Is my internal/backup battery on Macbook dead?

For the past few weeks, my 2007/8 13in white Macbook has been behaving a little oddly. It won't boot up, but the screen is dimly flickering. I google a bit and came across power management reset. I have done this a few times and eventually got the laptop to boot up. But now it won't anymore. I wonder whether the small, coin-like battery computers have is dead. Could this be the case? If so, could I attempt to replace it myself or do I have to shell out shedloads of dosh to get some Apple techie to do it? I have been looking on the Apple support website and YouTube but so far I haven't been able to come up with anything which might assist me, so all good advice is welcome.

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That doesn't sound like the CMOS battery to me as when that fails you get problems like the date being wrong etc not screen flicker or boot up, not sure but perhaps take it to your nearest apple shop and ask them if they can find whats wrong with it

At that age the CMOS battery is probably reaching end of life so if they have to dive into the gubbins get them to swap it out as i still have nightmares of some old apple machines and their soldered in batteries which took about 15 mins per machine compared to 2 mins for a normal machine