Sending a monitor via courier

justjaxjustjax Posts: 937
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm selling my monitor on eBay and realised that courier don't insurance if you send a monitor. If its packed really good, ie lots of bubble wrap should it be okay. What about dead pixels? Is that caused most often in transit?

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt you'd get dead pixels from the monitor bouncing around in the back of a Transit :)

And if the courier you plan to use doesn't offer insurance then find one that does. I would not send a monitor uninsured unless it was really old and crappy and was being sold for a fiver or less.

If it's worth a good few quid and gets trashed before it arrives then you'll be out of pocket after refunding the buyer if you can't claim back from the courier.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dead pixels are normally a fault at the manufacture stage and technically a certain amount of dead pixels are acceptable even on brand new kit unless its for medical/military etc but these days the process is so good its rare to find a screen with any dead pixels

But certainly i'd get another courier as it stands they could stick a size 12 in it and say tough and you're left having to repay a buyer for a damaged screen with no recourse
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    justjax wrote: »
    I'm selling my monitor on eBay and realised that courier don't insurance if you send a monitor. If its packed really good, ie lots of bubble wrap should it be okay. What about dead pixels? Is that caused most often in transit?

You might get away with it, but I'd be worried about using a courier that isn't willing to provide insurance.
  • justjaxjustjax Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    You might get away with it, but I'd be worried about using a courier that isn't willing to provide insurance.
    It appears none of them cover monitors. It's on the general list of exclusions that most have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I doubt you'd get dead pixels from the monitor bouncing around in the back of a Transit :)

And if the courier you plan to use doesn't offer insurance then find one that does. I would not send a monitor uninsured unless it was really old and crappy and was being sold for a fiver or less.

If it's worth a good few quid and gets trashed before it arrives then you'll be out of pocket after refunding the buyer if you can't claim back from the courier.
    As mentioned above, it seems they all exclude certain things and one of them is monitors. I wish I had now set the auction as local collection only but its too late now we there is a bid on it and therefore I now can't remove the courier option. However I have added a note saying I would rather someone that can collect locally.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    It appears none of them cover monitors. It's on the general list of exclusions that most have.

That's interesting. I can sort of understand not wanting to cover CRTs, but not LCDs. Does this mean that every company sending out complete systems to people isn't covered? How about laptops? They contain monitors after all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest my concern was around pixel damage as I thought it was caused in transport. It'll be very frustrating if it does get damaged as I won't be able to claim but if I wrap it up really well in lots of bubble wrap and a good box then hopefully it should be fine. Got 'FRAGILE' tape to put on the box too so hopefully that might prompt them to be a little more cautious with it. I'm still hopeful that the winning bid will be someone local.
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    It seems nobody offers insurance for monitors.

ParcelForce seems to be the favoured courier though.

Got that info from Google.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest my concern was around pixel damage as I thought it was caused in transport. It'll be very frustrating if it does get damaged as I won't be able to claim but if I wrap it up really well in lots of bubble wrap and a good box then hopefully it should be fine. Got 'FRAGILE' tape to put on the box too so hopefully that might prompt them to be a little more cautious with it. I'm still hopeful that the winning bid will be someone local.
    FRAGILE just means "chuck it a bit harder into the back of the van" :D

I notice that City Link don't mention monitors as one of their restricted items.

http://www.city-link.co.uk/sending-a-parcel/prohibited-items/

Other firms like Parcel Force do seem to explicitly exclude monitors from compensation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FRAGILE just means "chuck it a bit harder into the back of the van" :D

I notice that City Link don't mention monitors as one of their restricted items.

Other firms like Parcel Force do seem to explicitly exclude monitors from compensation.

Funny you should say that, half of me wonders the same thing. If you have a driver who hates his job or is in a foul mood then he may be a idiot and just give it a kick for fun.

In terms of City Link, they don't have a very good rep. Was actually thinking of using ParcelForce but will double check with City Link.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just looked at City Link site and your right, not specific mention of it excluding monitors (although LCD screens over 37" included), however they dont allow you to book one off couriers, I guess only via third parties like parcel2go.com but then your under the T&C of the third party it states that these exclusions apply on all services, so doesn't suggest any except for City Link.
  • MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often receive IT/PC stuff via these guys. No mention of monitors on their list of excluded items.
    http://www.dpd.co.uk/content/product-services/restricted_items.jsp
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Migster wrote: »
    I often receive IT/PC stuff via these guys. No mention of monitors on their list of excluded items.
    http://www.dpd.co.uk/content/product-services/restricted_items.jsp
    Looking at their site, a bit like City Link, they seem to only deal with corporate/business not one off couriers bookable for personal use. Found another third party one called http://www.p4d.co.uk and while they don't offer compensation if damaged either, unlike most of the others, they still offer compensation if lost (which oddly the others don't even do). Might go with them and just hope that if I pack it well enough it'll be fine.