sell it.

I've found it amazing for drawing out impurities in the skin, just rub some on your face and then steam it over a bowl of boiling water with a towel draped over your head (don't get too close to the water though) Then wipe it all off with a face cloth wrung out in hot water. If you can then follow that up with a clay facepack, the one I use is Oil of Olay Clarify clay mask, it's excellent. Then try using the oil cleansing method at night instead of commercial cleansers or face washes.

Caster oil is really thick and sticky, and not very glamorous, but if you do this treatment once or twice a week after a short time you really should see a big improvement.

I know it sounds crazy that using oil would be a remedy for oily skin and blackheads/whiteheads but it's the only thing that has ever really worked for me. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caster oil is getting a bit more difficult to find these days, I got mine at the pharmacy at Sainsbury's, it cost about £1.40. My local Boots no longer stock it, it used to be the standard remedy for constipation but it tastes absolutely vile so it's no wonder it's no longer popular.

You can buy it online or try a smaller chemist, not sure if Superdrug still sell it.

I've found it amazing for drawing out impurities in the skin, just rub some on your face and then steam it over a bowl of boiling water with a towel draped over your head (don't get too close to the water though) Then wipe it all off with a face cloth wrung out in hot water. If you can then follow that up with a clay facepack, the one I use is Oil of Olay Clarify clay mask, it's excellent. Then try using the oil cleansing method at night instead of commercial cleansers or face washes.

Caster oil is really thick and sticky, and not very glamorous, but if you do this treatment once or twice a week after a short time you really should see a big improvement.

I know it sounds crazy that using oil would be a remedy for oily skin and blackheads/whiteheads but it's the only thing that has ever really worked for me. :)

thanks, you've been a big help!

anyone else know if sudocreme might help too?
  • macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get milia too on my cheeks, nose and jawline. My beautician pops them with a sterilised needle and removes them once every three months or so :o

Costs about a fiver :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macca@90 wrote: »
    I get milia too on my cheeks, nose and jawline. My beautician pops them with a sterilised needle and removes them once every three months or so :o

Costs about a fiver :)

the beauty shop where i live doesn't offer that :mad:

i wonder if most do?
  • the_polar_bearthe_polar_bear Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i had some whiteheads around my eye. i broke the skin with a needle and squeezed like hell.

did the trick and no longer have them!
  • macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the beauty shop where i live doesn't offer that :mad:

i wonder if most do?

Mine doesn't advertise it I just phoned up and asked :)

I have done it myself but the scabs that were left were not pretty :o

She takes a few minutes and all you are left with is a few pin pricks which disappear in a day or two :)
  • ladydragonladydragon Posts: 3,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i have been told that smothering them in sudocrem before going to bed helps to get rid of them. apparently it draws the gunk out? yuck! anyone know if this is true?

Milia are solid lumps not squidgy under the surface level of the skin so there's no way they can be 'drawn' through the skin pores... Sudocrem tends to dry out whatever it gets slapped on...

Best bet for milia or solid white heads (as opposed to gunky spots with white heads) is to contact your local beauty salon...

The only way to remove them is with a sterilised needle (I use medical needles for sharpness) used in such a way that the milia can be pushed gently out with no squeezing, scraping or stretching damage to the surrounding or surface skin... Trying to squeeze them will end up with redness, broken skin and the possibilty of infection...

The oil cleansing method is really good for many people... Start off with 75% olive oil and 25% castor oil... It won't strip the skin so allowing it to maintain a natural balance of sebum production - just make sure you wipe off the excess oil well with a clean, warm, wet cloth...

HTH x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ladydragon wrote: »
    Milia are solid lumps not squidgy under the surface level of the skin so there's no way they can be 'drawn' through the skin pores... Sudocrem tends to dry out whatever it gets slapped on...

Best bet for milia or solid white heads (as opposed to gunky spots with white heads) is to contact your local beauty salon...

The only way to remove them is with a sterilised needle (I use medical needles for sharpness) used in such a way that the milia can be pushed gently out with no squeezing, scraping or stretching damage to the surrounding or surface skin... Trying to squeeze them will end up with redness, broken skin and the possibilty of infection...

The oil cleansing method is really good for many people... Start off with 75% olive oil and 25% castor oil... It won't strip the skin so allowing it to maintain a natural balance of sebum production - just make sure you wipe off the excess oil well with a clean, warm, wet cloth...

HTH x

thank you. i will start contacting some beauty salons. do you think the oil cleansing method might get rid of the whiteheads?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thank you. i will start contacting some beauty salons. do you think the oil cleansing method might get rid of the whiteheads?

Not sure that it will get rid of them Johnor, but should prevent any new ones, I haven't had any new ones form since starting the oil cleansing method.

Just to let you know, I actually use 50% caster oil with 50% rice bran oil (from sainsbury's) as my cleansing mixture, I find rice bran oil lighter and cheaper than olive, but it's just a matter of finding out what you like best. I usually finish off with a wipe over with some witch hazel or rose water. I've completely given up on all those products for oily or blackhead prone skin, none of them worked and actually in the long run I think they make oily skins worse. Nothing is a total miracle but since using the OCM my skin has improved so much.

Meantime I think it's a good idea trying to find a beautician to get rid of the existing whiteheads rather than sticking needles in them yourself, although they will probably just clear up on their own if you give it time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure that it will get rid of them Johnor, but should prevent any new ones, I haven't had any new ones form since starting the oil cleansing method.

Just to let you know, I actually use 50% caster oil with 50% rice bran oil (from sainsbury's) as my cleansing mixture, I find rice bran oil lighter and cheaper than olive, but it's just a matter of finding out what you like best. I usually finish off with a wipe over with some witch hazel or rose water. I've completely given up on all those products for oily or blackhead prone skin, none of them worked and actually in the long run I think they make oily skins worse. Nothing is a total miracle but since using the OCM my skin has improved so much.

Meantime I think it's a good idea trying to find a beautician to get rid of the existing whiteheads rather than sticking needles in them yourself, although they will probably just clear up on their own if you give it time.

see, it's quite difficult to say what skin type i have. i would have said dry skin, because it can be flakey and tight if i don't moisturise enough, it never looks oily. but i suffer with quite a few blackheads on my cheeks and chin and now of course whiteheads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the OCM is good for any skin type, but apparently caster oil can dry the skin out so maybe use more of the other oil and 25% caster like someone else suggested.

Do exfoliate your face? it could be that dead skin is blocking your pores?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i had some whiteheads around my eye. i broke the skin with a needle and squeezed like hell.

did the trick and no longer have them!

I suffer from milia too. They started out around my eyes and later I got them on my cheekbones.

I did what polar_bear did, but squeezing gently. It does work, but can leave your skin in a bit of a mess (scabby and red) initially, so I'd be inclined to say DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME - even though I've been guilty of doing it myself. You might even risk permanent scarring. I think if I had my time again I'd go to a beautician and get it done professionally.

I've none around my eyes now but still a few on my cheekbones. But at 31 I think - sod it, I'm glad (touch wood) that I don't get as many bad spots as I used to, and I can live with a few wee white heads.

I think milia do go hand in hand with that skin type that is prone to blackheads and spots, I know that's the way my skin is - although, touch wood again, it is much better than it used to be now I'm an old woman in my 30s. :D