So much music on YouTube - how do they get away with it?

446.09375446.09375 Posts: 961
Forum Member
✭✭
Compared to a couple of years ago, it's a great time to snatch copies of all those songs you've missed over the years, because just about everything I've searched for lately seems to be on there.

How do all those people get away with uploading so many copyrighted pieces? There are users there with hundreds of tracks to choose from. Why do they not get pulled?

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    446.09375 wrote: »
    Compared to a couple of years ago, it's a great time to snatch copies of all those songs you've missed over the years, because just about everything I've searched for lately seems to be on there.

How do all those people get away with uploading so many copyrighted pieces? There are users there with hundreds of tracks to choose from. Why do they not get pulled?

I've noticed a lot of the vevo channels uploading old songs from their current artists.

So like songs from before 2005 and before youtube etc...
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I think there's less music on Youtube than before. Back around 2007 time you could find literally anything on there, and loads of music would leak onto the site as well, but then it seemed record labels finally started paying attention to Youtube and started to remove songs from there. I sometimes have difficulty finding some songs now, especially demos and leaks.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble with music on YouTube is that there's so many videos of songs where the song is in the wrong key. Sometimes it's painfully obvious, a male artist may sound like The Chipmunks but other times it's very subtle but noticeable if you know the song well enough.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bloody nora, Tom Cruise has awesome piano skills

btw it's not really Tom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTwoMGCtPT8&feature=inp-tw-paq
  • CeeOCeeO Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In some cases now (as on a few tracks on my YT channel) some artists, major labels and or publishers are granting permission or not contesting the copyright. Sometimes the result is ads on the video. But make no mistake there are many 'red strike' merchants out there who will get your channel closed down if they get so much as a sniff of copyright material that they manage.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Youtube tried to cull it a while back, and a few other video sites started getting large amounts of traffic as they were willing to continue to offer the music videos. I think YT realised that if they continued, people would lose interest in the site and go download elsewhere.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viacom_International_Inc._v._YouTube,_Inc.
    Viacom International, Inc. v. YouTube, Inc., No. 07 Civ. 2103, is a U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York case in which Viacom sued YouTube, a video-sharing site owned by Google, alleging that YouTube had engaged in "brazen" and "massive" copyright infringement by allowing users to upload and view hundreds of thousands of videos owned by Viacom without permission. Google's motion for summary judgement was granted on the grounds that the Digital Millennium Copyright Act's "safe harbor" provisions shielded Google from Viacom’s copyright infringement claims.

Not specifically music but Google have been taken to task before, they won the case however
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one sampling songs from an album to decide if I am going to buy it? Youtube is great for that.
    It's also so nice to find old music videos when you feel nostalgic...

If the only thing you find on youtube is random people ranting or doing covers and all copyrighted material were to disapear, would people still go there? It's not really in youtube's best interest to really start hunting for all that material.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is absurd and i will admit i have ripped whole albums off Youtube before buying its part of the reasons album sales are so ow the need to clamp down on leaks or albums will become irrelevant.
  • CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True. Why even sign up to Spotify if you can stream everything you want on YouTube? YouTube pays out WAY less than Spotify too (and they pay sod all) to those who've created the music - remember they only started paying a paltry rate of royalties when they were forced to. It is the normalised way in which many (especially young generations) listen to music. That is worrying in terms of artists/songwriters being able to earn a living. It is the biggest threat to them, actually greater than file sharing/torrent sites.

And seeing as Google are more powerful than world governments, it ain't gonna change.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    I find YouTube quite good for music,

Not the studio versions just uploaded by the record companies, I mean like rare demo/live versions of tracks that you wouldn't otherwise hear of,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    It is absurd and i will admit i have ripped whole albums off Youtube before buying its part of the reasons album sales are so ow the need to clamp down on leaks or albums will become irrelevant.

I have no idea how you download stuff from youtube, I just stream I guess, but I have read that you can download. I believe that's the main issue, if you can just download the albums, how many people will go buy them?

But it is such a great promotional tool, so it's does have its advantages.

I don't know how it works with Vivo, but there are ads before the videos sometimes, it could be a way to contibute a little bit as far as the streaming goes... But that also tends to annoy people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRM wrote: »
    True. Why even sign up to Spotify if you can stream everything you want on YouTube? YouTube pays out WAY less than Spotify too (and they pay sod all) to those who've created the music - remember they only started paying a paltry rate of royalties when they were forced to. It is the normalised way in which many (especially young generations) listen to music. That is worrying in terms of artists/songwriters being able to earn a living. It is the biggest threat to them, actually greater than file sharing/torrent sites.

And seeing as Google are more powerful than world governments, it ain't gonna change.

Well, I will look up what spotify is I guess, but the great thing with youtube is that you don't need to sign up indeed, you can stream right away...
  • CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're not bothered with those artists/songwriters being renumerated properly? Streaming brings in a tiny fraction of what sales would earn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people should buy the music that they like instead of downloading it illegally, so it does bother me.

However, I think youtube is a good platform to see if you might like an album before purchasing it, I was merely suggesting ads so that the artists get something from all that streaming that is currently happening for free.

But the problem with sinking sales and illegal downloading is much bigget than that obviously.