Good current horror recommendations

Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
Forum Member
✭✭
I've found myself searching for new horror movies most nights to watch. I'm kinda looking for new(ish) horror movies. Anything from the early 00's til now would be good

Lately I've watched The Shrine, Apartment 143, Wolf Creek, The Amityville Horror re-make (wish I hadn't bothered)

I must admit I do quite like the whole paranormal / hand-held camera style of horror film (Paranormal Activity, Grave Encounters, REC. etc.) but obviously there's not a lot of these kind of films about. I think i'm looking for horrors with a lot of tension and jumpy bits :D I guess I'm at the stage where I'm getting bored with the usual 'killer on the run' and gory kind of movies and looking for something that has a few twists, mysteries, tension and a whole lot of jumpy bits and spooks.

Any recommendations would be grateful :)

Comments

• vagbreathvagbreath Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Collector is pretty great, have you seen that?
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never heard of it. The reviews seem to be crap, but surprisingly the plot seems interesting. They're making a sequel to it as well.

Cheers might have to give it a try.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Evil Dead Trilogy

such a classic series
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished watching The Collector. Very interesting, definitely kept tension from beginning to end, I liked it.

Anymore films recommended would be awesome :)
  • MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cabin in the woods has some surprises in it, I thought it was decent.

The new Rec movie isn't that good, but its still worth a watch if you havn't seen it & don't mind subtitles as its in spanish. Its good to see how it ties in with the previous movies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1649444/

"Insidious" is good too, well up until 20 minutes from the end imo lol.

"Don’t Be Afraid Of The Dark" has some jumpy bits in it, some prefer the original but I prefered the remake.

Smiley is at the cinema next week I think, looks interesting

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2025667/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Moboloco. I've been meaning to see Insidious and Cabin In The Woods so definitely going to. REC, I'm not so sure about. Loved the 1st and 2nd, then was about to watch the 3rd online when I realised they had abandoned the handheld feature after a while and pretty much lost track of what it was, so it kinda put me off.

I think i'll end up watching Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark tomorrow it sounds pretty interesting. Smiley, I had heard of but I thought it was gonna be another cheesy crap thing, but looks to be pretty interesting. Cheers :)
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like you need to see sinister :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Do you like gory films ? The Watermen is gory.

.Silent house is pretty good..The Innkeepers is scary ghost film..Truth or Dare isnt too bad either

( those what i watched currently :D)
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you need to see sinister :)

Not seen Sinister but it sounds awesome :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Not seen Sinister but it sounds awesome :)

I saw it last night its worth a watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh yes I do want to see Sinister, apparently one of the best horrors this year I've heard.

@Orangemaid - I do like Goryfilms. Big fan of the Saw movies :p I'm looking up the movies you mentioned. Silent House seems to be one of those films that takes too long to get into so not very sure. Kinda reminds me of Wolf Creek, as good as it was, it felt like it took 40minutes for anything to happen haha.
    The Innkeepers looks quite interesting, but again apparently it's slow and drawn out.
    Truth or Dare (I thought it was gonna be bad from the cover) but it actually sounds pretty good and I think i'll give it a try alongside The Watermen.

Lol I sound so picky when I'm looking for horrors. I guess I'm trying to find more 'intriguing' films because i guess horror these days have become much more generic so I try to bypass that :p But i'm loving everyones suggestions :)

Has anybody seen House at the End of the Street? Looks interesting?
  • Dan 54Dan 54 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong Turn?
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Chained (2012) was a new one i saw recently. Could do much worse than a cast which has Vincent D'Onofrio, Julia Ormond & Medium's Jake Weber.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wrong Turn is good, I've seen the first 3.. had doubts about the 4th though and apparently there's a 5th

Chained sounds good, apparently it's really tense with a twist sounds like my thing :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    I loved House at the End of the Street, but I seem in the minority, but I'd still recommend. One of my favourite film ever is Triangle, but I don't know if I'd class that as 'horror'. Hmm, more thriller/horror really. A Lonely Place to Die is brilliant and I really like 'The Uninvited'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Hard to recommend as people find different things scary.

There seems to be a trend for horror suspense at the moment rather than the gory stuff like Saw or the unstoppable killer Freddy, Jason etc

To make you jump occasionally a good film is Awakening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB8UAuGBJGM

It's just come out on DVD & Blu ray so may be on Sky Box Office.
    If you've seen The Woman in Black it's a bit like that and the Nicole Kidman film The Others.

Also I've not seen this film but people have said to me it's good. It's not in english, so subtitles)

Martyrs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH_JX1Jm6C0
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    MrPond wrote: »
    I loved House at the End of the Street, but I seem in the minority, but I'd still recommend. One of my favourite film ever is Triangle, but I don't know if I'd class that as 'horror'. Hmm, more thriller/horror really. A Lonely Place to Die is brilliant and I really like 'The Uninvited'.

Yea..Triangle good..Infact im gonna buy it with my next amazon card, but have to wait now till payday :D Its a one to watch again film :D
  • slackereconomyslackereconomy Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if the found footage style does it for you then I'd recommend V/H/S :)
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Films with suspense and dread (most are slow-burn thrillers with a hint of horror):

Session 9
    Lake Mungo (documentary-style)
    The Pact
    The Woman In Black (starring that Harry Potter actor) (it surprisingly has some genuinely creepy moments)
    The Descent
    Julia’s Eyes (Spanish) (flawed, but offers some interesting moments)
    Noroi: the Curse (Japanese) (documentary-style)
    Okaruto (Occult) (Japanese) (documentary-style)
    The Eye (Chinese) (original, not the remake)
    Shutter (Thai) (original, not the remake)
    The Trollhunter (Norwegian) (documentary-style).

I haven't seen this one yet, but my friend really liked Sinister (starring Ethan Hawke). He found it quite suspenseful and creepy with an ending he didn't expect.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best i have seen this year..

The loved ones
    Kill List
    The dead
    Stake land
    The revenant
    Orphan
    The cabin in the woods
    Isolation
    The crazies
  • happymonkeyhappymonkey Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep The Pact was a nice surprise :cool:

Gonna give Chained a watch now I think...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrPond wrote: »

Fan of Melissa George ;)

Did you watch Hunted on Thursday?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep The Pact was a nice surprise :cool:

Gonna give Chained a watch now I think...

I watched The Pact tonight it was not bad but quite hard to follow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched The Pact tonight it was not bad but quite hard to follow.

Yeah I can see that. It was one of those films I had no idea of the plot or anything so I was totally entertained.

I remember I watched From Dusk till Dawn & again had no idea of plot etc... Now that was a way to watch a great film :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fan of Melissa George ;)

Did you watch Hunted on Thursday?

I watched The Amityville Horror remake. Melissa Leo's exposed bum was the best thing about it :p If it wasn't for her I'd have not sat through that movie. I knew when I saw Ryan Reynolds was the lead that it was gonna be a shit horror :sleep:

Btw thanks for all the suggests guys :) I'm looking up all these movies :D